Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It does provide a certain catharsis. The excessive ranting against Oblivion is merely par for the course after the excessive bullshit hype campaign.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... &p=5649263

I just posted this at TES, and I thought it was witty enough to repost here. Enjoy.

Using very advance technology, I have stolen this press release from the future. With out further ado, the future of TES!

Streamlined Inventory- Tired of having to equipe seperate pieces of armor? Now all armor comes in single full body sets. Furthermore, new "3-hand" innovation lets you equip a torch, shield, and claymore simultaneously. Also, new Manly Text inventory screen reduces clutter by displaying three items.

HDR AI- Now everyone behaves according to a hyper realistic schedule of super goals. The AI is so intelligent, it will take into account the difficulty finding NPCs to the PC, and all NPCs will stay in one single location. No more aimless wondering to find that mobile nuissance!

New and Improved Skill Trees- After polling the fans, it was discovered some skills were not used as often as others. To ensure the best possible play experience, only the most popular skills are still in, but with a much greater attention to detail. Have fun with Weapons, Magick, sneak, and two other skills.

Unique Urban Locations- We are excited to announce that for the first time in TES History, the gameworld will be entirely confined to cities. However, traveling to the different cities is just a few keystrokes away. Each city has an extensive catacomb and sewer system giving the player 10 totally unique, handcrafted dungeons all together!

Edit: fixed quotation

Thrawn05

Scholar
I'm surprised that the ESFers let you off lightly there GA. But then again, they just love to talk about what the next province would be. :D

Greatatlantic said:
Anyways, if you want a suggestion about what should be in the next next-gen TES game, I'd say Black Marsh. It strikes me as a region that would force the developers to be creative since they couldn't rely on standard fantasy archetypes (i.e. make them be original).

I think that's what got me reevaluating MW last weekend. OB seemed so fucking bland and uninteresting.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whoa, I'm not the only one firing up MW lately to check if it actually wasn't a bit more interesting than I remembered...

Lumpy

Arcane
Greatatlantic said:
If nothing else, I liked the setting of Morrowind. Like it or hate it, you cannot deny it was something very different (besides the rats).
Yes, you can. Kingcomrade does.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Greatatlantic said:
If nothing else, I liked the setting of Morrowind. Like it or hate it, you cannot deny it was something very different (besides the rats).

Different? I hated Morrowinds' setting. It was a bunch of different themed elements all blended into one big grey plop of a setting. It had no style or feel to it, just a bunch of disjointed elements all swirled together with no common theme between them.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Thrawn05 said:
I'm surprised that the ESFers let you off lightly there GA. But then again, they just love to talk about what the next province would be. :D

Greatatlantic said:
Anyways, if you want a suggestion about what should be in the next next-gen TES game, I'd say Black Marsh. It strikes me as a region that would force the developers to be creative since they couldn't rely on standard fantasy archetypes (i.e. make them be original).

I think that's what got me reevaluating MW last weekend. OB seemed so fucking bland and uninteresting.

Pro-Tip: Because of that, the Black Marsh will never be featured as an Elder Scrolls game. The most it'll get it is some cellphone shit if anything.

The next one will probably be the High Elves area because it's all beauty shit (READ: GRAFFIX WOHAOMG) and generic fantasy elves and magic.

Lumpy

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I wrote Morrowind, I meant Oblivion. You guys got me mixed up. I don't know how well the resemble each other.
Ah-ha. So basically, we were arguing about completly different things. Right...
From what it looks like, yes, it seems Cyrodiil is a typical fantasy kingdom.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They have roman as the rulers of an empire.
Japanese-inspired Blades as Emperor's personal bodyguards.
African warriors archetypes.
Viking nords. Hmmm anything else I'm missing?

It's just odd how they just manage to fit it all in together. It was really inconsequential in DF since the world seemed generic in the first place. But when they placed those in Morrowind (with the ugly models) where majority is gray skinned and the world seemed so bleak and disjointed.

-__- they eat giant bug eggs...and export them. they have this big ass dinos running around the land. and bird flu seems to be on the rage with cliff races poking every living thing passing under them spreading blight diseases. So what is a 'GOOD' day in Morrowind like?

LlamaGod

Cipher
The different building and armor styles were all so disjointed too. Instead of being unique, it's just a bland throw-together where nothing seems to fit together.

Steel armor looked like medieval armor, then Ebony armor looked all Greek and then Daedra is all scarrey demonzz and then theres Japanese swords.

It's just shitty.

Lumpy

Arcane
LlamaGod said:
The different building and armor styles were all so disjointed too. Instead of being unique, it's just a bland throw-together where nothing seems to fit together.

Steel armor looked like medieval armor, then Ebony armor looked all Greek and then Daedra is all scarrey demonzz and then theres Japanese swords.

It's just shitty.
That's because they come from different places in the world. Imperial steel armor comes from Cyrodiil, Ebony is made in Morrowind, Daedric is made by the daedra and Japanese swords are made by Akavirians.

Thrawn05

Scholar
RK47 said:

Yeah, but in OB you only get one example of each, making each out of place. In MW (omg, I'm defending MW, this is how bad OB sucks) at least had two or three towns/cities that shared the same style.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Lumpy said:
LlamaGod said:

It's just shitty.
That's because they come from different places in the world. Imperial steel armor comes from Cyrodiil, Ebony is made in Morrowind, Daedric is made by the daedra and Japanese swords are made by Akavirians.

psst... those are the bullshit excuses they give for those things being there. the truth is 'omg japanese sword kewl' and the whole game feels like some 7th graders 'MY COOL WIZARD WORLD' design he made in his notebook during math class.

Lumpy

Arcane
Thrawn05 said:
RK47 said:

Yeah, but in OB you only get one example of each, making each out of place. In MW (omg, I'm defending MW, this is how bad OB sucks) at least had two or three towns/cities that shared the same style.
That's because the world is an abstractization of Cyrodiil. The province has more than 9 cities, of course.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Thrawn05 said:
RK47 said:

That's because the world is an abstractization of Cyrodiil. The province has more than 9 cities, of course.

That's bull. Ever heard of Canon? The stuff that fanboi's eat up? If it 'ant in the game, it don't count.

vej-manden

Novice
Greatatlantic said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=372496&view=findpost&p=5649263

I just posted this at TES, and I thought it was witty enough to repost here. Enjoy.

Using very advance technology, I have stolen this press release from the future. With out further ado, the future of TES!

Streamlined Inventory- Tired of having to equipe seperate pieces of armor? Now all armor comes in single full body sets. Furthermore, new "3-hand" innovation lets you equip a torch, shield, and claymore simultaneously. Also, new Manly Text inventory screen reduces clutter by displaying three items.

HDR AI- Now everyone behaves according to a hyper realistic schedule of super goals. The AI is so intelligent, it will take into account the difficulty finding NPCs to the PC, and all NPCs will stay in one single location. No more aimless wondering to find that mobile nuissance!

New and Improved Skill Trees- After polling the fans, it was discovered some skills were not used as often as others. To ensure the best possible play experience, only the most popular skills are still in, but with a much greater attention to detail. Have fun with Weapons, Magick, sneak, and two other skills.

Unique Urban Locations- We are excited to announce that for the first time in TES History, the gameworld will be entirely confined to cities. However, traveling to the different cities is just a few keystrokes away. Each city has an extensive catacomb and sewer system giving the player 10 totally unique, handcrafted dungeons all together!

Edit: fixed quotation

You forgot about headshots, multiplayer and realistic water evaporation (impotant for teh immerssion).

RK47

Patron
GhanBuriGhan said:
Just to show that there is hope in the TES forums:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=376647

It's really a good read, and it may make you feel less lonely in your quest for choice and consequence.

Totally Agreed with that criticism.
They could've done really well if they spent a few months tweaking the faction quests or something (a faction destroying decision would've done it but nope, u can only seem to do morally right stuff with the morally right guilds).

Rumour-Fodders are just annoying to see, but I can't see Bethesda messing with what they have now when doing 'this' is already selling 1.4 mil copies. :roll:

Oblivion mods is gonna keep the game alive for some time though. And I'm sure a lot of ppl would buy TES 5, BUT with lower expectation on their AI and Dialogues.

Kendar

Novice
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... &p=5726925
Some Bethesda PR dude hiding behind a fake username said:
Furthermore, I have to take issue with the people that complain about the combat being too "arcady." I think that as technology gets more complex, there is less reason to relagate the duties of combat (and other things as well) to exclusively a skill number. The reason for having that skill number in RPGs past was because the technology was not present to allow the player to actually swing their sword. Now that technology is available, so why not use it?
I knew there was something I was too dumb to notice. Now I remember what it is : turn/skill-based stuff's reason to exist is only technical limitations. Well, at least he said "exclusively".

RK47

Patron
....The next time they're making next gen game, I demand chopstick simulation to eat my crab meat. Because double clicking is apparently a technical limitation by Bethesda. HOW COULD THEY OMFG! FUBAR!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom