Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Better, than the test site, blander than the past.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I have a question. I'm not a webdeveloper by any means but would it be possible to enable emoji support in posts? Is it deliberate that it doesn't work?

What I mean is: I write a comment and press Win+. which naturally opens up a popup with emojis, I select one but it doesn't appear in the post after clicking the reply button (it *does* appear while typing).
Possible, but requires updating the database to make it work, which is a bit of a PITA. I thought DU would do it when the forums were down as that was a good opportunity for it, but it didn't happen. Now that things are back in motion, the opportunity and motivation isn't really there any more. Whether or not DU deliberately didn't do it because he doesn't want emojis here, I don't know. Some should still work, but it's hit and miss.

agris

Arcane
Patron
But I'm probably going to install Tapatalk too anyway as they're likely going to kill our account there otherwise, they're already sending out threatening emails. Meh.

Why even support such an outdated ecosystem? You've got mobile pages, explicit tapatalk support seems like a waste of resources to support a redundant way to access the forums.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Up until now, push notifications were only available in Tapatalk and a lot of people absolutely loved them and wanted Tapatalk just for that. Now, whether there are other important Tapatalk features besides that, I don't really know. I only used Tapatalk a few times myself to see what it's like. Assuming that nothing else is a big deal, getting rid of it for good once they pay out the remaining few advertising bucks shouldn't be an issue. But if they kill the account due to inactivity, they keep those few bucks too.

Gargaune

Magister
Twiglard, two cosmetic questions:
- Could we have the default Codex troll avatar back for people who haven't bothered to set one? Whenever I see people running around with their initials, I feel like I'm reading my inbox and it makes me hate them.
- With the Spoiler tags, would it be possible to remove the "Spoiler:" prefix if the user has provided a text name for it like it was before? So, if I were to type [ spoiler=Click me], the button would just read "Click me" instead of "Spoiler: Click me."

And Taluntain, guessing this is more up your alley:
- The forum currently has a limit of 5 [MEDIA] embeds per post, could we have that upped a couple of pips or would that risk putting too much strain on the server?
- Is there a feature that would allow us to change the display order of poll options? E.g. I'd like to add Vault 13 to the list of Fo4 mod projects, but it feels wrong now not to end a Codex poll on kingcomrade.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
- Could we have the default Codex troll avatar back for people who haven't bothered to set one? Whenever I see people running around with their initials, I feel like I'm reading my inbox and it makes me hate them.
There is a setting for that somewhere in the ACP, just needs to have the old image specified there.
Fixing this will require an addon (unless there are more avatar-related settings in ACP aside from the style options). Avatar-related XF2 settings don't appear to do anything, for newly-created and oldfag users alike.
1655918405900.png

1655918450400.png
With the Spoiler tags, would it be possible to remove the "Spoiler:" prefix if the user has provided a text name for it like it was before? So, if I were to type [ spoiler=Click me], the button would just read "Click me" instead of "Spoiler: Click me."
Yes
The issue here isn't the server but people's computers. In various large embed threads, with dozens of video embeds on a single page, it's enough to drive up resource usage in any browser so high it basically chokes the whole browser. So with the system as it is, 5 is the max due to various threads with dozens of embeds.
The old setting used to be 10, as a compromise with GD posters.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
There is a setting for that somewhere in the ACP, just needs to have the old image specified there.

- The forum currently has a limit of 5 [MEDIA] embeds per post, could we have that upped a couple of pips or would that risk putting too much strain on the server?
The issue here isn't the server but people's computers. In various large embed threads, with dozens of video embeds on a single page, it's enough to drive up resource usage in any browser so high it basically chokes the whole browser. So with the system as it is, 5 is the max due to various threads with dozens of embeds.

I've seen on another forum that it's possible to handle the embeds differently so that the embeds basically only display "thumbnails" until any actual videos are in view, which is a much better way of doing it as it doesn't come with a huge resource hit. But this was handled with custom development there, so I don't know if there are any existing XF2 addons that we could just pop in place to handle that that way.

- Is there a feature that would allow us to change the display order of poll options? E.g. I'd like to add Vault 13 to the list of Fo4 mod projects, but it feels wrong now not to end a Codex poll on kingcomrade.
Is this an existing poll? I assume it could just be edited to add an option and copy over KC votes into a new entry by a mod.

Gargaune

Magister
With the Spoiler tags, would it be possible to remove the "Spoiler:" prefix if the user has provided a text name for it like it was before? So, if I were to type [ spoiler=Click me], the button would just read "Click me" instead of "Spoiler: Click me."
Yes
Cheers, that's perfect!

I've seen on another forum that it's possible to handle the embeds differently so that the embeds basically only display "thumbnails" until any actual videos are in view, which is a much better way of doing it as it doesn't come with a huge resource hit. But this was handled with custom development there, so I don't know if there are any existing XF2 addons that we could just pop in place to handle that that way.
No worries then, just figured this was the right time to ask with all the renovation going on. I'll just hyperlink the YouTube videos to or under some cover images, I'll see what works best.

Is this an existing poll? I assume it could just be edited to add an option and copy over KC votes into a new entry by a mod.
It is, I'll just ask Infinitron when I update the poll then.

I fixed the baby troll for users with no avatar.
Thank you, I no longer hate these people! Until I read what they post, anyway.

Just FYI, Twiglard, the avatar .png does have transparency, but the space underneath it doesn't currently follow the odd/even post colour scheme.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Glad to see some progress. It is still extremely shit and unusable, but there is still hope.

For those of us on rickety, anemic hardware would it be possible to have spoilers visible when browsing with javascript disabled as used to be the case?

I had also been expecting the glorious return of lilura as part of some late 20th anniversary celebrations. Surely, this too can be arranged?

Arbiter

Scholar
For those of us on rickety, anemic hardware would it be possible to have spoilers visible when browsing with javascript disabled as used to be the case?

I had also been expecting the glorious return of lilura as part of some late 20th anniversary celebrations. Surely, this too can be arranged?

I am sure Lilura will be back once BG3 is released so that she can state, once and for all, that vanilla BG1 is the only authoritative version.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Tags and campaign tags are back.

Known issues:
  • Patron tag is misaligned. Admin intervention is needed to crop the patron button.
  • Advertising plant and andhaira tags weren't tested because I don't know any users with them.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
It works, all the bot messages like !8ball et cetera stop displaying. Stuff like /hug /slap /me are attributed as being delivered by the shoutboxer in question so you'll see them unless you're ignoring that specific poster.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What do you mean, misaligned?
It looks perfectly​
fine​
like this
Show a screenshot.

I was being sacrcastic. Notice how my post is aligned.

The tags look wrong. Having the avatar and the usernames in the center is already not great but the Patron tag aligns with the left of the user avatar. It should either continue with the centeredness clusterfuck, or everything should align to the left, as it was.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I mean this one is probably the closest to what we had:

ag4-png.261385

Custom avatars field can probably be edited out. And I guess it would be best if it does not have to load all the avatars first before you can select one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom