Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Cassidy

Arcane
Also SS2 has pretty good tutorial explaining all the things he's supposedly confused about, which allowed me many years ago to play the game without manual and with a limited grasp on the English language.

Speaking potato as native language and having a brain is no problem to play System Shock 2 without much difficulty.

However, speaking English as native language and having a potato for brain is.

:patriot: :kwanzania:

Again, the whole thing about SS2 is that individual encounters generally AREN'T tough. You meet a hybrid, you bash the fucker in the head with a wrench, he goes down quickly. You just have to be careful, not trigger any alarms and not let yourself get worn down.

So LOL at the people comparing it with Dark Souls.

It's similar to Dark Souls in that the game itself is really not that difficult and very easy to understand, but idiots refuse to even try to play it well or understand it, preferring to bash their head against a brick wall in the hopes that the 101th smack will be the one to take it out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MuffworldDeliciousDoug2ndDraft.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
How the fuck do you get into SS2 without learning what each class does? There are those three booths before that point, each covering one of specializations AND NAMING THEM.

Though at least he is appreciative of SS2. That's more than you can expect of usual
:kingcomrade:.

BTW: One thing I loved in SS2 is that while it didn't have much in the way of individually scary moments, it just worn you down mentally, slowly, but inevitably.
That's how you make truly scary stuff.

Although I hated having to invest cyber modules just to be able to fire basic weapons.

Mraston

Learned
I'm surprised John Walker didn't bring up System Shocks 2 misogynist leanings. I mean, SHODAN is a female but an AI, the developers must think females all have computer brains and aren't real people #onereasonwhy.

Sodafish

Arcane
How the fuck do you get into SS2 without learning what each class does? There are those three booths before that point, each covering one of specializations AND NAMING THEM.

But the game doesn't force you to go into any of them. Modern game "journalist" reaction: OMG ITZ SO CONFUSING!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Goatfuck. One of the fun parts of SS2 is how easy to get into it is. If you played an FPS it simply familiar and it has some little stuff added on top of it and before you know it oh lawd itz heavan!

I'm surprised John Walker didn't bring up System Shocks 2 misogynist leanings. I mean, SHODAN is a female but an AI, the developers must think females all have computer brains and aren't real people #onereasonwhy.

SHODAN imitates Polito too, showing that women are a lesser life form than computers. SHODAN was of course created by men, putting men in the position of dominance over the female-construct and taking the only power women have (able to create new life) away from women and giving it to men. XERXES is the leader of a strong, living organic society of creatures that emphasize strength, unity, and coordination. SHODAN is a weak and pathetic life form that can only fight by subverting and duping males into doing her work. Even when men do help her SHODAN eventually turns on them. XERXES and The Many on the other hand, being the male-dominated society are shown to value and protect each other.

That sad thing is that I think if I continued writing bullshit for another 45 mins and submitted it to a university I'm pretty sure I could get an honorary degree in feminism.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Just be glad he didn't call SHODAN a GLaDOS rip-off.

I have heard someone say that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So John Walker, illustrious helmsman of the RPS boat, was shocked to find that SS2 made him feel fear, helplessness and despair, thus emotionally engaging him on a level few games do, and did this solely through gameplay mechanics, not cutscenes or scripted events. And he's not sure he likes it, because games are supposed to be fun, man. Meanwhile, The Walking Dead is the future of gaming and Bioshock Infinite is a great work of art.

Excuse me while I puke. This is the reason we use the word "hipster" as an insult.
I'm with you 100%.

In many cases the very limitations of a medium will stimulate creativity.

This is such a basic concept. I can't believe reviewers don't understand this when we have chiptune music, pixel art, old Amiga games, ancient games like Go, people writting sonnets, and so on, and so on. You need limits to... push the limits.

This is truly shameful. But it's video game journalism for you. There's only two or three websites you can count on when it comes to video games and none of them are popular.

When I played System Shock 2 when I was, like, what, 16? 18? I was so happy about all the options and things to learn, and about being scared and frightened... I played on the hardest difficulty! I'll never forget the fun I had playing this game and listening to the hum of the engines, always worried something would creep up behind me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And about Bioshock: Infinite... it bothers me when people call a game good when it's nothing but a fairly mediocre FPS with questionable mechanics that you can't die in and where the different weapons - probably the core of an FPS - are mostly variations of one another. Grumble grumble!

lightbane

Arcane

SHODAN imitates Polito too, showing that women are a lesser life form than computers. SHODAN was of course created by men, putting men in the position of dominance over the female-construct and taking the only power women have (able to create new life) away from women and giving it to men. XERXES is the leader of a strong, living organic society of creatures that emphasize strength, unity, and coordination. SHODAN is a weak and pathetic life form that can only fight by subverting and duping males into doing her work. Even when men do help her SHODAN eventually turns on them. XERXES and The Many on the other hand, being the male-dominated society are shown to value and protect each other.

That sad thing is that I think if I continued writing bullshit for another 45 mins and submitted it to a university I'm pretty sure I could get an honorary degree in feminism.

Don't forget that the Many also has horrible mysoginistic tendencies, the Midwives are clearly women turned to slave-monsters by the Patriarchy to take care of their children with no choice in the matter. Also, there's something that could be said about the majority of normal female beings you find in the game end up dead or worse (ignore the fact it is the same case with the male ones). :M

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Someone should e-mail John Walker and point all of these transgressions out to him, so that hey may update his piece with more focus on social justice.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Someone should e-mail John Walker and point all of these transgressions out to him, so that hey may update his piece with more focus on social justice.

The 'Ignore' command is his greatest friend.

Either that or the 'Block' command, as both are vital to sheltering his brain from the cold, harsh truth that will make his brain implode and his soul cry out in terror.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom