Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I'm glad to find out that I'm not really having the literal headache that I got from this amazing redesign, and that it's just me being a grognard.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
How many Codexers actually care about mobile? Internet forums are browsed on desktop PCs. And what's retarded about small text? If everyone here wanted the small text back, maybe people like it and it's better than having big text on some devices (as in, desktop PCs)? I like smaller text and hate how many modern sites switched to bigger fonts that make it harder to see a lot of text at once on the screen, making me scroll more. Just because it's from 20 years ago doesn't mean it has to be changed, or is no longer good.

I'm literally offering you 100 bucks to change it back yet you still refuse.

Right now, the number of Codex users on mobile is nearly 40% already and the number is growing every year. You're making presumptions based on your own usage, which are completely incorrect. The text is too small to read comfortably even on desktops, let alone mobile. It's too small for me to read without zooming in significantly, as well as for a good chunk of other users. Monitor and device resolutions have increased several times in the last 20 years, so keeping the same size font means that with every bump in the resolution, it looks smaller. Let alone on mobiles.

So the only sensible thing to do is to increase the size when it's nowhere near the 2022 norm, and anyone who prefers to read smaller text for some reason can zoom out if they want. Or use a small-font style, if provided.

And you have no idea what it means to edit a XenForo style. This style had to be redone from scratch, it's not a "change" of the old XF1 style. EVERYTHING on XenForo2 we need to redo from scratch, nothing just transfers over as-is. The entire underlying software has been recoded from scratch, in a different concept and in a different way. There is no copy-pasting what was before.

agris

Arcane
Patron
font seems different
Weird, font looks almost exactly the same to me. What is getting me is the color palette, I don't understand why the new style can't use the same RGB/HEX/web666 color values for post body as the old style.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Taluntain: Yes, please extend the actual thread/forum viewing area. Outside of ill-advised design dogma that somehow became widely adopted common wisdom, there is no reason why so much space should be wasted, and it's probably the single greatest contributor to the backlash because it reminds people of the rest of the web that so easily patronizes people.

I also second racofer's suggestion to use Dark Reader, it helps with contrast considerably. Maybe consider checking it out and adopting the color scheme directly.

There will be a fluid and fixed width style same as before, so nobody needs to complain about that any more, this is easy to do.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Taluntain something aside from design changes, how difficult would it be to restore the subforum threads appearing under the main forum like we had on the old site?

racofer

Thread Incliner
By the way, this is how the main forum page looks now with 11pt font, 90% width, and Dark Reader color override:

kxDLSbr.png

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Taluntain something aside from design changes, how difficult would it be to restore the subforum threads appearing under the main forum like we had on the old site?
It's just one of the dozens of things on the to-do. It will get done, there will be no loss of previously existing features by the time we're done with everything. Just have patience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Weird, font looks almost exactly the same to me. What is getting me is the color palette, I don't understand why the new style can't use the same RGB/HEX/web666 color values for post body as the old style.
Twiglard can you do anything about the colors? The old alternating gray-blues for posts were #484E5F (darker) and #596171 (lighter). None of the new site colors match, and I think this is one of the unarguable things that could be done to help ease the transition.

Reference image below

5AGHE7b.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And you have no idea what it means to edit a XenForo style. This style had to be redone from scratch, it's not a "change" of the old XF1 style. EVERYTHING on XenForo2 we need to redo from scratch, nothing just transfers over as-is. The entire underlying software has been recoded from scratch, in a different concept and in a different way. There is no copy-pasting what was before.
So the Codex I loved is forever gone, replaced with this hideously disfigured cripple?

Fuck :negative:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
All the emotes look like shit, and I guess I can't rate posts again, my text changes don't save in shoutbox (which is no big deal since the place is mostly cancer), but other than that the forum is still a forum where you can call people faggots and niggers and not get blacklisted. Oh and there are RPG's here.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
My feelings so far

Like I said the layout seems to be vertivally oriented leaving a lot of empy room that looks weird like it's some forum dedicated to Diablo Immortal fans and not old school rpg connoisseurs,also it seems to have a fixed size/resolution so with higher screen resolution is looks even worse,eg
1080p
Opera-Snapshot-2022-06-13-224037-rpgcodex-net.png

1440p
Opera-Snapshot-2022-06-13-224251-rpgcodex-net.png

I assume in 4k it looks like dogshit

Second the colour palette again feels off,not sure why the old colour palette can't be used

Third the smilies seem to be cramped in a little box,all of them the same size even those that have the Large designation,you can barely tell what some of them are

Opera-Snapshot-2022-06-13-224430-rpgcodex-net.png

Finally in the the old one you could see a nice large picture of your avater and below that some number info,now there is a tiny avater cramped up there and you have to click to see any further info

I am sure there will be more but these are just from the top of my head now

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
Playing around with Stylus and colors, I decided on these (combined with the aforementioned page width fixes):

Code:
/
[CODE]/* background color  */
.message-cell  {
        background-color: #202225;
    }

.bbCodeBlock {
        background-color: #333333 !important;
}

/* user block color */
.message-cell.message-cell--user, .message-cell.message-cell--action {
    background: #1c2331;

}

/* page width */
.p-body-inner {
        max-width: 98%;
}
[/CODE]

Example:

Untitled.png

Much less of an eyesore.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would love for the top banner to be removed or made smaller.

The width of posts also needs tweaking.

That's it for now. Thanks for your time.

thesecret1

Arcane
Right now, the number of Codex users on mobile is nearly 40% already and the number is growing every year. You're making presumptions based on your own usage, which are completely incorrect. The text is too small to read comfortably even on desktops, let alone mobile.
Have you actually asked any mobile users about this? Because I browse codex on mobile fairly often, and the text size is just fine, with no zooming needed. I absolutely reject your claim that this shit is done for my benefit or that I desire it! :outrage:

I literally never asked for this.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I've found out that nuCodex uses a different font than old codex (Lato vs Tahoma). I've updated my script to use the old font and readability has improved. I'll work on some more stuff tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom