Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

plin

Liturgist
Dralah said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many idiots in one place before. Congradulations, you actually make Gamefaqs look civil. I wonder how many of these crybabies whining about "boo hoo, it's not going to be a carbon copy of the old Fallout games" realize that the old developers were cutting down the skill system and making it more "simplistic" long before Bethesda ever came into the picture (and after seeing this forum, it's obvious they did it for people like you). But hey, at least this game should be about as buggy as the old Fallouts with Bethesda working on it (though unfortunalty probably not to the same extent, I got a hell of a lot more random crashes and incompletable quests with the old Fallouts than I ever did with Morrowind). If you people represent the Fallout fanbase...wow...then I'm sorry I ever even played those games. Amazing, idiots on the internet can manage to ruin even single-player games for people.

I seriously hope they make the game the exact OPPOSITE of what you people want, simply because pissing you people would make me happy. Besides, maybe then we'll get a REAL update to the series, rather than "Fallout 1.25" as you people would rather have. If you want games to stay exactly the same and keep the same developer year after year, go play Megaman.

beware, many of the people here with no lives but have lots of time on their hands will disect your post and try to retort each sentance. BEWARE

Sol Invictus

Erudite
triCritical said:
mr. lamat said:
they might not go real-time or fps given the unsuccess of fobos.

ES is a brand with certain qualities. maybe they're looking to go in a new direction with this one.

Exactly what I was thinking. They licensed the Net-Immerse (sp?) engine and Freedom Force shows that you can make a game somewhat tactical with that engine. Elder Scrolls is Elder Scrolls and FO is FO, as long as they remember that, it might actually go OK.

I also like MW for what its worth, until hour 124, where I could not ever play it again.

*Someone* might be able to make *something* tactical with the engines they develop but the *someone* definitely isn't them, and they are practically incapable of producing *something* of that nature.

MrBrown

Liturgist
Looks like Bethesda is about to feel the wrath of the FO fans. Did someone make death threat phone calls yet?

I personally don't really detest the whole thing. I'd prefer turn-based combat and isometric view like the old ones, but I've always thought first-person is the only other mode where FO could also work. I think it could be adapted to work in it, it's just up to the intelligence of the Beth developers. I certainly wouldn't like a carbon-copy of the old game with a new story and I never liked SPECIAL either.

What the fuck. I go away for the night and when I come back insanity has fallen over the entire globe. This isn't funny, whoever made this up admit it now and you will be forgiven. I can't type i'm so pissed off. BETHESDA why don't they give it to ronald mc donald , what the fuck were they thinking. This is herves last laugh at us that ass munching bastard.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Expecting me or anyone else to be grateful for Bethesda's Morrowind-with-Guns is like throwing us a cardboard toilet paper tube with the word BOAN written on it with a sharpie and expecting us to be happy with it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Some idiot wrote:
Now, the fact is, this news is just that.... NEWS. I have known about this for some time now, and I have been excited about it since the deal was still in the making. I AM a fan of FO. Who better to have working on a game than a FAN.... someone who knows the game, knows what it's about, knows the mood, knows the setting and atmosphere.
The original developers, maybe?

Reklar

Liturgist
IGNPC said:
Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?

Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.

So much for the glamour of reincarnation, eh? After reading through 35 pages of Morrowind and Fallout fans slap each other around I'm beginning to think Herve is sitting back and laughing his head off. Bethesda may make good games of their own style, but with comments like the above in action they will never make a good Fallout 3 faithful to the original.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Has Tim Cain or Leonard Boyarski spoken out about this yet? Have they given their opinions, I know they will probably just say that bethesda is a good studio blah blah but they have to secretly be burning up inside. This must really hurt them, since fallout may be a game we love but its their baby.

MrBrown

Liturgist
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Has Tim Cain or Leonard Boyarski spoken out about this yet? Have they given their opinions, I know they will probably just say that bethesda is a good studio blah blah but they have to secretly be burning up inside. This must really hurt them, since fallout may be a game we love but its their baby.

I doubt they're gonna cry themselves to sleep over it. Every developer basically creates something that will in the end be owned by someone else, so they've probably prepared for it a long time ago.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hey, since when was Fallout a title for grognards? It was neither complex, compicated, nor difficult. I was 13 years old when I played Fallout and I was never into RPGs. I was an action gamer until Fallout came along - and now I'm into anything that sparks entertainment. Do you all know what I liked about Fallout the most? It wasn't the dialogue, or clever jokes, or the nice setting. It was good ol' blood and guts that came splattering out when you fired a shotgun at someone's belly. But that alone isn't enough to make a good game - which will explain why I didn't like Fallout Tactics.

When you take away all the brilliance that made Fallout ... Fallout, you essentially destroy it.

MrBrown said:
I doubt they're gonna cry themselves to sleep over it. Every developer basically creates something that will in the end be owned by someone else, so they've probably prepared for it a long time ago.

You may know your gonna die too but that doesn't mean your going to be prepared for it. I bet there is at least a pang of regret that they didn't get their hands on it. If herve had any fucking decency left in him he would have given them first refusal on the license. But who am I kidding...

MrBrown

Liturgist
StraitLacedDeviant said:
If herve had any fucking decency left in him he would have given them first refusal on the license. But who am I kidding...

The reason why it was announced this soon probably rests with Herve as well. Maybe he thinks it'll make IP's situation look better...

I don't know much about Bethesda's situation, but I don't think it's so bad that they'd need to announce a license this soon before any design decisions are made.

Of course, it does make the situation better for fans, since they can now complain all they can before it's too late.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
See, now I gave the guy a special avatar:
bethesda.gif

I'm going to pretend I didn't wake up this morning and this is some horrible nightmare and tomorrow i'll wake up and troika will have the license and everything will be just fine.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dralah said:
I seriously hope they make the game the exact OPPOSITE of what you people want, simply because pissing you people would make me happy. Besides, maybe then we'll get a REAL update to the series, rather than "Fallout 1.25" as you people would rather have.
Yeah, Chucky tried both of those with FO:BOS. It didn't work. He's the one who ended up unhappy and the REAL update to the series back-fired badly. I also personally don't think Morrowind Dialogue Vending Machinesâ„¢ are an improvement.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
plin said:
Dralah said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many idiots in one place before. Congradulations, you actually make Gamefaqs look civil. I wonder how many of these crybabies whining about "boo hoo, it's not going to be a carbon copy of the old Fallout games" realize that the old developers were cutting down the skill system and making it more "simplistic" long before Bethesda ever came into the picture (and after seeing this forum, it's obvious they did it for people like you). But hey, at least this game should be about as buggy as the old Fallouts with Bethesda working on it (though unfortunalty probably not to the same extent, I got a hell of a lot more random crashes and incompletable quests with the old Fallouts than I ever did with Morrowind). If you people represent the Fallout fanbase...wow...then I'm sorry I ever even played those games. Amazing, idiots on the internet can manage to ruin even single-player games for people.

I seriously hope they make the game the exact OPPOSITE of what you people want, simply because pissing you people would make me happy. Besides, maybe then we'll get a REAL update to the series, rather than "Fallout 1.25" as you people would rather have. If you want games to stay exactly the same and keep the same developer year after year, go play Megaman.

beware, many of the people here with no lives but have lots of time on their hands will disect your post and try to retort each sentance. BEWARE

Is there actually a point in 'dissecting' posts like those? Its just someone else with the same canned rethoric and backwards mentality that likes to take a position against something by using myths and rummors against a community he knows nothing about. I mean, how many times did people debunked the "Fallout fanboys won't be happy unless the next games are exact copies of the previous titles!" crap?

It gets tiresome putting folks like these into place. Let them rape their keyboards. It's their choice to look like pampered primadonnas who can't put two and two together and are stuck repeating the same on and on. Unless they specifically want to tango with us, let them act dumb.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Please, could you help, oh mighty fallout and good cRPG fan-base?

I mean, I loved Fallouts, maybe Fallout2 more than the first, because it was my first cRPG ever (though, I understand the first one is better because is more fundamental) and I have never played a better game than Fallout. I dont count myself a Fallout FAN, because I dont like the FAN thing. And I could critisize Fallout2 as well as Fallout in terms of gameplay, but...the heck...I repeat there has not been better game ever. Personally, I hate fantasy and love sci-fi. And I am in post-apocaliptic stuff too, love to take trips in abbandoned industrial areas and posess car that is as rusty as Highwayman. As you can see, Fallout is an ideal cRPG for me, that is why I care for it so much even not being FAN.

Today I come here and read that Bethesda has got the license of Fallout3. Your reaction is very negative, as I can read, meanwhile, as I recall Morrowind was great game, great in terms of free exploration, NPC interactions (stolen item recognition, eg), and freedom of character development (you could end up but unreal skill levels and proportional abilities). Though, I played the game very little, because it was awfully boring and game design was poor. ANd there were no dialog trees. Fantasy world just gave the last push away from the game. However, some of my friends, whose taste I respect, found this game worthy. At least better than the most of todays cRPGs (or games that dare to call themselves so).

You see my problem? Morrowind seemed just OK for me, but now you say its catastrophy for Fallout title...huh...Maybe you could clear something out for me? Morrowind was first person because, as I recall, all games in TES series have been first person. Considering Fallouts inheritance, we had to receive also iso-metric game. The crappy dialogue system TES used of course sucks, but hey, Bethesda should have noticed it allready and maybe we will get our d-trees back. And they claim to act in the best interests of Fallout FANS...we cannot believe if IPLY says so, we cannot believe if some bitchy console company or SSE :) claims that..but Bethesda is...in my opinion, somthing better, isnt it?

In short words - how bad is it? What I have read till now mostly is whining about the fact, I would really appreciate to learn WHY Bethesda is the not good choice. And no, I am not saying you are wrong, I just want to know.

As somebody has only been here a couple of months I know that this place is the most welcoming place in the world if you are reasonable, and put across your point reasonably.

The codex is infinitely supportive of indie developers, helps anyone who is interested in trying to develop something of their own. Will reserve judgement on games that promise a proper rpg experience, and is strongly supportive of developer houses that put substance above profit even if their games haven't been 100% what you were hoping.

When idiots come in here with there "DUR DUR look at teh retards who don't like my f@v game " attitide it just shows the shallow depths they plumbed in the attempts to actually figure this place out.

I would want nothing less than all out digital JIHAD if somebody intended to dev-rape Fallout. As far as the reaction to bethesda goes its been amazingly reserved by usual standards.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
As far as i'm concerned, the negativity is centered around Bethesda's design principles used in their games, most noteworthy, Morrowind. Morrowind, to some, was the opposite of Fallout on several aspects (from poor combat to absence of roleplaying), and given that Bethesda hasn't done much, if any, outside of that mold, people are doubtful they can succeed in doing a good Fallout 3.

I'm still stunned by that fact, there was never a mention of bethesda taking the license. It never would have even entered my mind as an option. Its a complete bombshell, I would have thought anyone from obsidian or troika to bioware etc. but never Bethesda, I thought they were busy making TES 4 for N-Gage

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
TFVanguard said:
You sound like a Star Trek or Transformers fan. Eh, remember, Fallout III doesn't destroy Fallout I anymore than Master of Orion III ruins my enjoyment of Master of Orion II. Yeah, there's some nostalgia factor being cashed in, but, I know these days to pay attention to the substance rather than the title.

Your example fails the test in that MOO is a 4X game, which means there isn't much along the lines of a story. CRPGs tend to have stories, and each of them builds on the other in terms of what the setting is.

Oh, and speaking of Star Trek fans, that's an interesting thing to mention considering the Star Trek franchise is currently failing because the fans, as dorky and goofy as they may be, don't like the direction that Paramount has taken with it. They don't go see the movies, nor do they watch Enterprise as much as they watched the other shows. When the fan base of the franchise got alienated, pardon the pun, Paramount's profits from that franchise managed to get alienated as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom