Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda opens Fallout 3 forums

Sentenza

Scholar
Chinese Jetpilot said:
Oblivion's combat is fast and furious, and rewards you for pausing out to inventory to use potions, scrolls, other equipment, other spells, etc strategically.

Would these MOTHERFUCKERS stop already with the "tactics" and "strategy" of Oblivion!
I always thought that pausing the game to epen the inventory and drink a fuckload of potions during fitghts was a lame exploit, but no good sirs, ITS TEH STRATEGIK

they ever complaints that you can't in Gothic and pointed that out as a game flaw... Why they don't DIE?

Shannow

Waster of Time
At least Bethesda can release a working game!
Can they? I had a c2d-bug right during character-creation in Morrowind. Had to wait 2-3 days for a patch before i could start playing the game.
And i was under the impression that Oblivion was quite buggy too, before it was patched. (Never played it myself.)

So if Bethesda "can" release a working game, why don't they "do" it?

Jed

Cipher
At least Bethesda can release a working game!
Who wrote that? Obviously someone who was still in diapers in '96. Daggerfall was fucking infamous for its bugs, including ones that left the game unable to be completed. Many bugs were even left untouched by the final patch. I haven't played Oblivion, but Morrowind certainly had it's share of bugs.

Anyway ... back to the really tough questions: Will there be accurately modeled radioactive decay?

stargelman

Scholar
I think concentrating on the bug issue is probably a bit silly, considering Oblivion is relatively stable, compared to Daggerfall or Arena, and especially comtemporaries such as Gothic 3.

Jed

Cipher
stargelman said:
I think concentrating on the bug issue is probably a bit silly, considering Oblivion is relatively stable, compared to Daggerfall or Arena, and especially comtemporaries such as Gothic 3.
I think it's relevant if people are saying, "At least Bethesda can making a working game!" since it took them 13 years and 8 games to do so.

stargelman

Scholar
Jed said:
stargelman said:
I think it's relevant if people are saying, "At least Bethesda can making a working game!" since it took them 13 years and 8 games to do so.
I think you have to look at it in relation to what kind of game it is. Sandbox games are notorious for their amounts of bugs, simply because it is impossible to forsee every side effect of everything in such a game. Sure Oblivion still has bugs, but compared to the amount of bugs in older games, it's rather ignorable. Now if someone said "bug-free" I'd be laughing. But working (more or less), yeah.

Jed

Cipher
I think there's a certain double-standard where companies like Bethesda and BioWare get a pass on bugs because they have the independence to issue however many patches needed, whereas Troika truly suffered from its reputation for releasing "buggy" games without a similar empowerment to issue fixes. In my experience, Morrowind and NWN had far more bugs on release than, say, Arcanum.

Lumpy

Arcane
The current fad on the FO forums is claiming that Cain&Co. sucked, because all of their games sold poorly. Thus, Bethesda are heroes for rescuing Fallout 3 from the hands of the original creators, who made crappy games.
Arcanum was horrible.

Incredibly unbalanced leaning towards the magic. And the bugs in that game, my god....

We won't even get in to the music and sound. Why does my flint lock sound the same as a shotgun? Or my spells all have the same level-up sounding ding.

I remember something vague about an interview when they were pushing Arcanum, and said that bug testing wasn't a top priority, that they could patch it later and fix as necessary.
Arcanum sucked because it was imbalanced and had bugs, even though it had great gameplay.
On the other hand, although it had bugs and was imbalanced, Morrowind rocked because it had great gameplay.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jed said:
I think there's a certain double-standard where companies like Bethesda and BioWare get a pass on bugs because they have the independence to issue however many patches needed, whereas Troika truly suffered from its reputation for releasing "buggy" games without a similar empowerment to issue fixes. In my experience, Morrowind and NWN had far more bugs on release than, say, Arcanum.
Especially self-publishing Bethesda is in a better position concerning releasing their games than Troika or PB. No publisher in your neck forcing you to release a game that you know is buggy.
So i also think it is a little unfair comparing those companies in an undifferentiated way.

The current fad on the FO forums is claiming that Cain&Co. sucked, because all of their games sold purely.
It took me at least five seconds to understand what word was meant there *g*

Section8

Cipher
FUCKING. JESUS.

Will you buy F3 even if you don't like it?

22% say yes. I've been debating whether to sign up over there and this pretty much made my decision. The only good to come from this would be:

Pete Hines: Fallout 3 is a razor blade. The way you play Fallout 3 is to slit your forearms from elbow to wrist. Pre-order now!

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I made a post which was immediately merged with some loosely related thread by some nitwit moderator.

Reading -and posting on- those boards is like covering your face with nectar and sticking it in a beehive. Anything sensible that gets said is immediately overshadowed by all the inane, infantile and illogical noise that drowns out the signal.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
stargelman said:
Gothic 3 was perfectly stable for me. Of course I installed the release patch before playing, but it was available on the release day after all. I assume the American version was already patched.

Morrowind patched to the newest version more than half a year after the release included a trivial dialogue bug that broke the MQ. As far as I could tell in the editor, the bug would occur for everyone, every time you got to that point.
I don't know how that is even possible.

Joe Krow

Erudite
I wonder why Bethesda would open a forum for the two original games? "Because they can," was one answer but I suspect something more sinister. Shortly, posting about the previous games/comparing them to FO3 will be considered off topic in the FO3 general forum (and garner warnings/bans/etc). I think they created the "previous games" forum to keep fans of the original games out of sight and validate the nazi moderators. Paranoid?

Seboss

Liturgist
I wonder how long the Fallout 3 boards will sustain such a high level of hatred, spite and stupidity.

The Fallout community going berserk against Bethesda was predictable but the place got on par with World of Warcraft in the "cesspools of retardation" chart in just two days. And I'm not just talking about the TES crowd. Fallout fans can be just as stupid.

I'm not defending Bethesda here, I'm just wondering if that's very wise of them to let so much shit piling up on their name in their very own forums.

stargelman

Scholar
Seboss said:
I wonder how long the Fallout 3 boards will sustain such a high level of hatred, spite and stupidity.

The Fallout community going berserk against Bethesda was predictable but the place got on par with World of Warcraft in the "cesspools of retardation" chart in just two days. And I'm not just talking about the TES crowd. Fallout fans can be just as stupid.

I'm not defending Bethesda here, I'm just wondering if that's very wise of them to let so much shit piling up on their name in their very own forums.
Are you kidding? It hasn't even started yet! Most of those people still have hope! Just you wait and see what happens once that's crushed.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Lumpy said:
The current fad on the FO forums is claiming that Cain&Co. sucked, because all of their games sold poorly. Thus, Bethesda are heroes for rescuing Fallout 3 from the hands of the original creators, who made crappy games.
Arcanum was horrible.

Incredibly unbalanced leaning towards the magic. And the bugs in that game, my god....

We won't even get in to the music and sound. Why does my flint lock sound the same as a shotgun? Or my spells all have the same level-up sounding ding.

I remember something vague about an interview when they were pushing Arcanum, and said that bug testing wasn't a top priority, that they could patch it later and fix as necessary.
Arcanum sucked because it was imbalanced and had bugs, even though it had great gameplay.
On the other hand, although it had bugs and was imbalanced, Morrowind rocked because it had great gameplay.

Oh, no, please. LET'S get into the music. Let's see what they have to say about it.

taxacaria

Scholar
Seboss said:
I'm just wondering if that's very wise of them to let so much shit piling up on their name in their very own forums.

I'm just wondering if that's very wise of them to try to develope Fallout 3.

And I enjoy polls like>>this<<on their own forum.

Seboss

Liturgist
taxacaria said:
And I enjoy polls like>>this<<on their own forum.
The humiliation. I don't care for Toddly and Pete and all the corporate bitches in Bethesda. But that must be tough for the greasemonkeys and designers who spend 60hrs a week getting the job done.
Have you ever seen a community so disillusioned so early in the production of a video game?

Wow, wait, are we talking about a video game? For a moment, I thought we were talking about the cure for cancer.

EDIT: OMG TESF are mainstreaming me!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Great post:

karlito31 said:
T R O I K A
intergalactic.gif

Deleted member 7219

Woetohice said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
You people should stop reading those forums or you will get brain AIDS.

That's why I'm starting to stop reading the forums here...it's like getting brain AIDS by proxy.

Quoted for emphasis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom