Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Sure, but complaining in general without any relevant suggestions doesn't do anything except having me spend time scanning the long paragraph for anything useful. Same with scrolling past shitposts, and scrolling past people arguing with shitposts/sky-is-falling whiners.
The thing is that people use this thread to complain and give feedback. You’d need a thread about feedback with an initial post you could update with requests and things you’ve done, like this:
- fix "RateBrofist" with new reaction list
- add old-style border around reaction list
- fix for child forum name when posts are aggregated (aligned badly with square thread tag on the right)
- add a folder icon for threads with new posts (should the bold be dropped then?)
- more margin for posts without signature
Will the ignore thread be back as a function? Is it complicated to code in?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So I'm trying to shave off some pixels on the forum list to allow for longer display of last updated thread's name. It's now 350 pixels instead of 300. Does it look too cramped?

Also changed the forum description font to Helvetica Tahoma (for more text fitting horizontally) and forced it to justify.

Last edited:

Narushima

Cipher
- add old-style border around reaction list
I feel like no border at all might look better. As it is it's drawing quite a lot of attention to what is the least important part of a message.

So I'm trying to shave off some pixels on the forum list to allow for longer display of last updated thread's name. It's now 350 pixels instead of 300. Does it look too cramped?
It's perfectly fine with the full-width theme.
With the narrow one, I guess it looks okay, but I still wouldn't use that one.

I don't know if this little bug with the unread icon has been reported:

2022-06-15-13-28-08-rpgcodex-net-fb23439a9c83.png

Semiurge

Cipher
Why have some of the ratings been scaled smaller than others? The "rage" for example is still in its default size but most others are smaller. This makes it even harder to see what they are. I wager using the Ol'Dex size for all would not make a big difference for space used.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
It's perfectly fine with the full-width theme.
With the narrow one, I guess it looks okay, but I still wouldn't use that one.
It adjusts progressivelly for small window widths, even VERY small ones. That particular thread name width is only enforced for sizes below 1100px.
Why have some of the ratings been scaled smaller than others? The "rage" for example is still in its default size but most others are smaller. This makes it even harder to see what they are. I wager using the Ol'Dex 16x16px size for all would not make a big difference for space used.
The max height is now lower. I'll look into it, any particular ratings you have in mind?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
All. Make the max height the same as in Oldex, at a minimum. The poor ol' donut is beyond help though.
All of them seem to be at or below 22 pixels. Correct me if any non-donut ratings are still affected. I won't be removing max-height unless you want the full-sized donut.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
I don't know if this little bug with the unread icon has been reported:

2022-06-15-13-28-08-rpgcodex-net-fb23439a9c83.png
Is this still happening? The rectangular tag "Anime" should be aligned to the right as on the old 'dex. It could've been caused by intermittent .css syntax error.

Semiurge

Cipher
All of them seem to be at or below 22 pixels. Correct me if any non-donut ratings are still affected. I won't be removing max-height unless you want the full-sized donut.

They seem about right, but now's your chance to implement the original
vtEtMmz.gif
if you increase the max size a little without it automatically stretching the other buttons to match the height of that "artistic". Could it be done?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Yep, with both themes.
Could you be using MS Edge? I replaced float: inline-end with float: right and it should apply to the action bar (brofist, quote, reply) as well. It should work now.

Anyway I found a way to remove or add an empty line above a quote.

1655294757600.png

Last edited:

Narushima

Cipher
Could you be using MS Edge? I replaced float: inline-end with float: right and it should apply to the action bar (brofist, quote, reply) as well. It should work now.
No, I use Vivaldi (chromium-based). The tags are now on the right, yes.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I haven't noticed there being any obvious way to sort the button parade easily, but I haven't really looked yet.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Twiglard thanks again for all your hard work, the site is steadily getting better. One point though, the font used for post bodies was changed in the last ~24 hours from what the old font was. The font used to show quotes is correct though. Can you revert the post body font to use the same as that in quotes?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
the font used for post bodies was changed in the last ~24 hours from what the old font was
The font is still Tahoma. Taluntain insisted on the 14px font size (it was 13px before). It's starting to grow on me too because it plays nicer with the small amount of padding above and below the post's body.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The font is still Tahoma. Taluntain insisted on the 14px font size (it was 13px before). It's starting to grow on me too because it plays nicer with the small amount of padding above and below the post's body.
I thought the old font was Lato? Also, why is he unilaterally deciding what size it is when we had a poll indicating the majority of uses prefer the original size?

The font used for forum descriptions, under the forum list, is a bit too large and low-contrast imo. I think the old site made it a darker gray, if you want I can pull the the hex code for that for you.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member

I actually insisted on 15px, which has been the XF default for 5+ years. 14 is just barely passable for short-term reading.

Also, change the "Brofist" text back to "Rate"?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know I'm beating a dead horse and I'm probably starting to sound more autistic than Bester, but everything would look much cleaner without all those cluttering words and symbols. Look:

Untitled.png

The "share", "report", and "bookmark" functions can all be added under an arrow just left of the post number (IIRC, XenForo already has a "more options" functionality that should be visible by default).

Just like with buttons, everyone understand what those symbols are and, in any case, any doubt can be solved with the already present tooltip.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I actually insisted on 15px, which has been the XF default for 5+ years. 14 is just barely passable for short-term reading.

Good thing most on this site aren't blind or using a poorly fitted display.

DarkUnderlord will you restore the post body font to the OG size and style?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Codex just told me I should activate "push notifications". I have never used "push notifications" anywhere, I don't even know what they do but they sound fishy to me, so of course I declined.

All these terrible stylistic changes... so we can have "push notifications", whatever those are. Was it worth it?

No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom