Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

The big problem of Bio Infinite is that issues like racism, income inequality, religiosity, war are so much exploited for political reasons in a very dishonest way by politicians. Bio Infinine didn't tried to bring anything new and just regurgitated the traditional political narrative, there is nothing there that I didn't saw a hundred times. Most gamming journalists lauded what is just the traditional political propaganda but in game form this time, the workers are exploited, everyone that isn't black is racist, industrialists are evil because they are rich and etc. without developing in the complexity of those issues. Anyone that read a little can see the superficial, brainless ways those themes are discussed and I wasn't impressed at all, it is as people already, said Bio Infinite discusses social issues as Django discusses racism, but at least Tarantino don't pretend that it is more than bullshit and movie critics aren't approval whores like gamming journalists in general . You can see the conflict of Irrational, they wanted to score cool points from the ignorant media but at same time make a traditional linear shooter to sell, the end result is something that isn't good in both. It is like some people already said, Bio Infinite should be an adventure game or a shooter that don't pretend to say anything.
Shit man, I'd go so far as to say Django had more going for it than Bioshock Infinite, purely because it was far less exploitative of the political sentiments and history of the time, and how they are seen in the present, in general.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not so fresh news

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/13/bioshock-infinite-air-mails-3-7-million-units/

BioShock Infinite has shipped over 3.7 million units, according to Take-Two interactive's year-end financials released today. The company noted the game experienced "significantly" higher first-month sales than any other BioShock release.

The company also mentioned it has seen solid demand for the BioShock Infinite Season Pass, but did not share any numbers. The Season Pass will include the game's three coming DLC packs.

3.7 millions units. I wonder if the 200 miliion $ budget is real. If yes, than they probably still need to milk the game. Thus the DLC parade will start sooner or later.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not so fresh news

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/13/bioshock-infinite-air-mails-3-7-million-units/

BioShock Infinite has shipped over 3.7 million units, according to Take-Two interactive's year-end financials released today. The company noted the game experienced "significantly" higher first-month sales than any other BioShock release.

The company also mentioned it has seen solid demand for the BioShock Infinite Season Pass, but did not share any numbers. The Season Pass will include the game's three coming DLC packs.

3.7 millions units. I wonder if the 200 miliion $ budget is real. If yes, than they probably still need to milk the game. Thus the DLC parade will start sooner or later.
Luckily they have an infinite number of parallel realities to explore build linear corridors in.

Branm

Learned
Shit game, only managed to play it for like 1 hr. Thank god i leeched this.

On rails, combat mindless and crap...SKIP SKIP SKIP

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not so fresh news

They already have a season pass.

baturinsky

Arcane
I can't think of a single game that was made better by having a message or discussing social issues.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a single piece of fiction in any form that was made better by having a message or discussing social issues.

In fact, words such as "social issues", "theme", "message" are the kind that piss me off in the context of fiction. I can see how having a unifying theme can help enhance cohesiveness and purity but beyond that?

None of my favorite games or movies are tainted by messages or at least they aren't part/a large part of what made them so good. It's possible that this simply makes me a more superficial or primal
gamer but it is what it is.

I would love to hear about the messages some prominent games (supposedly) have. Or why having these "messages" is good in the first place as I've never understood that.

Propaganda has messages. Good fiction asks questions.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

UDVBj.gif

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Since when did Ken turn into a storyfag anyway?

He so often exclaimed how player-driven narrative á la Thief, Shock2 etc. is important....until he showed his true colors with this Bullshit: Infinite fiasco. Guess the cinema-fever got him too, now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Uh... are you kidding me? Ever since Bioshit 1 and it's heavy handed morality play themes.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't understand the logic behind a remake of Logan's Run.

If they want a retard version of Logan's Run, they ALREADY have it, and it's called Michael Bay's "The Island."
The logic is perfectly clear, and is the same logic the AAAAA+ game industry follows: it is safer and easier to ride on the coattails of a previously successful franchise than to come up with something original.

Exactly. Be happy. Hopefully he will never return.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom