Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't think I'd get the chance to use this so soon after saving it, but
my-god-its-full-of-stars.jpg

I’m familiar with the arguments against day-one and on-disc DLC – making it takes away from production of the main game, publishers are locking a part of something you should have already bought for $60, and so forth. The problem is that they make no sense. The problem is I don’t care.

Yeah, that's precisely the problem.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So he would rather pay for content that should be in the game in the first place, because if new content releases later he doesn't care about the game any longer?

When did Forbes' standards start slipping so low with regards to the intelligence of those who write for them?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pity, I thought Forbes were one of the last bastions of integrity in mainstream games journalism.
They're not journalists; they're bloggers, each with a different set of opinions.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I’m familiar with the arguments against day-one and on-disc DLC – making it takes away from production of the main game, publishers are locking a part of something you should have already bought for $60, and so forth. The problem is that they make no sense. The problem is I don’t care.

Yeah, that's precisely the problem.
I'd much prefer it if developers were actually able to charge more than $60 for games that are worth it rather than trying to sneak in higher prices with DLC. Unfortunately the mouth-breathing masses are unable to do a proper cost-benefit analysis on the fly and will balk at any game with a higher price tag than they are used to. They'll accept DLC since that is a separate purchasing decision and so doesn't trigger the reflex that they are paying more than they are used to.

Day one DLC inevitably leads to piecemeal game design and disjointed games, and is an abomination that should be discouraged whenever possible.

Angthoron

Arcane
Some decent comments to that article.

Day 0 DLC is just an additional way to cash in on the hype, anyway.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Less DLC more Expansion packs, that way the ADHD tards have a reason to dust off a game if it holds more than 15 minutes of new shiny, people dont feel like they are being nickel and dimed by companies, developers can put more effort into fixing things and expanding on elements in their story and customers actually enjoy the game content.

Perhaps DLC is indicative of the new breed of business ideology, where you only look to the next quarter profit margin instead of annual growth.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
What the Forbes post implies, but doesn't really engage with, is the author's support for de-bundling, the latest trend/fad in product pricing. The rationale he proposes for supporting Day 1 DLC basically boils down to breaking the game into its constituent parts, then selling each of those parts individually. In theory, debundling gives consumers choice (especially in areas where discrete products were bundled, like cable tv and music albums), but in my experience its used primarily to attempt an "upsell" at a moment in which the customer is least discerning.

So essentially the author is unaware that all he is doing is criticizing gamers for disagreeing with the latest b-school conventional wisdom.

LivingOne

Savant
:what:

Btw was this already posted somewhere?:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2012/11/15/they-got-him-ron-gilbert-is-a-brony/
They Got Him: Ron Gilbert is a Brony.

Posted by Dack on 15 Nov 2012

First it was just little girls into My Little Pony; then it was a select group of adults; soon adults who formed conventions; then Andrew W.K; now? Game developers. That’s right, Ron Gilbert. As seen in the tweet below, Gilbert has admitted to his brony-prowess:
The man known for such classic adventure games as Manic Mansion and Monkey Island is addicted to the game so much that he’s willing to risk playing it around sketchy people on trains. Clearly, this is all Tim Schafer’s fault. Before Gilbert signed up with Double Fine, we nary heard a peep about rainbow-colored ponies. Now he’s tweeting about it. For shame, Tim Schafer. For shame.
Still, a panel with Gilbert and Andrew W.K. at Canterlot Gardens would be epic. Maybe it’s not so bad, after all.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I occasionally spend a few minutes on cellphone horsey games while waiting for the train as well. No fucking ponies though.
rua2.jpg

As a mindless pick up and waste 2-5 minutes distraction it's right up there with fruit ninja and edge. Once the bus is actually there I switch to King of Dragon Pass, Neuroshima Hex or Ticket to Ride since the trip to work is 35 mins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom