Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best thread ever.

Data4

Arcane
Excalibur said:
lets make this topic a 100 pager.. jesus :roll:

"God damn you all and your mind control rays! Quit making me click and suffer through this thread! Fuckers!"

-D4

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be fair, the sticky topic in that forum does include the following:-
2. What can I get warned for?

There is a pretty extensive list above on the forum rules as well as on the Terms and Conditions. The short list is flaming, trolling, spamming, bypassing the auto censor, posting links to illegal (copyrighted, pirated, etc.) material, talking about illegal activities, and generally anything we deem inappropriate for these forums.
Although I can't be sure, it seemed to me as if the thread was merely locked without the OP's warning level being raised.

Data4

Arcane
Yes, but theater hopping is about the same legal magnitude as going 3 MPH over the posted speed limit. Since that is, by definition, illegal, I suppose if someone happened to be regaling the forum with a story that included mentioning going 3 MPH over the speed limit, it's enough to get a thread locked?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's one thing to lock a thread that talks about drug dealing or piracy. It's not unreasonable to insist those topics be avoided, because there is a company image to consider. Somehow I doubt that a user talking about theater hopping is going to tarnish Bethesda's steller and lofty image in the industry.

I blame the moderators completely. It's a power trip at the most, and seriously bad judgement at the very least. In a way, I feel sorry for Bethesda because it's the draconian, double-standard way in which the moderators operate, coupled with the fact that the average user there has the IQ of a potato that makes the place bad enough for a thread here to get to at least 31 pages full of mockery. Which, of course, is great, because God have mercy on your soul if you point out their ridiculousness over there.

-D4

OverrideB1

Scholar
Data4 said:
Nothing to do with Oblivion, or RPGs at all, but everything to do with a moderator overstepping their bounds. I'll let it speak for itself.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=268435

-D4
Is cinema-hopping even illegal? I'm not certain about the US, but I'm pretty sure it's not here in the UK. The BBFC or MPAA give rating to films that are only suggestions of the age you should be - don't they?

Section8

Cipher
The point I'm trying to make is that it's one thing to lock a thread that talks about drug dealing or piracy.

So, care to explain to me how sneaking in to see a movie without paying is any different to seeing a movie you've downloaded, again without paying? I just don't see how it's somehow a lesser crime than piracy.

Besides, he posted something that's clearly against the forum rules, draconian or not. There's no double standard in this case, it's black and white.

Data4

Arcane
Section8 said:
The point I'm trying to make is that it's one thing to lock a thread that talks about drug dealing or piracy.

So, care to explain to me how sneaking in to see a movie without paying is any different to seeing a movie you've downloaded, again without paying? I just don't see how it's somehow a lesser crime than piracy.

Besides, he posted something that's clearly against the forum rules, draconian or not. There's no double standard in this case, it's black and white.

Well... you got me. I don't know, I just think it was a goofy reason to stop a conversation cold. I bet the thread would have evolved into people just talking about V for Vendetta, and the whole sneaking issue would have been all but forgotten about. If I was a mod, I wouldn't have shut that thread down.

-D4

Section8

Cipher
Hah! Nice one, Mithrandir. Although, from my minimal pseudo-verbal, text-based interactions with your target audience, or demographic if you will, leads me to believe that perhaps your well-intentioned counsel might cut a swath through the clouds that loft far above their proverbial cranii.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
OMG GUYZSZ OBLILION IS CUMMING CLOSUR CAN U FEAL IT?!?! I JUST NO THAT WE R GOGING TO FEAL SO STUPID WEN WE LAERN HOW TOTALY AWSOME TEH GAEM IS!!!1

CODEXURS (HIVE MIND) WEN U PLAY OBLICION U HAVE 2 REMEBER 2 KEAP AN OPEN MIND K LOL?> U R NEVAR GOGING TO HAVE FUN IF U R RACIST (ONLY AGAINST OBLIBION). NOT ALL BLAKCS STEEL BIKES, BUT U NEVER WILL LERN THAT IF YOU DUNT GO OUT AND MEAT THEM!!!!

edited four speling

sheek

Arbiter
Blahblah Talks said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=274547

Cute little fan movie regarding the removal of mounted combat. Called Oblivion Gey, so it was labeled spam.

"This submission has been BLAMMED by our users"

What the fuck?

I wanted to see that...

Data4

Arcane
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=278132

Post #5 said:
They are non-RPG players expecting a friggen midevel GTA. They want all kinds of other crap that had nothing to do with elderscrolls.

If something doesn't blend perfectly into their game they complain about it.

If the entire game looked like the worst parts of oblivion then they wouldn't pick on it. But if they put out another GTA that popped and glitched but you could decapitate a hooker then WHOOO BOY that's a game.

Sorry it's an RPG.

Comedy fucking gold.

-D4

Data4

Arcane
You know what would be absolutely evil, and in no way encouraged by your's truly? Make a generic, disposable account over there, observe who the most obnoxious pricks are, and send PMs with the ending of the game. I'd NEVER do that, of course, but....

-D4

Lumpy

Arcane
TehUberModerator said:
I said:
Some Guy on the Gothic 3 forums said:
Hey, I've played Oblivion now! The last thing I had to do before deciding wether it's truly a shitgame or not.

And it is. A shitgame. No refinement whatsoever. The grass on the ground fades about 10m around the player. Buildings are just "put down" into flat terrain( - very unrealistic and.. amateurish?). Fights = Cliclicliclicliclik.. there WERE different attacks, but neither I or my friend (whom owns the game) used them for some reason.
Good points. You've convinced me that the game sucks. I mean, how can it be good when:
1. The grass looks ugly.
2. It has many combat moves but YOU used only one.
Please avoid personal insults. Debate is about the game. He posted his oppinion about the game. Respect it, regardles if u agree with it or not.

Those forums are really fucked up.

Data4

Arcane
Lumpy, you realize of course that you're defending the enemy in the eyes of the Gothic forum community, right? I'm sure it'd be the same way if you talked shit about Oblivion while fawning all over the Gothic 3 screenshots at the ESF. Don't expect to actually be able to win over anyone. :D

-D4

Lumpy

Arcane
But that's not all. In response to this work of genius, on the subject of "Why no orc women":
Some other guy said:
The reason is that in every game the orc women make you puke I havent seen a cool looking orc woman.In world of warcraft .In oblivion THE UGLIEST THINGS THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN
I posted
I said:
Boy, are people childish on this forum. You know what? Orcs are ugly. They shouldn't be in the game, because, this being a game for immature individuals, they can't be scared by in-game characters and have bad dreams at night.
And the same uber moderator came again:
TehUberAndFrighteningModerator said:
Hmmm. Second insult in a row. I guess u ve earned an official warning!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom