Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER TOP 100 LIST: http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/slide/all/

This one is a bit more interesting as they divide by decade.
Surprisingly decent, except for some overrated stuff like Braid, Bioshock and Mass Effect 3. And they should just choose between Guitar Hero & Rock Band, naming the two is a waste.

And I don't get why he almost always name the first game of the series... Sillent Hill, Wizardry, Resident Evil, Megamen, Civilization, King Quest, KoToR... most of this games were vastly improved on their sequels, naming the first one seems like a bit of lazyness.

If the mic is connected to the earphones, the vibrations would reach it. Of course, the kid still wouldn't hear his moans...unless he was moaning very loudly, I guess?

of course it's bullshit why would you even analyze this story

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
And I don't get why he almost always name the first game of the series... Sillent Hill, Wizardry, Resident Evil, Megamen, Civilization, King Quest, KoToR... most of this games were vastly improved on their sequels, naming the first one seems like a bit of lazyness.

Yeah, especially considering how weirdly inconsistent he is.

I can understand picking an earlier game when the sequels are better primarily because they smooth out the rough edges of the more iconic original (GTA3 vs. Vice City, later Guitar Hero/Rock Band games [or the Madden games, if you want to be a douchebag all your life]), but that doesn't seem to be case here; he's picked a few sequels that really don't do anything that new (Arkham City, ME3, Oblivion) and ignored some sequels that are definite improvements.

Ignoring Silent Hill 2 but including Mass Effect 3? C'mon!

Arkham City is a huge improvement on Asylum.

That is all I have to say because I am not reading the list because Jesus I have 10k posts here and I still value my time too much to do that

To be honest, I didn't play Arkham City much, so I may be full of shit, but it seemed that its gameplay was Asylum gameplay done better (although if its that much better maybe I should probably put Asylum on the queue?). My point wasn't exactly that the sequels he included were bad, just that he was inconsistent about which sequels he used. Silent Hill 2 seems to be generally recognized as significantly better than the original as well, but it wasn't included.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would say that he is just a retarded kid that probably never played a single game from old series like Wizardry or King Quest, so he don't know what to choose, but yeah, even Sillent Hill 2 ins't there... have we really reached a point where gaming journalists don't even know PS2 games? o_O

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Arkham Asylum was well-received because for once we got a superhero game that didn't totally suck balls. Arkham City might have been an improvement, but it wasn't really the breath of fresh air that Asylum was.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER TOP 100 LIST: http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/slide/all/

This one is a bit more interesting as they divide by decade.
Surprisingly decent, except for some overrated stuff like Braid, Bioshock and Mass Effect 3. And they should just choose between Guitar Hero & Rock Band, naming the two is a waste.

Surprisingly decent, except for the listo_O? And sh 2 is overrated, sh1 and 3 are the best...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Arkham City is a huge improvement on Asylum.

That is all I have to say because I am not reading the list because Jesus I have 10k posts here and I still value my time too much to do that

To be honest, I didn't play Arkham City much, so I may be full of shit, but it seemed that its gameplay was Asylum gameplay done better (although if its that much better maybe I should probably put Asylum on the queue?). My point wasn't exactly that the sequels he included were bad, just that he was inconsistent about which sequels he used. Silent Hill 2 seems to be generally recognized as significantly better than the original as well, but it wasn't included.
Yeah, I get what you mean, I just feel kind of compelled to defend AC; it took everything bad about AA and improved on it, and in that sense, it's exactly what a sequel should be. Nothing was nerfed or dumbed down... much as it was a pretty simple game to begin with, that still feels worth mentioning in a day and age where developers seem willing to scrape the bottom of every barrel for the sake of a bigger and bigger audience :P . It's obviously dependent on how much you like AA's gameplay to begin with - I did like it - but everything I hated in AA was fixed in the sequel. Still not a great game, but a damn good one.

Its depth, such as it is, isn't immediately apparent; it's late in the game that it really shines. Play on the hardest difficulty, maybe even download a New Game Plus save so you have every combat ability and option available from the start - it's not easier for it, the enemies are appropriately more varied and difficult, so it's just frankly a way to make it an interesting game - and you have a pretty great arcade beat-em-up. It never becomes a deep game, as it where, but it's a great fast-paced arcadey challenge that I honestly didn't expect from the first few hours. I don't blame you for not playing on to get to the good stuff, because it comes far too late. Fucking ease-them-in-and-don't-scare-them design.

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is the best. It's for the sake of story and atmosphere, though. The only one I'll really recommend to people, but yeah.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Silent Hill 2 is the best. It's for the sake of story and atmosphere, though. The only one I'll really recommend to people, but yeah.
why should i care about the pretentious story? I play horror games to give me the creeps and not to feel :obviously:! As for atmosphere, its not really the best. SH3 shits all over any SH in terms of atmosphere, a true feat...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Surprisingly decent, except for the listo_O?
Considering "Top 100" lists, is quite good, manages to appeal to every genre & fan, with only few dumbshit like ME3... on the whole list I would probably change like 10-15 games, so it's leaps and bounds ahead of oither lists...

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Silent Hill 2 is the best. It's for the sake of story and atmosphere, though. The only one I'll really recommend to people, but yeah.
why should i care about the pretentious story? I play horror games to give me the creeps and not to feel :obviously:! As for atmosphere, its not really the best. SH3 shits all over any SH in terms of atmosphere, a true feat...
Yeah, story and atmosphere aren't related at all.

Bladderwrack

Augur
The story and atmosphere in SH2 trumps all others, the only thing SH3 has over 2 is the fucked up environments. Fuck off if you think Heather Mason is a stronger character than James Sunderland.

circ

Arcane
Yeah, I get what you mean, I just feel kind of compelled to defend AC; it took everything bad about AA and improved on it, and in that sense, it's exactly what a sequel should be. Nothing was nerfed or dumbed down... much as it was a pretty simple game to begin with, that still feels worth mentioning in a day and age where developers seem willing to scrape the bottom of every barrel for the sake of a bigger and bigger audience :P . It's obviously dependent on how much you like AA's gameplay to begin with - I did like it - but everything I hated in AA was fixed in the sequel. Still not a great game, but a damn good one.
Well ok then. I feel kind of complelled not to defend AC, because where exactly did it improve on the original? And that's with me agreeing that AA was a decent game, mainly because of its gameplay and atmosphere making it one of the better superhero games ever. But AA vs. AC - ignoring the free roam mode after game completion, although the free roam wasn't much to cheer at even before that. Story is involving at times but just unnecessarily twisty, and a number of twists just feel like they're there for the sake of gametime padding. Riddler filling an entire prison with objects? Yeah ok. Several city blocks? Um no, what is he, The Retarded? Fights are exactly the same, and they're repetitive though can be interesting with combos. Boss fights are the exact same boring shit as in the original. Gadgets got expanded but not necessarily for the better, as a lot of them are just there for padding and have no other use. Publisher pressure may have cut out tons of content, but the content that's there is in no way revolutionary or commendable.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
It's kind of heresy around these part to hail PS:T as the best rpg because of the story. Why the same doesn't apply in a survival horror game? Don't get me wrong, i agree that SH2 has arguably the best storie in the series, but that doesn't make it automatically the best SH. Other features to make judgement and all that...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
The story and atmosphere in SH2 trumps all others, the only thing SH3 has over 2 is the fucked up environments. Fuck off if you think Heather Mason is a stronger character than James Sunderland.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? And i really coudn't care less if Heather is a stronger character than James. Im just in for the creeps...

Well ok then. I feel kind of complelled not to defend AC, because where exactly did it improve on the original? .

Well, I feel kind of compelled to defend his quasi-compulsory defence of AC against your ambivalently compelled apathy towards defending AC. Even if the new fighting and gadgets are identical or superfluous to those of AA, the free roam/open world sounds like a pretty decent improvement.

Riddler filling an entire prison with objects? Yeah ok. Several city blocks? Um no, what is he, The Retarded?

Yes, actually. His superpower is giving his nemesis hints on how to stop his schemes. He is now and has always been The Retarded.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It's kind of heresy around these part to hail PS:T as the best rpg because of the story.
Yeah, but that's because of cognitive dissonance. I don't see any clothes on the Emperor, to be honest; PS:T is a great story and nothing else. It's told with a great awareness and use of the medium - which, arguably, SH2 isn't - but beyond that... people like a good story that draws them in. I've rarely felt a story that does that more than SH2's, and to me, that was central to the story. You were drawn in along with James, you could imagine yourself as James while still seeing him as a distinct character. That's the key point. If you don't feel any connection to the protagonist, you're a spectator who doesn't give a fuck. There are games that manage to make the player the protagonist and be scary for it - Amnesia would be the token example - but if it's a developed character, then yes, the story is central to the player's engagement. Otherwise you're just watching stupid shit happen to some idiot you don't care about.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
2zstx93.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom