Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Knightly said:
i like the leveling in OB. mods eist for those who want to make changes. morrowind, can become too strong by level 25. the nasties get stronger so gaining levels don't turn them into wimps too soon.

The bad news is that this guy is for real. No one uses an account with that many posts trolls(except Volourn). So he is real.

That's it the RPG industry is DEAD.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Alright, I saw this link on the NMA Forums.

I want you to prepare yourself.

Take any hard objects out of your room (I'm not talking about your dick either, this is serious folks!)

This will make you want to kill someone, and emedding an axe into your monitor is highly unliky to do so to the person in question.

Alright ready?

Here we go:

If this is what those fanboys want...
"rmerritt Says:
January 22nd, 2007 at 8:37 am

I so hope Fallout 3 is NOT turnbased. We aren’t running 60 mhz computers and RPGs don’t need to be turn based anymore. I like turn based in some games (such as X-com), but I hate in in RPGs. Like Garry Whitta said, it just takes me out of the game. They were ok back in the day but now, I find the whole “lets pull you out of the game for the board game like combat mini game” mechanic really jarring. Maybe some sort of system like how the older might & magics did it would be fine or whatever the hell is in KOTOR. I love Fallout. Had a great setting, characters, writing, but the combat was for me, horribly unfun. Combat took way too long to resolve in Fallout. Sure there was the odd “hit across the room in the eyes” *wow* moment. However most of the time, you end up standing 2 feet from someone, spend five minutes missing them only to have one of you NPC party to have a critical thumble and blow your arm off. Then you got a few levels and become an invincible god of small arms and the locational selection exists only to keep the player from falling completely asleep. I’ll buy it and play it no matter what type of combat Bethesda ends up using but I really really hope its more like “Oblivion with Guns” than not.

For me, Fallout 3 needs

1. Retro future gone wrong setting. The best fallout games are never far from their retro futuristic roots. In the 1930s to 50s we had a very different view of what the future would be. Fallout used this as a starting point. To me, this is the defining feature of the Fallout universe. Straying from this and you end up with Mad Max or Postman. (or the console Fallout BOS)
2. The established universe character and items. Things such as Ghouls, radscorps, tribes, nuka cola, postcards, pip boy, and so forth.
3. Character stats affect game play. Most crpgs, character stats just affect how hard a puzzle or combat is. In Fallout 1 & 2, they really changed how the game is played.
4. Perks. These are at the heart of customizing your character in the fallout universe.
5. Morbid humor. Things are bleak but if you don’t make them at least somewhat twisted, it ruins the enjoyment of the game. Fallout is not survival horror.
6. The music. Should be 1950s and creepy sci fi. No hip hop or rock.
7. Vague history and world status. We really don’t know what happen and what the status of the rest of the world is and this game shouldn’t change that.
8. Over the top violence. (hellloooo M rating)
9. Harold. – Nuff said

Oblivions + Guns + what is listed above would be perfect to me."

http://www.pcgamerpodcast.com/?p=111#comments

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Everybody knows that no matter what Fallout 3 will be Oblivion with guns since Bethesda is making it.

That person is just their TARGET AUDIENCE.

Lumpy

Arcane
Uhh... that's not that bad. He's just saying that Fallout's combat was boring, which is a perfectly legitimate opinion.
In my opinion, all combat is boring, but turn-based requires less effort. Hurray for turn-based.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He has good points actually, and he is too much for RPG-features to be a fanboy.
And combat in Fallout WAS boring, indeed. I don't really care about combat, though, I want story, interaction, athmosphere and dialogue. Good dialogue.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
The Elder Scrolls games are well-known for their awesome story line... There are plenty of plot twists and such to keep you coming for more.... The realm of Oblivion is where all the sinners are sent to be punished.

What the heck is supposed to be awesome about that?
Did that guy EVER read a book? Maybe... the bible? Some random fantasy novel? Anything?

And where did he come up with the plot twists? I didn't find any in my last through-play of Oblivion. None.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
You need to role-play that there are plot twists. It's next-gen!

I might have missed something there, but as I tried to roleplay an evil assassin I couldn't kill some NPCs because they were quest essential... oh, no, wait, I think I got it... I have to pretend that I killed them!
Now that is role-playing!

The realm of Oblivion is where all the sinners are sent to be punished.

Now THAT is a good idea. We should strap a VR helmet on prisoners and force them to spend the rest of their days wandering the realm of Oblivion.

The Idiot

Novice
Stumbled on some Codex lub on teh internets, linky.

Mountain Man said:
RPGCodex is nothing but a bunch of elitist, pessimistic wankers. I occasionally visit the site but only because their childish tirades make me laugh.

Jesus Higher game, if you take RPG codex as the ultimate truth you'll never enjoy another RPG. They are just whining elitists who don't even know what they want anymore. Anything post 1998 isn't worth their time, even if the second coming of another great Fallout or Planescape did occur.

Warms my heart.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
JarlFrank said:
Admiral jimbob said:
You need to role-play that there are plot twists. It's next-gen!

I might have missed something there, but as I tried to roleplay an evil assassin I couldn't kill some NPCs because they were quest essential... oh, no, wait, I think I got it... I have to pretend that I killed them!
Now that is role-playing!

I heard that next-next-gen rpgs will just have a blank screen so you can roleplay everything!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Idiot said:
Jesus Higher game, if you take RPG codex as the ultimate truth you'll never enjoy another RPG. They are just whining elitists who don't even know what they want anymore. Anything post 1998 isn't worth their time, even if the second coming of another great Fallout or Planescape did occur.

He's right. Because nowadays games like Oblivion are seen as the second coming of games like Fallout or Planescape. Bethesda is developing Fallout 3 and fanboys get excited, what more proof do you need?
While games as Arcanum are overlooked by such people as the poster, just because they have sucky graphics. And Bloodlines was overlooked too, mainly because of bugs.
But heck, I'd prefer a very buggy RPG which is at least fun to play over the most stable Oblivionesque-RPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Quote of the day:
Sorry but you genre naysayers just make me piss my pants. Especially when you quote sites like RPG codex, who can't see past their own keyboards.

EDIT:
Heck, even better, by the same guy:
If you want my true unadulterated opinion its that Baldur's is heavily over-rated. I prefer Fallout, Planescape and Ultima quite frankly. Say that on RPG codex and they would probably blow a casket. How dare I snub an AD&D masterpiece eh?

Did he even read here?

The Idiot

Novice
JarlFrank said:
The Idiot said:

He's right. Because nowadays games like Oblivion are seen as the second coming of games like Fallout or Planescape. Bethesda is developing Fallout 3 and fanboys get excited, what more proof do you need?
Though he argues that we'd diss any game, even one of Fallout or PST caliber. Can you honestly imagine that?

Heck, even better, by the same guy:
Quote:
If you want my true unadulterated opinion its that Baldur's is heavily over-rated. I prefer Fallout, Planescape and Ultima quite frankly. Say that on RPG codex and they would probably blow a casket. How dare I snub an AD&D masterpiece eh?

Did he even read here?

Spewing shit some twatt passed along to you never gets old. Duh

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Idiot said:
Though he argues that we'd diss any game, even one of Fallout or PST caliber. Can you honestly imagine that?

No.
But I believe that he will say we would diss, let's say, Arcanum 2, if we say "well, the character development could have been a BIT better, but else this game was AWESOME!"

Then he would claim we dissed the character development because the graphics are too modern.

Logical, isn't it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"many posts trolls(except Volourn"

I don't troll, moron. Posting unpopular opinion does not equal trolling. idiot. Your post, hwoever, is a fine exmaple of trolling though. Good job.

I have torlled only during two forays in my internet 'career'.

When I got Dumbfucked (I love it!), and when Mr. Sawyer aka Overseer was forced to ban me multiple times.

R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Stargazey said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=624951&view=findpost&p=9106897

I Lol'ed.

I like this Nottheking guy.
He could be from the codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom