Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Kitako

Arcane
The best example is QTEs. You either engage in them emotionally or win them, but you cannot do both at the same time.
This is the most retarded article I read this month, thank you for give another stab in my pierced soul.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There's also the likes of Simcity, most 4x games, and probably a bunch of other stuff. The idea isn't unsound, but the author's popamole consoletard experiences lead him to the silly conclusion that games should become interactive movies. Removing actual challenge (which doesn't have to imply removing perceived challenge too, as in HL2 or Amnesia) doesn't automatically translate to removing gameplay altogether. I'd argue the opposite - that in the absence of challenge, the game needs to be deeply interactive and allow for meaningful decision-making on the part of the player.

His point about no-gameplay sequences being inherently more memorable manages to be painfully trivial and patently false at the same time. WOW, SO PEOPLE MOSTLY REMEMBER MOMENTS THAT ARE DESIGNED TO STAND OUT, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT. And it's false because this is simply not true in good games. When I look back at Stalker, everything I remember involves the core gameplay. Ditto for SS2, and mostly for Thief (although those cutscenes were so beautiful). If you pick crappy forgettable shooters as your sample, of course the non-gameplay parts are going to stand out, since everything else is banal shit boring.

If this follows the path of that one thread I made, we'll soon have DamnedRegistrations talking about Oblivion in here. Hopefully not.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I refrained from starting a separate thread for this because it was just too easy

Machocruz

Arcane
Bioshock - No memorable play to be found. Left with narrative and presentation.

Call of Duty - Ditto

Grand THeft Auto 3+ - first time I got 5 star wanted level and spent 30 minutes throwing grenades at police from the top of a car park, carjacking a tank. Gameplay

Red Dead Redemption - Clearing out a house of murderers, along side sherrif and posse. Waiting for one of those buggers to stick his head out so I can push his wig back. The nice, heavy feel of my six-shooter and satisfaction when I accurately pop moles and see hats fly off heads. Gameplay.

Uncharted 3 - non-game interactive movie.

So he picks two crap shooters, an interactive action film, and two games where I show how gameplay provides some of their most memorable moments. He's not very good at this.

I also remember my first win in a Civ game, fighting Alma in Ninja Gaiden, figuring shit out in Shadowgate, finally being able to pull off special moves with Ryu in Street Fighter 2, killing Frank Horrigan, all of UFO Defence.

But then, I'm not ashamed of video games and don't need them to be legitimized through pretensions of being something else.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Grand THeft Auto 3+ - first time I got 5 star wanted level and spent 30 minutes throwing grenades at police from the top of a car park, carjacking a tank. Gameplay

This was my first thought too. Having a tank saved in your garage afterwards is pretty sweet as well.

As for Bioshock, I distinctly remember eating chips out of the garbage and wondering why Andrew Ryan wanted me to beat him to death with a golf club. Awfully complicated suicide method.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
"But if we remove the challenge and trial and error gameplay from video games, can we even still call them video games?"

You can call then movies or interactive screensavers dumbfuck. This is what happens when you open the floodgates of retardo mainstream...

Also, about the author in that site:

“I started making games in 1992, which must be right before World War 2. I’ve made point and click adventures, strategy/RPG-strategy games, and a few shooters (Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and designed parts of Gears of War: Judgment). But no matter what’s the genre, I am always most interested in the escapist factor of gaming: the worlds, the stories and the mood.”

Adrian Chmielarz, Game Designer

The sad pattern of retardation from the game developers. Its like they devolve to game journalist levels as they get old. Notice that he didn't even bother to name the games he worked for in the 90's. Maybe he was just a grunt, but who knows...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And on that note

Ever since I read Warren Spector's Remodeling RPGs for the New Millenium I've really wanted to read the article he cited at the beginning ("It's ROLE-playing, Stupid!"). Fortune has smiled on me:

Mv9pnEi.png

xljvYsh.png

So much rage this can induce. :love:It's everything for which I hoped.

Last edited:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
220px-11.30.10SpectorDavidByLuigiNovi2.jpg

Role-playing isn't about statistics or exploring randomly generated worlds full of crate-buildings.
Yes, it is.

It isn't about quests and encounters every sixteen steps.
Yes, it is.

It isn't even about +37 Swords of Instant Critical Hits That Do Double Damage From Behind!
Yes, it is especially about this.

Warren Specter may not like it, but this is the way the genre has been for 33 years. He is not going to change it now. But leave aside tradition. These are the features of RPGs that have had consistently positive feedback from players for all of those 33 years. Meaning that all age groups have played it in that span of time. And all of them have enjoyed these very aspects of RPGs.

It is fine to be all high and mighty and mock finding the next most powerful magical item, such as the +37 Swords of Instant Critical Hits That Do Double Damage From Behind. But what did it feel like it to go the Adventurer's Mart in BG2, a buy the very expensive Vhailor's Helm, and use it to make a Simulacrum of yourself? And what did it feel like to build yourself the Vorpal Sword of the Githyanki? And otherwise, what was it like to work your way up to become the head of the Mages Guild in Daggerfall, get access to the Daedra Summoner, spend a fortune to speak to a Daedra Lord, and race against time to do his bidding to get a Skull of Corruption? And best of all, the Glamredhel sword in Betrayal at Krondor. This stuff makes us feel good, and keeps us coming back.

And of course we won't spend 20-30 hours on the game if we are not seeing some statistic go up. Getting a Drow Sorcerer/Paladin/Monk with 50 Spell Resistance, 72 Armor Class, and super-high Charisma-boosted Saving Throws in Icewind Dale 2 means you finally get someone whom you can throw between 200 enemies without getting hurt. That statistic represents the feeling of power, and to diminish its role in RPGs is to castrate the genre.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've never really understood how people who have a high level of antipathy for stats and other traditional elements of the genre ever came to care enough about rpgs to want to develop them (at least those who got into it before introducing rpg elements into other genres became fairly common).

ETA: And since Spector is pretty central in the introduction of RPG elements into other game genres, its particularly strange that he doesn't seem to like these elements very much.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
hmm... Spector contradicted himself a lot in that article.

Players should have mulriple solutions to all problems

but, Players shoudl be given binary choices

Players should be able to role-play different personalities

but, There shouldn't be lots of branching dialogue

etc...

That was in '98... guess he went full retard after Deus Ex or something.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I wonder if Specter has even played a PnP session before.
Did he say something that betrays his lack of familiarity with P&P?

I am asking, because I have not played P&P myself.

He does rag on P&P throughout his article, implying that he has a lot of frustration with it.

Angthoron

Arcane
"It betrays our geeky roots".
I stopped reading there.
Reading Daily Mail is more enlightening than Warren Specter's opinionated editorials. These days he's a typical "aging celebrity developer" douche that views his opinions as infallible and shit.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What the fuck, no branching dialogue? Warren Spector is a fucking idiot, no wonder he went to do Mickey Mouse shit.

:decline:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing about Warren Spector is that he just really isn't an RPG designer at all.

It's telling that his work on the Ultima series was basically to make Ultima games that were more adventure-like, and moreover that this was widely considered to be an improvement by the fans.

This may tell us that Ultima always "wanted to be" an adventure game, sort of like how Mass Effect always "wanted to be" a shooter with dialogue choices.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Nanowar suits this video SO GOOD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom