Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
whitemithrandir said:
Lumpy said:
Heavier objects fall faster.
a=F/m=(mg+Ffr)/m=g+Ffr/m, where Ffr is the friction force. Thus, out of two objects with the same friction, the heavier will fall faster.
In void, though, all objects fall at the same speed.

So what you're saying is, if Volourn and a 700 pound elephant were to jump off the leaning tower of piza, Volourn would land first?

R00fles!

No. He's full of hot air.

Relien

Scholar
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=585112

This was said in the context of the RPG of the year:

Okay - Oblivion has it's own flaws (no game can be perfect) but they are minor (ie - repetitive combat and not enough variety of monsters)
After playing NWN 2 (even with it's giddying array of stats and spells) - i just couldn't accept the bland graphics - (not even a decent sky or water effects etc) and the clumsy control method that just took away from the immersion that Oblivion can offer.

galsiah

Erudite
Lumpy said:
But heavier objects will still hit the ground sooner (or rather the ground will hit them). Newton's third law and all that.

spacemoose

Erudite
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:
But heavier objects will still hit the ground sooner (or rather the ground will hit them). Newton's third law and all that.

you might want to think about that some more

Data4

Arcane
KreideBein said:
Data4 said:
Holy shit, someone get me a fucking valium...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... &p=8504071

-D4

Argh, one more reason to hate Grumftheld. The definition he tries to attribute to RPGs is so open that pretty much anything can be considered an RPG.

I tried my best to respond to that cleveland steamer of a post... I know it's for naught, but dammit... there's a principle at stake here!

-D4

KreideBein

Scholar
Data4 said:
KreideBein said:
Data4 said:
Holy shit, someone get me a fucking valium...

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... &p=8504071

-D4

Argh, one more reason to hate Grumftheld. The definition he tries to attribute to RPGs is so open that pretty much anything can be considered an RPG.

I tried my best to respond to that cleveland steamer of a post... I know it's for naught, but dammit... there's a principle at stake here!

-D4

I'll bet you $100 that he'll try to use the "Well that's your opinion" line next. He, along with most of the other posters on that forum, is stuck in a bizarre relativistic world.

Lumpy

Arcane
Spacemoose said:
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:

No, he's right. The acceleration of the object is constant, but the acceleration of the planet towards the object is bigger, the heavier the object.

JrK

Prophet
The force is GMm/r^2. In both cases:

GMm/r^2 = m (d^2x/dt^2) so:
GM/r^2 = (d^2x/dt^2)

As you can see the mass dependance of the attracted object falls out. The Attracting's object's mass, however, does not. So in this case, the 'heavier' object attracts earth more than the 'lighter' object.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
JrK said:
The force is GMm/r^2. In both cases:

GMm/r^2 = m (d^2x/dt^2) so:
GM/r^2 = (d^2x/dt^2)

As you can see the mass dependance of the attracted object falls out. The Attracting's object's mass, however, does not. So in this case, the 'heavier' object attracts earth more than the 'lighter' object.
Talking about mathematical equations does not make this the Best Thread Everâ„¢.

galsiah

Erudite
Lumpy said:
Spacemoose said:
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:

No, he's right. The acceleration of the object is constant, but the acceleration of the planet towards the object is bigger, the heavier the object.
I'm right if the mass of the earth is assumed constant in both cases.
I'm not right if the lighter/heavier objects are also part of the earth when testing the heavier/lighter objects.

Presumably that's what Spacemoose means. Assuming constant mass of the entire system (which I wasn't, but perhaps it makes sense), the objects will collide sooner the higher the difference in mass (in void). I.e. the lighter one hits first. [EDIT: nonsense - they'll collide at the same time. Funny old world.]

If my thinking is flawed, that's because I'm not doing much of it :).

Lumpy

Arcane
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:
Spacemoose said:
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:

I'm right if the mass of the earth is assumed constant in both cases.
I'm not right if the lighter/heavier objects are also part of the earth when testing the heavier/lighter objects.

Presumably that's what Spacemoose means. Assuming constant mass of the entire system (which I wasn't, but perhaps it makes sense), the objects will collide sooner the higher the difference in mass (in void). I.e. the lighter one hits first.

If my thinking is flawed, that's because I'm not doing much of it :).
M is always greater than -m1-m2, obviously. If m1 is greater than m2, then M(m1-m2)>(m2-m1)(m2+m1), thus Mm1-Mm2>m2^2 - m1^2. m1(m1+M)=m2(m2+M), thus m1g/(M+m2)>m2g/(M+m1), so a1>a2.
Thus, the heavier object will hit the ground earlier, even if the other object is on the ground.

KreideBein

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=585854

A sad, sad thread.

Is it just me, or is Nick trying to establish himself as the most massively retarded person on the ESF? His posts are all horrifically content-free advertisements for Oblivion. I'm surprised that Darkflame's latest troll was banned while Nick is still around posting his tripe.

galsiah

Erudite
Lumpy said:
m1g/(M+m2)>m2g/(M+m1)
Yes
so a1>a2.
No.

a1 = G(M+m2)/r^2

So you'd need to show that:
M+m2 > M+m1
=> G(M+m2)/r^2 > G(M+m1)/r^2
=> a1 > a2

However from the assumption that m1 > m2, it's trivially true that M+m1 > M+m2.

The heavier object actually accelerates more slowly in a vacuum. This is what you'd expect, since its mass cancels, and the world is lighter (since you've removed a heavy object).

They'll still hit at the same time though, since the heavier object pulls the world towards it slightly more quickly than the lighter object.

In both cases you end up with a total acceleration of: G(M+m2+m1)/r^2

Either as: G(M+m2)/r^2 + Gm1/r^2
Or as: G(M+m1)/r^2 + Gm2/r^2
[always assuming the same total mass]

I still think the lighter object ought to hit first (assuming fixed mass of the system), but the laws of physics tend to imply otherwise. Who can say which is right :).

NB: you should use G rather than g if you're using the mass of the earth in the calculation. G is the fundamental constant. g is only used when you want the mass of the earth already factored in - not true when you're considering it as a variable.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours

Monica21

Scholar
KreideBein said:
Is it just me, or is Nick trying to establish himself as the most massively retarded person on the ESF?
Could be. There's this little gem:

Nick the Imperial said:
Remember at the end when Martin had no choice but to shatter the amulet of kings and transform into the dragon and fight Mehrunes? Well he sacrificed himself to save the entire empire, just like Jesus died for our sins on the cross.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
BEST.TROLL.EVER.

thumbsup to however the fuck is Dorio

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (printed)

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (original thread) probably will get deleted in 3 minutes, in which case refer to the link above

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (2nd printed version) Wow! It survived more then expected, I guess Summer is finaly getting some sleep for a change
Damn! I was too late. Summer's built-in brain chip must've woke her up so that she could delete it!

KreideBein

Scholar
OccupatedVoid said:
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
BEST.TROLL.EVER.

thumbsup to however the fuck is Dorio

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (printed)

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (original thread) probably will get deleted in 3 minutes, in which case refer to the link above

The phylosofy behind Oblivion (2nd printed version) Wow! It survived more then expected, I guess Summer is finaly getting some sleep for a change
Damn! I was too late. Summer's built-in brain chip must've woke her up so that she could delete it!

So those were actual threads, and not just a way for Romanian_Dude2005 to Vaan us? If the former, what was in the thread?

Monica21 said:
Could be. There's this little gem:

Nick the Imperial said:
Remember at the end when Martin had no choice but to shatter the amulet of kings and transform into the dragon and fight Mehrunes? Well he sacrificed himself to save the entire empire, just like Jesus died for our sins on the cross.

Dear God. He's either a moron or he's twelve years old. Or maybe both. Whatever the case, he should be kept away from all computers for the good of society.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom