Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Releases Concept Art

Chefe

Erudite
Lowry said:
Considering the armor's origins i would say it fits just fine, or do you think it should look like normal plate only a different colour?

Less spikes. And if it's going to completely cover the whole body, it should be more organic, otherwise they should open up the sleeves like they did with the female version. The female version looks cool.

Lowry

Novice
Chefe said:
Lowry said:
Considering the armor's origins i would say it fits just fine, or do you think it should look like normal plate only a different colour?

Less spikes. And if it's going to completely cover the whole body, it should be more organic, otherwise they should open up the sleeves like they did with the female version. The female version looks cool.

It does look like the male version has a type of cloth or chain underlay which would allow for more freedom of movement, and, if removed, would leave the armor looking much like you suggest.

Doppelganger

Novice
ExMonk said:
Just received this email from the real Pete Hines. He was responding to my question as to whether he has been posting over at rpgcodex recently.

I may have created an account there at some point, but I haven't posted anything in the last few months, so I'd have to say imposter.

I'm Pete! And so's my wife!

I get the impression a number of posters have a pretty well informed opinion of me and aren't interested in what I have to say over there.

[Pete, to Codex crowd:] "You are all individuals!"
[Codex:] "YES YES WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"
[Pete:] "You are all different."
[Codex:] "YES WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT"
[Lone voice in the crowd:] "I'm not."
[Codexer next to him:] "CHOKE ON THIS! <tubgirl link>"

Chefe

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
For comparison, here's the in-game male Daedric Armor, and here's the concept.

The concept looks really stiff, IMO, too busy, and again has the "look at me, I'm evil!!1" appearance to it. But the in-game version looks like it is something that is actually wearable; also it seems unique and otherworldly (and not an otherworldy porcupine).

I had forgot about how it looked in-game. Thanks for the link.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Okay, for what it's worth:

Daedric Armour: Does have that air of spiky==evil about it, but it looks pretty good in-game. Nice to see that there are variants for male & female - although that female helm looks pretty sucky in the concept art.

Dark Brotherhood: Ninja!!11!!ONE! (This is something I've never understood. Surely a good assassin is the one that doesn't look like a freaking assassin!)

Mithril: The concept art makes it look very bulky, but it has the same coolness factor as the Nordic chainmail so that's alright.

As to the others, I'm not so sure about the Minotaur or the Dreugh. The Minotaur has too much of the whiff of Pan about it, it looks more goatish than bulliish. And that Dreugh looks straight out of any of the Alien films. And the less said about the Final Fantasy/Anime sword the better.

HardCode

Erudite
OverrideB1 said:
Dark Brotherhood: Ninja!!11!!ONE! (This is something I've never understood. Surely a good assassin is the one that doesn't look like a freaking assassin!)

Hmmm ... imagine an RPG game with a "Noticability" rating. Meaning, if you are wearing Daedric armor, the NPCs will notice you easily and act accordingly (scared, submissive, etc). If you are wearing Dark Brotherhood gear, they could act scared, leave the immediate area, call the guard. If you wear normal clothes, you go unnoticed. THAT would be damn fun in a game, having the NPCs react to your gear.

Could also affect your sneak, say, if you need to assassinate someone and not be noticed.

Zomg

Arbiter
HardCode said:
THAT would be damn fun in a game, having the NPCs react to your gear.

Fable had that, although the implementation wasn't particularly deep (two non-orthogonal dimensions, "attractiveness" and "scariness" determined by your attire, hair and tattoos).

Balor

Arcane
Well, yea, that was kinda fun, if a bit shallow when it came to actual reactions.
Again, I consider Fable a tech demo for some nice featurs... short and underdeveloped, with story slapped on just 'for sake of having it'.

Atrokkus

Erudite
THAT would be damn fun in a game, having the NPCs react to your gear.
As if it's something new.. Fallout2 had that - buit it had it the wrong way: lots of people noticed you wearing power armor, but they just cracked jokes about you, no fear, no respect, etc -- kinda weird.
There certainly should be a reaction modifier based on your gear, including weapons and armor. For instance, I was pretty pissed out when I walked into a bar (or somewhere) in FO2, and the morks there started bullying me even though I was in APA and had a huge vindicator ready to spin. But, probably, it's easier for bethesda to include such a feature. Fable had a good way of doing that, despite its other pretty primitive aspects.

Spazmo

Erudite
Arcanum had this to a certain extent as well--people were shocked if you walked up to them naked. And Fallout, of course, had most town guards asking you to holster weapons, which I always liked.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Arcanum had this to a certain extent as well--people were shocked if you walked up to them naked. And Fallout, of course, had most town guards asking you to holster weapons, which I always liked.
And Fable had it, somehow. Bwahahhahah!

The holster sword thing was wonderfully implemented in Gothic. Morrowind reacted to the overall value of your clothes/armor, but no specific comments on specific armor, etc.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Yes Gothic's was a great implementation. PUT that weapon DOWN - the voice acting of even just drone npcs was seriously menacing.

You'd expect that one of the first things a 'RADIANT' AI system would feature is awareness of whether your weapon is drawn, as well as of what you're wearing. Yet somehow I still expect to see more suicidal campers charging at you with their forks raised, while blithely ignoring your daedric exo-skeleton, in Obligon.

Twinfalls

Erudite
OverrideB1 said:

That's a very good point, though I suppose to take it to its logical conclusion, the DB outfit should resemble a fast-food promotion giant chicken outfit.

The DB outfits in Obilgion look like some combination of ninja and lunatic-asylum-chic ready to wear fashun statement.

Ryssa

Novice
Regarding the Daedrin armour - will the females have so little coverage compared to the males? I liked going about in Morrowind in a basically sex-less suit of armour and looking badass as a girl.

Ah, if only they'd release a good screen of a female wearing Daedric.

Section8

Cipher
Another shot showing the Daedric Armour close up. Visually, very busy, and "OMFGG FROM HELL!LL!!!!!" It has all the appeal of Doom 3. Especially with the "goat horn" motifs.

Surely there's some kind of compromise that can be reached between the completely overdone Oblivion Daedric Armour, and say Daedra Lords from Daggerfall.

daedlord.gif

But, I guess it comes down to artistic expression and taste. I just hope there's a heavy armour equivalent for those of us who don't want to dress up as the big bad spiky guy.

And I hadn't even noticed the Dreugh. Why do Dreugh have to change their appearance between each installment?

Chefe

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
That's a very good point, though I suppose to take it to its logical conclusion, the DB outfit should resemble a fast-food promotion giant chicken outfit.

darkbrotherhood3vl.jpg

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
OverrideB1 said:

The DB outfits in Obilgion look like some combination of ninja and lunatic-asylum-chic ready to wear fashun statement.
The Dark Brotherhood are not infiltrators. They sneak in, not pretend to be a servant to get close to the target. So I see nothing wrong with the armor.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Well, i found it a bit weird, that you, the guildmaster of the fighter's guild, goes to take a nap in the sleeping chambers, and a man in Dark Brotherhood armor somehow gets into the room, wakes you up, and tries to kill you, and noone even reacts to their guildmaster's cries of pain. But watch them come running to the lowly journeyman's defense, if you start poking him with a stick.

Twinfalls

Erudite
LOL Chefe!

Ryssa said:
Regarding the Daedrin armour - will the females have so little coverage compared to the males? I liked going about in Morrowind in a basically sex-less suit of armour and looking badass as a girl.

Ah, if only they'd release a good screen of a female wearing Daedric.

Well it seems your female Daedric-user can have a nightclub-ready outfit:

daedricchicky6bt.png

I expect (trust) a full suit can be obtained for a female character, cos being forced to go skimpy would be really daft.

Totally agree with section8, Daedric is overwrought for this game. Must be a bitch to wander through procedural forests, what with all those extrusions catching on branches and whatnot. The problem is that for a warrior character, Daedric is the ONLY option at a certain level, as it's always been the heavy armour with greater protection than everything else.... so your burly fighter will eventually have to put up with looking like a 'Hey everyone, I'm teh EVIL' dorkus.

VenomByte

Scholar
I suspect you won't have to, since it's fairly likely there will be a bundle of uber-armour spread throughout the game which is superior to daedric.

But then, if you want to enchant your own....

Twinfalls

Erudite
Ah, but you've got to be an advanced Mage to do enchanting. So what's an advanced Mage doing wearing uber heavy armour then, eh?

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Ah, but you've got to be an advanced Mage to do enchanting. So what's an advanced Mage doing wearing uber heavy armour then, eh?
Since when are mages not allowed to wear armor?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom