Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Rat Keeng said:
If you'd made that post in any other forum, I would have thought it a joke, but I'm predisposed to take even the dumbest things seriously when they come out of TES forums, so yeah, got me fooled you did.

Anyway, http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197554. If nothing else, it's an awesome poll result.

Holy shit. Worst. Poll. Result. Ever. Worse than the time Helen Keller got voted captain of the dodgeball team.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I dont get why people bitch about CD switching anymore, I havent played a game that required you to change CDs while playing it in quite awhile.

You just need multiple CDs for installing and then just use the play disk, sheesh.

DVDs are annoying because they are harder for me to manage, my player is pretty shitty too.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
whitemithrandir said:
Rat Keeng said:
If you'd made that post in any other forum, I would have thought it a joke, but I'm predisposed to take even the dumbest things seriously when they come out of TES forums, so yeah, got me fooled you did.

Anyway, http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197554. If nothing else, it's an awesome poll result.

Holy shit. Worst. Poll. Result. Ever. Worse than the time Helen Keller got voted captain of the dodgeball team.

No kidding. Ouch!

Lumpy

Arcane
whitemithrandir said:
So, in the end, I've condensed these 20 skills into four core skills, which are much more elegant and easy to understand, and won't get in the way of Oblivion's core gameplay. They are:

Hacking & Slashing
Staying Alive
Zapping
Looting

There. That's a list I can live with. It is more modern than the 20 skill system and I believe will appeal to a much wider modern audience who appreciates elegance of complexity, wouldn't you agree?

Haha.
If you can't see that that was a joke, you're an idiot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
When I have time, I'll post some real TES forums posts comparing to which what whitemithrandir wrote looks like work of a genius.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Wow, 4 posts in a row. I wonder what he would think of asking next?

Relien

Scholar

Twinfalls

Erudite
Hardcode are you shooting the messenger?

That result.... nearly 3 to 1 must be teh all-round suPARman

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedam

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Hardcode are you shooting the messenger?

That result.... nearly 3 to 1 must be teh all-round suPARman

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedam
What's the problem with maximizing Minor skills? I never did that, but it's realistic, it doesn't hurt gameplay in any way, so why not?

Twinfalls

Erudite
You're right Lumpy - as one of the replies on that thread states:

But then again, it is fun to supe-up your character (once the main story is completed) so you can have more fun, and maybe make everyon your slave!

So, I think the pros outweigh the cons and you should be able to max out whatever you like.

Are you going to make everyone your slave, Lumpy? Can I be one of your slaves too? Pleasepleasepleaseplease

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:

But then again, it is fun to supe-up your character (once the main story is completed) so you can have more fun, and maybe make everyon your slave!

So, I think the pros outweigh the cons and you should be able to max out whatever you like.

Are you going to make everyone your slave, Lumpy? Can I be one of your slaves too? Pleasepleasepleaseplease
Just because making all skills maximizable allows powergaming doesn't mean it should be forbidden. If my Battlemage decides after starting the game that Conjuration is the roxorz, why shouldn't he be able to maximize it?
They could do it another way. You can only rise 7 skills over 80, and after that, all skills are capped at 80. It doesn't matter whether those skills are your starting skills or not.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Right. I am now your slave. I shall follow you everywhare, Master. Shall I fetch your heroin now Master Lumpy? Just DONT WHIP ME any more today please oh please pleas ohhuhuhuhuhuhhhhuhhglglglgaaa

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Lumpy said:
Twinfalls said:

Just because making all skills maximizable allows powergaming doesn't mean it should be forbidden. If my Battlemage decides after starting the game that Conjuration is the roxorz, why shouldn't he be able to maximize it?
They could do it another way. You can only rise 7 skills over 80, and after that, all skills are capped at 80. It doesn't matter whether those skills are your starting skills or not.

Why not indeed lumpy? Why not? Why have choices at all? Why should joining one guild restrict you from joining another? Why should they not facilitate a system of chardev that includes meaningful choices?

We're on the same page buddy. Choices are stupid. So is thinking. As long as a game has like totally radical graphics and awesome twitch action combat, and doesn't have aby stupid choices that could impact gameply and stop you from doing something you might want to do who gives a fuck?

You are a fucking genius. Bethesda or Bioware should give you a job. You would make awesome games as ypou really have your finger on the pusle of what today's "crpg" fans value.

Lumpy

Arcane
Roqua said:
Lumpy said:
Twinfalls said:

Why not indeed lumpy? Why not? Why have choices at all? Why should joining one guild restrict you from joining another? Why should they not facilitate a system of chardev that includes meaningful choices?

We're on the same page buddy. Choices are stupid. So is thinking. As long as a game has like totally radical graphics and awesome twitch action combat, and doesn't have aby stupid choices that could impact gameply and stop you from doing something you might want to do who gives a fuck?

You are a fucking genius. Bethesda or Bioware should give you a job. You would make awesome games as ypou really have your finger on the pusle of what today's "crpg" fans value.
Roqua? A moment of logic? Even pseudo-sarcasm? Is everything all right?
Of course I want joining some factions to prevent you from joining others. Of course I want choices. But, what does that have to do with putting caps on all minor skills? The class you choose already is an important choice anyway, because it's harder to advance minor skills than to advance major ones.

Roqua

Prospernaut
What class? The preset classes are a joke. Custom is basically the only viable option. And making your primamry skills secondary skills is also a must (I dont know about in oblivion) because it means more levels and faster leveling. If you made your primary skills primary skills in morrowind you screwed yourself.

The other problem is meaningful chardev choices. There is none. Its alll meaningless. Therefor a huge part of what makes an rpg an rpg is wasted. If 2 players with wildly different builds in the begining play long enough they end up being the same at the end. You might think that is like awesome and stuff, and who would I be to say anything, seeing as you're a fucking genius and all, but I like chardev to be somewhat important and meaningful. Not superficial and "streamlined."

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
I understand the idea of freedom and doing whatever you want in TES games, but it's interesting that this whole max-out thing is one of the very few aspects of the game, where TES fans don't give two shits about realism, as long as they can be supreme rulers of the galaxy, and enslave mankind.

Anyway, I've always had a beef with the Elder Scrolls' broken skill system, like with the levelling up and stat crap, but worse yet, the downright silliness to make a system based on usage, and then not have it react to non-usage.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Rat Keeng said:
I understand the idea of freedom and doing whatever you want in TES games, but it's interesting that this whole max-out thing is one of the very few aspects of the game, where TES fans don't give two shits about realism, as long as they can be supreme rulers of the galaxy, and enslave mankind.

Anyway, I've always had a beef with the Elder Scrolls' broken skill system, like with the levelling up and stat crap, but worse yet, the downright silliness to make a system based on usage, and then not have it react to non-usage.

What do you mean, atrophy?

Twinfalls

Erudite
can you imagine the little monsters' reaction to that?

TES FORUMS
New Post: OMG? WTF??

BETHSADA wat have you done? So I like got to head of Magges Guild after like heaps of practiss on altrashion and all the other magic skills an that, an then I found like my AXE skill was like lower! LIKE WTF? I was killing dadras with ONE blew with my AXE and like WTF now I cannt? The y totelly BROKE the game

Where's Chefe when you need the fucker to mock up some TES board goodness....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom