Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

You have. It's not about tactics, it's about team communication and coordination. Football doesn't have much tactical depth either, it's all about the execution.

So you admit that Dota has no prerequisite skills, only the ability to herd 4 other retards over the internet into a semi-coordinated state?

Alright, I see we agree.

Football has plenty of tactical depth. Football requires (physical) skills. Football also requires teamwork. Whatever teamwork you may think Dota requires (hint: no more than any other team FPS/RTS/RPG), it doesn't make up for lacking entirely in the other two areas.

It's actually kind of funny, because, like you say, Dota is basically about teamwork and understanding the way all the elements (champions, builds, map features) interact at any given point in time to make the best decision; thing is, you can level a very similar criticism against SC2, where being able to scout and immediately intuit what the opponent is doing exactly is the most important skill, given the game's dumbed down macro and barely existent micro.

I can level similar complaints against SC2. But I still rest my case that a good SC2 player or WC3 player (note: I'm ignoring SC players because no self-respecting one would play Dota) can start playing Dota and be the master-league equivalent within a week or two. A "good" Dota player would probably flail helplessly in silver or gold league in SC2 for a long time. That's what I mean when I say Dota is just a stripped down RTS. If RTS skills translate over so easily that you merely need to learn a few basic strategies, the general flow of the game, and memorize new skills, it's still an RTS. A dumbed down one.

I don't think Dota is particularly difficult, but I do think singling it out is a bit unfair. Kind of a pity that one of the few truly competitive and difficult games (Quake Live) has so little traction in the ESPORTS world.
ESPORTS is now BABBESPORTS. If board games were popular in the time of the internet we would see competitive Checkers matches. Consoles of course would host Tic-Tac-Toe deathmatches and be 10x more popular still. The only genre to have mostly escaped the decline seems to be the fighting games.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Esports is serious business.

With emphasis on business.
pWERBP.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, CoD is an esport, that's only slightly less complicated than checkers.

I almost got pulled into that debate until I saw that blatant trolling post. Both are shit games dominated by asian robots, move the fuck on

Asians dominate Dota as well? Guess they truly are perfect, immortal machines. I think they win at fighting games as well.

Angthoron

Arcane
Esports are full of ejocks, which kinda explains the massive amounts of eretardation in the egaming scene.

Jashiin

Arcane
Moronic Desperate virgin fuck probably actually thinks this might give him a chance at a pity fuck down the line, for white knighting like a mentally retarded Don Quichot in heat.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

An innovative and brilliant young mind like no other.:salute:

He's a complete idiot, of course, but it would be funny if EA actually did include female footballers in the game and put some arbitrary physical stat limitations on them. Also IIRC female athelets cannot comepete in male leagues, so say good bye to your self insert playing for Bayern.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hey knock off the bed sheets, I use pretty colourful ones myself. They are my bed sheets after all, no one who isn't me or sleeping in my bad is gonna see them.

I'm more curious about why he has his PC in his bedroom.

Lorica

Educated
Also IIRC female athelets cannot comepete in male leagues, so say good bye to your self insert playing for Bayern.

But this. Not that anybody who starts a video with a "coming up with a topic is teh hard so, I dunno, lol this" is winning many points with me.

Kitako

Arcane
You can have the PC in places different than you bedroom? Amazing.

Also, I don't have a living room

Angthoron

Arcane
A better question is why are the gay characters in FIFA '14 not treated preferentially at all.

That youtuber is a fucking homophobe.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also IIRC female athelets cannot comepete in male leagues, so say good bye to your self insert playing for Bayern.

But this. Not that anybody who starts a video with a "coming up with a topic is teh hard so, I dunno, lol this" is winning many points with me.
This what? I didn't say anything about the possibility of EA putting in female leagues, I just said that not one of the player created female characters would be able to compete in the male leagues, which means no Champions League, no nothing. Second class citizen status.

circ

Arcane
I'm more curious about why he has his PC in his bedroom.
What's so weird about that? I share a very small apartment with my brother, so each of us keep our PCs in our rooms so the "common area" of the living room is always free.

I hate how I have no bedroom anymore, so my comp is in the living room. Since my cousin's baby was born, it is really hard to go for a late-night wank because it seems like there's always somebody awakened. The fact that some time ago my cousin moved my computer WITHOUT my authorization while re-arranging the living room for no reason just made it worse. Now the living room is so full of her trash I can't move my computer back anymore.
Dude! Bang your cousin! All problems solved!

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2

An innovative and brilliant young mind like no other.:salute:

He's a complete idiot, of course, but it would be funny if EA actually did include female footballers in the game and put some arbitrary physical stat limitations on them. Also IIRC female athelets cannot comepete in male leagues, so say good bye to your self insert playing for Bayern.

Never turned the video on and thought it was a woman. :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom