Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2 is overrated, not as good as BG1 and is not a top 10 CRPG

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date
Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Damn Black . I forgot there was a time Volourn didn't pretend to type like a retard. Almost as funny as when he sucked up and begged to be a mod on obsidian forums when their company opened.

I think that played a major part in his psychological downfall.

Generic-Giant-Spider

My major problem with BG2 was aside from the world being sort of detailed and interesting there was a huge fall off in the quality of content once you go to that island to rescue Imoen.

Yeah, the game has 7 chapters and by chapter 2 you're killing red dragons and shit. And it's not due to some big, end of the chapter climatic gatekeeper boss fight. It's a side quest you do so you can raise gold to pay some dude living in a derelict house. I feel like if I'm capable of killing a fully grown, real man's red dragon then I can convince some jobber thief living in poverty that I'm the real deal. He wants to get a group to help me? Nigga, I AM THE GROUP. I'm walking around here with Excalibur and carrying a dragon's head in my left hand and he wants me to pay for his shitty guild's services? Meanwhile in chapter 2 of BG1 I'm having life or death battles with dread wolves and ogrillons on some random dirt road and I see a hobgoblin with a bow and I'm sweating bullets. I see a hostile humanoid with a bow and I'm sending Xzar to the opposite end of the map ASAP.

BG2 also introduced the world to companion romances. It will always bear that tainted scar no matter what happens.

Cael

Arcane
Simple companion quests? Most companions in BG 1 did not even have quests. There is also nothing complicated about companion quests since most are straightforward.
I think he is refering to the new NPCs in the EE version.

Sykar

Arcane
My major problem with BG2 was aside from the world being sort of detailed and interesting there was a huge fall off in the quality of content once you go to that island to rescue Imoen.

Yeah, the game has 7 chapters and by chapter 2 you're killing red dragons and shit. And it's not due to some big, end of the chapter climatic gatekeeper boss fight. It's a side quest you do so you can raise gold to pay some dude living in a derelict house. I feel like if I'm capable of killing a fully grown, real man's red dragon then I can convince some jobber thief living in poverty that I'm the real deal. He wants to get a group to help me? Nigga, I AM THE GROUP. I'm walking around here with Excalibur and carrying a dragon's head in my left hand and he wants me to pay for his shitty guild's services? Meanwhile in chapter 2 of BG1 I'm having life or death battles with dread wolves and ogrillons on some random dirt road and I see a hobgoblin with a bow and I'm sweating bullets. I see a hostile humanoid with a bow and I'm sending Xzar to the opposite end of the map ASAP.

BG2 also introduced the world to companion romances. It will always bear that tainted scar no matter what happens.

What a bunch of rubbish. A fresh party in BG 2 will not kill Firkraag unless you cheese the shit out of the fight in which case your opinion is worthless like fake tits on a zombie worthless. What is more chapter 2 is potentially by far the largest chapter if you do all the side content no ifs or buts so saying "I did it in chapther 2!" means absolutely nothing.
You think you are hot shit because you killed a red dragon? Aran Linvail has literally hundreds of underlings at his beck and call why would he be afraid of you? Also he explains what the costs are for. Getting the information about a top secret facility of a secretive order of elite mages isn't coming cheap and of course he wants to turn a profit from it as well. Life and dead situation in BG 1 is confined to the first 2-3 levels and beginning at level 5 you should be able to comfortably take on anything unless you suck hard and need to get good.

Companion romances are also easily avoidable. Furthermore Biodrones are to blame for their popularity. Bioware just tested the water and got huge positive feedback. Anyone would have jumped on that bandwagon as a developer including you.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yes it is true. But the organized codex faggotry will call you retarded. Because in the codex dogma, you aren't supposed to have a different opinion than the circlejerk.

BG1 was better than BG2 in every way that mattered: Better exploration, better combat (due to no high level mage faggotry of 2nd edition dnd), better story, better art style (i hated the arabian pirate style of 2), better music. BG2 only improved the graphics, and had moar varied enemies and higher level lewt. it also had some cringe romances. That was it.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Companion romances are also easily avoidable. Furthermore Biodrones are to blame for their popularity. Bioware just tested the water and got huge positive feedback. Anyone would have jumped on that bandwagon as a developer including you.

Yeah but even if you can avoid them they're still there, lol. The companions are still all cringe minus the sewer paladin. I still have to deal with Aeria, Jaheira or the Drow girl wanting to fuck me every 30 mins.

They even made Imoen more annoying.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You think you are hot shit because you killed a red dragon?

Brother, I think I'm the HOTTEST shit because I just ended a red dragon, went down to kill some edgy faggoty "Shade Lord" and his bitch ass SHADOW DRAGON while simultaneously ending his sex cult, and I still have time to solve a murder mystery involving a tanner before dinner. I'm the fucking biggest dick you've ever seen walk into the Copper Coronet and you best remember this strut because it's gonna be going down into the Underdark in a few hours to kill the African elves, pit demons and silver dragons by the dozens. Then if I'm not too thirsty I'll go and smack down some pussy vampires.

If you want to apologize to me, just follow the trail of dead mindflayers and beholders I leave behind. In BG2 I am a God, son.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Brother, I think I'm the HOTTEST shit because I just ended a red dragon, went down to kill some edgy faggoty "Shade Lord" and his bitch ass SHADOW DRAGON while simultaneously ending his sex cult, and I still have time to solve a murder mystery involving a tanner before dinner. I'm the fucking biggest dick you've ever seen walk into the Copper Coronet and you best remember this strut because it's gonna be going down into the Underdark in a few hours to kill the African elves, pit demons and silver dragons by the dozens. Then if I'm not too thirsty I'll go and smack down some pussy vampires.

If you want to apologize to me, just follow the trail of dead mindflayers and beholders I leave behind. In BG2 I am a God, son.

Yup. This is the reason many faggots prefer BG2, even if they don't realize this because they are in denial. They prefer games where you are "the chosen one", and you become the ultimate focus point of badassery in the world. That the way they can feel like they are something they are not in real life: useful human beings...

I hate "chosen one" stories because they are all cringe. No one should be special. Being a great guy shouldn't be because you had a God parent or some other gimmick no one else has... Like in real life, truly special people are those who are perfectly normal and elevate themselves through a better personality... Those are the truly great stories...

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
You think you are hot shit because you killed a red dragon?

I always wondered why Athkatala(spelling?) is so much more powerful then Baldur's gate. Think about it, the plot of BG1 was seravok trying to provoke a war with AMN. Look at all the shit in the city in BG2. Baldur's gate would of gotten their ass kicked.

Generic-Giant-Spider

And for the record, "Sykar", if that is your real name, fake tits on a zombie would appeal to necrophiliacs thus not being useless at all. So that's a self-congratulatory TWO points for me, ZERO for you.

Hah, go back to Minesweeper Flags, KID. This is Spider Town now. I accept written essays, hips-apart-hugs, Steam keys and coupons for Swiss Chalet when you wanna make amends.

Sykar

Arcane
And for the record, "Sykar", if that is your real name, fake tits on a zombie would appeal to necrophiliacs thus not being useless at all. So that's a self-congratulatory TWO points for me, ZERO for you.

Hah, go back to Minesweeper Flags, KID. This is Spider Town now. I accept written essays, hips-apart-hugs, Steam keys and coupons for Swiss Chalet when you wanna make amends.

It is a game reference you imbecile.

Yup. This is the reason many faggots prefer BG2, even if they don't realize this because they are in denial. They prefer games where you are "the chosen one", and you become the ultimate focus point of badassery in the world. That the way they can feel like they are something they are not in real life: useful human beings...

I hate "chosen one" stories because they are all cringe. No one should be special. Being a great guy shouldn't be because you had a God parent or some other gimmick no one else has... Like in real life, truly special people are those who are perfectly normal and elevate themselves through a better personality... Those are the truly great stories...

Baldur's Gate 1 is just as much of a chosen one story as BG 2. Good job shooting yourself in the foot there.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

It is a game reference you imbecile.

From what game :)

Sykar

Arcane
Yes it is true. But the organized codex faggotry will call you retarded. Because in the codex dogma, you aren't supposed to have a different opinion than the circlejerk.

BG1 was better than BG2 in every way that mattered: Better exploration, better combat (due to no high level mage faggotry of 2nd edition dnd), better story, better art style (i hated the arabian pirate style of 2), better music. BG2 only improved the graphics, and had moar varied enemies and higher level lewt. it also had some cringe romances. That was it.

In what way does exploring mostly empty maps with a couple of trash encounters and little to no loot constitute to "better exploration"? Better story? Your brother wants to murder you, murder him instead. Wow man such a great story. Better art style? Entirely subjective. BG 2 had higher resolution and more details so on that front it is at least objectively better. "Only" improved graphics, varied enemies and higher level loot which was not dull +x to damage and to hit unlike BG 1 is quite the handwaving considering that combat was a big part of BG 1 as well. High level spells is what gives BG 2 superior tactical depth because melee and ranged combat is boring and trite as fuck since all you can do is auto attack and let the dice decide your fate, there is little thought involved if any at all.

In other words, your opinion is nothing but contrarian garbage which has no leg to stand upon. It is fine to prefer BG 1 over BG 2 but pretending like BG 1 is a master piece and BG 2 is utter shite is as disingenuous as it can get.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The whole fantasy genre is overrated. It's like seeing a western over and over again with the plot being some guy comes to town and kills all the bad guys that are doing bad stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom