Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

HardCode

Erudite
(Monica21 @ Nov 4 2006, 01:33 PM) *

Hmm.....
Bad comparisons. Try Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate. Stuff is a magazine though, so not so much there. wink.gif
Advanced in what sense? Gameplay? No. Choices and consequence? No. Dialogue? No. Graphics? YES!
What's solid about the gameplay?
Please define "plays solidly." Also, it may surprise you to learn that freedom != RPG. If you play a Paladin-type character, you should not be able to join the Dark Brotherhood. If you play an evil character, there should also be restrictions on what you can and can't do in the game. I could provide other examples, like how does it make sense for a non-magical character to become head of the Mages' Guild, but that's all I feel like right now.
Good storylines do not necessarily make good RPGs.
You can't do and be whatever you want, and you don't choose to constantly fight. The game decides that for you. Show me where the diplomatic quest solutions are?

So, no, I don't believe Oblivion is an RPG.

TES Typical Moron said:
Well I respect your opinion but you actually don't have to fight, I just spent a week in the Imperial city hanging out and eating at fancy restuarants and making spells and reading books at the arcane university and riding on my horse with the entire great forest and Jerall mountains and Bruma in the backround etc.

No further questions, Your Honor. My client agrees to accept the plea bargain of insanity and spend the next 10 years bouncing around a padded room.

Nael

Arcane
HardCode said:
(Monica21 @ Nov 4 2006, 01:33 PM) *

Hmm.....
Bad comparisons. Try Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate. Stuff is a magazine though, so not so much there. wink.gif
Advanced in what sense? Gameplay? No. Choices and consequence? No. Dialogue? No. Graphics? YES!
What's solid about the gameplay?
Please define "plays solidly." Also, it may surprise you to learn that freedom != RPG. If you play a Paladin-type character, you should not be able to join the Dark Brotherhood. If you play an evil character, there should also be restrictions on what you can and can't do in the game. I could provide other examples, like how does it make sense for a non-magical character to become head of the Mages' Guild, but that's all I feel like right now.
Good storylines do not necessarily make good RPGs.
You can't do and be whatever you want, and you don't choose to constantly fight. The game decides that for you. Show me where the diplomatic quest solutions are?

So, no, I don't believe Oblivion is an RPG.

TES Typical Moron said:
Well I respect your opinion but you actually don't have to fight, I just spent a week in the Imperial city hanging out and eating at fancy restuarants and making spells and reading books at the arcane university and riding on my horse with the entire great forest and Jerall mountains and Bruma in the backround etc.

No further questions, Your Honor. My client agrees to accept the plea bargain of insanity and spend the next 10 years bouncing around a padded room.

My favorite thing to do in Oblivion is pick my belly-button lint.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My favourite thing to do in Oblivion is...
...wait, I haven't bought or played Oblivion!

R00fles!

whatusername

Scholar
my favurite thing 2 do in OBLIVION is 2 rollplay as a guard. its fun. heres wat i do:

at 8 am i change my clothes and eet my brakefast
at 9 am i go outside and patrol around the sitee 4 12 hrs
at 9 pm i go 2 sleep

how cool is dat??? i meen, total roleplaying!!!!

Sentenza

Scholar
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:
In void, though, all objects fall at the same speed.
But heavier objects will still hit the ground sooner (or rather the ground will hit them). Newton's third law and all that.
Holy fuck, who the hell tried to teach basic physics to you (and failed)?
IN THE VOID (read, in the absence of air friction force) ANY object is subject to the same acceleration DESPITE his mass

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Technically, falling implies gravity. Gravity working on an object is proportional to mass.

If you mean a void without gravity, yes, but acceleration is still not the same. It takes more energy to accelerate more mass. When it has reached a certain speed, however, it remains constant. (Constant, as in no decrease, I'm not talking about terminal velocity, which means no increase)

The word 'falling' implies gravity, however, so you can't have something 'fall' in a void.

Lumpy

Arcane
Sentenza said:
galsiah said:
Lumpy said:
In void, though, all objects fall at the same speed.
But heavier objects will still hit the ground sooner (or rather the ground will hit them). Newton's third law and all that.
Holy fuck, who the hell tried to teach basic physics to you (and failed)?
IN THE VOID (read, in the absence of air friction force) ANY object is subject to the same acceleration DESPITE his mass
Third law, moron. For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
That means that when a planet attracts a body, the body will attract the planet with an equal force. So the acceleration of the planet will be bigger the heavier the body, thus the RELATIVE acceleration of the body towards the planet will be bigger. Hence "or rather the ground will hit them."

MF said:
Technically, falling implies gravity. Gravity working on an object is proportional to mass.

If you mean a void without gravity, yes, but acceleration is still not the same. It takes more energy to accelerate more mass. When it has reached a certain speed, however, it remains constant.

The word 'falling' implies gravity, however, so you can't have something 'fall' in a void.
:roll:
He was talking about a planet surrounded by void, so that there is no friction. Gravity can also exist in void.
And yes, gravity is proportional with mass, G=mg, but acceleration is equal to F/m, in this case, a=mg/m=g. The absolute acceleration of a body, compared to an inertial frame, will be equal to g.
Also, there is no terminal velocity in void. It exists in air because friction is proportional to speed, so when the object has reached a certain speed, friction becomes equal to weight, removing acceleration.

Sentenza

Scholar
MF said:

If you mean a void without gravity, yes, but acceleration is still not the same.
YES it is
It takes more energy to accelerate more mass.
The FORCE is greater, still the ACCELERATION is the same (in the absence of friction force)
When it has reached a certain speed, however, it remains constant.
Holy fuck, It's ALWAYS CONSTANT, it's the FORCE wich change according to the mass and how distant the masses are from each other
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Just to clarify:

Given 2 different object with masses m1, m2

F1=g*(m1*M)/r^2

F2=g*(m2*M)/r^2

Given F=ma

->

F1 = m1 * a1 ; F2 = m2 * a2

->

g*(m1*M)/r^2 = m1 * a1 -> a1 = g*(m1*M)/(r^2*m1) = g*M/r^2

g*(m2*M)/r^2 = m2 * a2 -> a2 = g*(m2*M)/(r^2*m2) = g*M/r^2

you can notice bot objects are subject to the same acceleration

JrK

Prophet
Sentenza said:

That's all fine and dandy, but you are forgetting the force that the smaller objects exert on the big object. When looking at that case, the 'heavier' object exerts a BIGGER force on the big object, hence the big object accelerates faster towards the 'heavier' object than the 'lighter' one. Or in formule mode:

g*(m1*M)/r^2 = M * a1 -> a1 = g*(m1*M)/(r^2*M) = g*m1/r^2
g*(m2*M)/r^2 = M * a2 -> a2 = g*(m2*M)/(r^2*M) = g*m2/r^2

As you can see, a2 in that case is bigger. Assuming m2 is the larger mass.

ALSO, there IS a terminal velocity. It's called c, or the lightspeed. Let's not forget relativity there! :wink:

Durwyn

Prophet
Sentenza said:
MF said:

If you mean a void without gravity, yes, but acceleration is still not the same.
YES it is
It takes more energy to accelerate more mass.
The FORCE is greater, still the ACCELERATION is the same (in the absence of friction force)
When it has reached a certain speed, however, it remains constant.
Holy fuck, It's ALWAYS CONSTANT, it's the FORCE wich change according to the mass and how distant the masses are from each other
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Just to clarify:

Given 2 different object with masses m1, m2

F1=g*(m1*M)/r^2

F2=g*(m2*M)/r^2

Given F=ma

->

F1 = m1 * a1 ; F2 = m2 * a2

->

MAN! What the fuck had Oblivion done to you! I told you not to throw that fireball! You have overdozed havoc physics!

Sentenza

Scholar
galsiah said:
Sorry, misread it
MF said:
but acceleration is still not the same. It takes more energy to accelerate more mass. When it has reached a certain speed, however, it remains constant.
Still this doesn't make sense

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
JrK said:
Sentenza said:

That's all fine and dandy, but you are forgetting the force that the smaller objects exert on the big object. When looking at that case, the 'heavier' object exerts a BIGGER force on the big object, hence the big object accelerates faster towards the 'heavier' object than the 'lighter' one. Or in formule mode:

ALSO, there IS a terminal velocity. It's called c, or the lightspeed. Let's not forget relativity there! :wink:

You slept through physics class, didn't you?

Lumpy

Arcane
JrK said:
Normal particles can't even reach light-speed, much less exceed it. So it isn't really a terminal velocity, since that's the maximum speed that can be reached by a certain particle.
Also, the reason particles can't reach the speed of light is that it would require too much energy.
Besides, tachyons could travel FTL.

Lumpy

Arcane
HanoverF said:
JrK said:
Sentenza said:

You slept through physics class, didn't you?
No, he probably didn't. He's preety much right.

John Yossarian

Magister
If he's a theoretical physicist you're lucky he even put that shit in there. Hell, if it were me I would change the units for every formula, forget about constants, and let engineers worry about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom