Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Biden wants to tax violent video games

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How is "Biden says there’s no legal reason video games couldn't be taxed" the same as "Biden wants to tax video games"? How is it a declaration? I'm lazy, so maybe there are other quotes out there, but this just seems like some people can into jumping to conclusions and can't into reading comprehension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How is "Biden says there’s no legal reason video games couldn't be taxed" the same as "Biden wants to tax video games"? How is it a declaration? I'm lazy, so maybe there are other quotes out there, but this just seems like some people can into jumping to conclusions and can't into reading comprehension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak
Not really. I mean, it could be, but what it is, is not enough information, shitty video game journalism, and dumb people on the internet.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really. I mean, it could be, but what it is, is not enough information, shitty video game journalism, and dumb people on the internet.
Context. There is a large ongoing discussion about violence in the US. Since trying to tackle the gun lobby / NRA would actually be difficult and require some balls to pull off successfully, the current DC establishment has discovered a handy substitute: virtual guns! (To head off any 2nd Amendment nutjobs: I don't believe any approach would work in the US unless the culture itself would change radically). From trying to tie up video games creators in the narrative by inviting them to the discussion table when they do not actually have anything to do with the discussion to various voice from the White House clamoring for tighter control of content produced you have it all. In this late you cannot interpret Joe's musings as anything else as a first salvo in the newest attempt to entertain the American voter with a faux useful activity.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In this late you cannot interpret Joe's musings as anything else as a first salvo in the newest attempt to entertain the American voter with a faux useful activity.
Yeah, you can. It could mean anything. All you have to work with is a true statement about tax laws, which is being called 'a declaration' by fucking IGN. I refuse to make any judgment on way or another based on such vague bullshit, until more info is in, and you should all be ashamed for not doing the same.
Apparently bad journalism is ok if it serves your own prejudice. You are what's wrong with human race.

I'll shout FU Biden, as soon as I know something has happened.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, the Vice President of the USA randomly goes on record musing about the validity of taxing various products. For the hell of it. It's just his hobby.

But by all means, stick your head in the sand.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Gun industry is really shooting themselves in the foot lately blaming violence on video games to deflect blame. Video games promote gun culture and have been proven to increase sales of real world weapons that are featured in games, not to mention the licensing fees the manufacturers can get. If more gun owners had the balls they try so hard to show off in gun ads they'd just come out and call it like it is. Guns are a dangerous technology but no different than any other dangerous technology, in fact cause far less deaths than most such as cars, and while arguably a luxury they are no different than any other luxury as well, like driving a SUV, which also more harmful in the long run.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
fc,140x140,royal_blue.u1.jpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, the Vice President of the USA randomly goes on record musing about the validity of taxing various products. For the hell of it. It's just his hobby.

But by all means, stick your head in the sand.
Legality, not validity. Reading comprehension. School stuff.
By all means, talk out of your ass, trust IGN, don't go to the source, and don't be critical of the information you receive.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/05/biden-gun-control-to-wait-for-immigration-163361.html
Those present for the Monday evening meeting included Franklin Graham, son of the evangelist Billy Graham and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, and Barrett Duke, the vice president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, the Southern Baptist Convention’s public policy arm.
The meeting also included Bruce Reed, Biden’s chief of staff, and Melissa Rogers, the director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, according to people who attended.
Graham, two people in the meeting said, told Biden the government should consider taxing media companies that broadcast violent images and produce violent video games.
“He floated the idea that media and entertainment that portray violence should be subject to a special tax, with the proceeds going to help victims and their families," said Rabbi Julie Schonfeld, the executive vice president of the Rabbinical Assembly.
Biden told Graham that there was “no restriction on the ability to do that, there’s no legal reason why they couldn’t” tax violent images, Clark added.
Graham’s representatives did not respond to requests for comment. Biden’s office also did not respond to requests to comment about the meeting.
Biden told the religious leaders that he would like to see a comprehensive study of the impact that violent video games and movies has on developing brains.
“He said they really need a good scientific study, which they’ve done on things like smoking,” Clark said.

So... One religious dumbfuck proposes that violent media should be taxed, and Biden informs him that legally it's possible ( which is true), but he needs to present a rigorous scientific study that would prove the correlation between violence and violent media.
And that's fucking it. You can spin it any way you want if you don't care about journalistic integrity, and that's what IGN and many other sites did, because that's what they do, because they don't have integrity, which is what all of yo have been bitching about for years. And know you're buying their shit like little children.

:decline:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Americans waging war all over the world and then the vice-president talks about taxing violent games.

Is there no end to the stupidity of the KWA?

Maybe cut back your military expenses?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Look at me, a Military Veteran.

8273.jpg

What the fuck do you think?

Don't ask stupid questions.

Unless you're an Merican and then it's ok because God blessed you with the right to be stupid.

mck

Cipher
They'd get more money if they introduced a tax on all games.

but first we must define what a fuck you

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Americans waging war all over the world and then the vice-president talks about taxing violent games.

Maybe cut back your military expenses?
The sequester cut 42 billion of defense spending, 'course they've slowly been repealing those and anything that inconveniences rich people while leaving social programs cuts as is.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just to add: the Vice President has no power to implement a tax.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom