Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

DraQ

Arcane
:what:

Did this guy just spent over 2 minutes locked in a room with a powerloader unable to find the powerloader, most of the time running against the walls in the direction of the objective?

Direct Quote said:
Blah blah BLAH blah BLAH... So many TUTORIAL things...
Judging by this vide the guy would need at least two tutorials to wipe his own ass - the first showing in simple steps how to find it.

Jesus fucking christ.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
:what:

Did this guy just spent over 2 minutes locked in a room with a powerloader unable to find the powerloader, most of the time running against the walls in the direction of the objective?
Comedy gold.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I know it ,but Bioshock 1 and System Shock 2 didn't tried to say anything or discuss any social issue.

:hmmm:
There was a scene where you have to throw a ball at a mixed race couple to show RACISM? I don't remember. I just was too radical by saying that they don't tried to say anything but in Bio 1 and 2 the objectivism was just the backdrop, and the game never seriously paid attention to it. You could change the dialog of Andrew Ryan to him to be a collectivist crazy dictator and that would have no impact in how the game plays (That was exactly what they did with Bio 2). It was objectivism for littles kiddies to understand. Andrew Ryan talk about basic stuff that even the average Joe can understand and Ken Lavine can score cool points to look intelligent by talking about something that isn't popular and then bullshiting it with: "There was no goverment, so people got insane and became retarded monsters, don't pay too much attention to any of it, just go there and kill the motherfuckers". Bio infinite has that shit in your face all the time so people that can't pay attention to anything for more than a second could see the RACISM, EXPLOITATION and ELITISM, it was annoying to me because only Booker and Elizabeth can be considered normal people, the rest are only crazy lunatics, on Bio 1 it kinda made sense, on Bio Infinite it is jarring because it was supposed to be a working society. Whatever, the game was too shitty anyway to lose time talking about this...

Angthoron

Arcane
There was a scene where you have to throw a ball at a mixed race couple to show RACISM? I don't remember. I just was too radical by saying that they don't tried to say anything but in Bio 1 and 2 the objectivism was just the backdrop, and the game never seriously paid attention to it. You could change the dialog of Andrew Ryan to him to be a collectivist crazy dictator and that would have no impact in how the game plays (That was exactly what they did with Bio 2). It was objectivism for littles kiddies to understand. Andrew Ryan talk about basic stuff that even the average Joe can understand and Ken Lavine can score cool points to look intelligent by talking about something that isn't popular and then bullshiting it with: "There was no goverment, so people got insane and became retarded monsters, don't pay too much attention to any of it, just go there and kill the motherfuckers". Bio infinite has that shit in your face all the time so people that can't pay attention to anything for more than a second could see the RACISM, EXPLOITATION and ELITISM, it was annoying to me because only Booker and Elizabeth can be considered normal people, the rest are only crazy lunatics, on Bio 1 it kinda made sense, on Bio Infinite it is jarring because it was supposed to be a working society. Whatever, the game was too shitty anyway to lose time talking about this...

Actually, you have a good point there.

And I guess I can slightly lessen my dislike for Ken Levine due to his anti-Randian sentiments. Slightly.

Fuck Ken Levine with a little lube.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Actually, you have a good point there.

And I guess I can slightly lessen my dislike for Ken Levine due to his anti-Randian sentiments. Slightly.

Fuck Ken Levine with a little lube.
Do you really think he even read an Ayn Rand book in his entire life? His approach to objectivism is as intelligent as his approach of the early days of the last century. Something that he read in wikipedia, thought it was cool and decided to make a game about it without knowing what the hell he was talking about. Gaming journalists are as ignorant as him and praise him , thinking he is revolutionary and an example to be followed in the hipsterification of games. I just prefer the Ken Lavine did the fallowing: 1) be honest and don't pretend to say anything relevant and 2) don't talk bullshit about something he don't know. In Bio 1, his hipsterism was more tolerable and under control, even if I could see all the things he got wrong but it didn't affected the gameplay too much. Bio Infinite is a linear piece of garbage that scream hipsterism all the time. Tarantino is more honest with his "historic" movies because he don't pretend that is more than bullshit, Lavine should learn more with him when making his cinematic movies prentending to be games.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Relevant: over on Sophisticated Gamers, Inc, we've got this System Shock 2 retrospective/replay.
It’s… it’s not easy, is it?
But at the same time it echoes dying features of the 90s, some missed, some well abandoned. For instance, it’s been a while since I thought, “I really should have read the manual”.
Even reading how to flipping play the game is dangerous. Because all those elements are further complicated by the need to charge some of them up via occasional charge points, others require the use of injections, food, boosters, software, and many other never-explained bits and pieces.
Now who could see that coming?
To be fair, he does get SS2 even if he is ambiguous about liking it:
Well, I’ve never played Farmville either. So take that. But wow, I’m not sure I possess the mettle for System Shock 2. It’s not the scares – I’m loving those – it takes a lot for anything to make me jump, and SS2 has had me bouncing in my chair. But for the unrelenting, incessant sense of vulnerability, of being on the very edge of failure, holding on with the tips of my fingertips.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Just finished it.

The ending: :rage:

LEVINE, YOU FUCKTARD, YOU MISSED THE POINT OF MULTIVERSE THEORY COMPLETELY!

The story of the game is one big plothole.

facepalm.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Relevant: over on Sophisticated Gamers, Inc, we've got this System Shock 2 retrospective/replay.
It’s… it’s not easy, is it?
But at the same time it echoes dying features of the 90s, some missed, some well abandoned. For instance, it’s been a while since I thought, “I really should have read the manual”.
Even reading how to flipping play the game is dangerous. Because all those elements are further complicated by the need to charge some of them up via occasional charge points, others require the use of injections, food, boosters, software, and many other never-explained bits and pieces.
Now who could see that coming?
To be fair, he does get SS2 even if he is ambiguous about liking it:
Well, I’ve never played Farmville either. So take that. But wow, I’m not sure I possess the mettle for System Shock 2. It’s not the scares – I’m loving those – it takes a lot for anything to make me jump, and SS2 has had me bouncing in my chair. But for the unrelenting, incessant sense of vulnerability, of being on the very edge of failure, holding on with the tips of my fingertips.
Seriously, he sounds like a ADHD retard in this retrospective. Not something unexpected from John "Mangina" Walker.

It's fucking scary that people this dumb exist. I can only hope they never drive a car because they can't walk over 100% of the area of the house and wait for the a HUD UI to tell you to press the A-A-Awesome button to pick up keys.

Machocruz

Arcane
Game audience needs games designed in such a way as to make up for their incompetence or laziness. Board games, card games, wargames, PnP RPGs come with instruction manuals, but that vidya gamers can't accept it in their hobby. For some reason vidya games should be free from such conventions, they're too special, and they're audience is too special (although they love their conventions when it comes to the games themselves). They should never have to learn how to play a video game, or get better at a video game, or lose a video game, or adapt to a video game. The video game should learn who they are, get better at pleasing them, win for them, and adapt to them.

Mraston

Learned
Hey, I'm slowly trudging my way through this game.

It's kind of hard to take a game seriously which has a main supporting character that can literally do anything.

It's like a 15 year old wrote the story and used the term "alternate realities" to gloss over any plot inconsistencies.

pan

Learned
On Objectivism:

Going by what I've read in Atlas Shrugged, my guess is that objectivism is based on the idea that "if you believe in something hard enough it becomes objective truth". If true than 1) is this not a rip-off of whatever Lyric Suite talks about (minus the religious angle):troll: and 2) what point is there in approaching it

On Racism in 1920:

Obviously society was more racist in the past, everyone knows that. But the misconception in this game (and media in general) is that racism was the defining trait of those times. Literature written around that time like Great Gatsby and Brave New World made mention of racism but focused on something far more important: the avant of consumerism. Mankind's new-found love of material goods brought about by the roaring twenties was by far the most important aspect of society at that time. Stuff like disillusionment with traditional values following the massacre of WW1 would have been a more worthy subject to touch on than petty, cartoony racism demonstrated in this game. So, the fact that the writer of this game could think of nothing more profound to say about the era than this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mw-k_lI-SU -- is pretty fucking pathetic. Well, actually no, stupid shit like that is made all of the time. The pathetic part is that people actually PRAISE it for it's "meaningful message":decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom