Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

aris

Arcane
Like the story or not, Infinite inclines in another way that few other modern games though: It isn't a game with heavy narration exposition, understanding the stories and how things are connected is almost never spelled out to you (compare that with the beyond stupid story of diablo 3, where everything is hammered into you with long and uninteresting cutscenes). You have to connect the dots yourself by listening to the audio logs, to what people say and what visual information you can gain. You can easily play though the game, and miss almost the entire story walking out of it dazed and confused, indeed many people here thought there were plot holes, where there really weren't.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, i'm like halfway through and so far it's worse than Bioshock, levels seem less open and less interactable/more linear with even less interactivity from vigors/plasmids with the level-design (aside from a few reachable places when you use the lightning thing).

The levels are mostly much more open actually. Bioshock had large areas but they were huge bundles of rooms, not big open spaces. Infinite has a ton of big open spaces throughout, even if like Crysis 2 they are just really big linear corridors.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like the story or not, Infinite inclines in another way that few other modern games though: It isn't a game with heavy narration exposition, understanding the stories and how things are connected is almost never spelled out to you (compare that with the beyond stupid story of diablo 3, where everything is hammered into you with long and uninteresting cutscenes). You have to connect the dots yourself by listening to the audio logs, to what people say and what visual information you can gain. You can easily play though the game, and miss almost the entire story walking out of it dazed and confused, indeed many people here thought there were plot holes, where there really weren't.

It also rarely takes control away from you and dispenses most of its story through world events you can move around during.

It's very Half Life 2 in design.

Dexter

Arcane
Anyway, i'm like halfway through and so far it's worse than Bioshock, levels seem less open and less interactable/more linear with even less interactivity from vigors/plasmids with the level-design (aside from a few reachable places when you use the lightning thing).

The levels are mostly much more open actually. Bioshock had large areas but they were huge bundles of rooms, not big open spaces. Infinite has a ton of big open spaces throughout, even if like Crysis 2 they are just really big linear corridors.
With open I don't mean "you can look at the sky", but the actual level-design. It's so simplified in Bioshock: Infinite that you don't even need a map and there ain't any. You always have a clear objective and a very straightforward way to get there with only a few siderooms here and there.

Bioshock's level design reminded me of System Shock 2, and that was its greatest boon. There were also secret/hidden rooms where you had to melt ice, activate some sort of mechanisms or shoot something through a glass to get there and you needed to look at the map to orient quite often, there were also multiple levels etc. this doesn't seem to be the case in Infinite and all "secrets" I've found so far are very "in-your-face".

Fort_Frolic_Map.png

Medical_Pavilion_Map.png

Olympus_Hights_Map.png

You have to connect the dots yourself by listening to the audio logs, to what people say and what visual information you can gain. You can easily play though the game, and miss almost the entire story walking out of it dazed and confused, indeed many people here thought there were plot holes, where there really weren't.
I haven't played through so I can't comment on it overall, but that is totally new shit right there, they're breaking new ground, especially with audio logs and shit.

It also rarely takes control away from you and dispenses most of its story through world events you can move around during.
Control gets taken from me regularly during large portions of the game, the game even starts with this in mind.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No need to a thesis dude, I said myself it was much more linear. I only wanted to point out the actual areas themselves are more open, as in large open spaces. We're both right, I was just clarifying the "open" part.

Azazel

Arbiter
This is such a rich game.

Man, this game has a lot of depth that I missed in my first playthrough. Will have to make sure to give it another spin.

Kind of blows my mind that so far, in accordance with the internal logic of the game, Infinite's time-space tale is actually... Coherent. Airtight, even. All of this scrutiny and it still makes sense -- a triumph for a tale of this sort.

What's more, it's incredibly human, intimate, and dramatically resonant. It's not just there because it's neat, it actually serves as a framework providing multiple perspectives on Booker, which is key to understanding his redemption.

:x Fucking NeoGaf.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

It's very Half Life 2 in design.

It's a mix of Half Life "you can walk around while stuff happens", Gears of War "Hold F to look at awesomeness", COD unskippable first-person cutscenes, and SS2 audio logs.

I'd even say that, as a whole, Bioshock Infinite feels like a total-mix of every design elements of this generation of AAA games.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
This is such a rich game.

Man, this game has a lot of depth that I missed in my first playthrough. Will have to make sure to give it another spin.

Kind of blows my mind that so far, in accordance with the internal logic of the game, Infinite's time-space tale is actually... Coherent. Airtight, even. All of this scrutiny and it still makes sense -- a triumph for a tale of this sort.

What's more, it's incredibly human, intimate, and dramatically resonant. It's not just there because it's neat, it actually serves as a framework providing multiple perspectives on Booker, which is key to understanding his redemption.

:x Fucking NeoGaf.

I feel your pain brother. Especially considering the game's multiverse story is pretty much the same as "Singularity". It's so cliched.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So, I just finished it. It definitely wasn't Bioshock. It's another IP masquerading as a Bioshock game. And i'm not just saying that because the setting has changed, but because Bioshock is barely detectable in this game, aside from the plasmids.

The story was rather derp. Pretentious as fuck while it's actually amateur sci-fi hour in the writer's office. Combat was tedious as fuck and more often than not I would get so pissed at having to fight through another 30 enemies I'd alt-tab and go do something else for a few minutes.

I guess if you can stomach decline, you might like it. Otherwise, move along. It's a severely dumbed-down Bioshock. which in turn was a dumbed-down System Shock.

aris

Arcane
Wow. That didn't take long.

Now if only this girl
9d9715cd94e05a96d5c8b46ea99327a5-bioshock-infinites-elizabeth-cosplay.jpg

could be persuaded into something similar...

aris

Arcane
o_O I had to google velvet dress to find out what it was, I'm frankly shocked that you knew it, let alone notice that she doesn't wear one.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
go to the nearest tranny factory then,faggot

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Your superiour transcendent logic has proven that comparing tiny mosquito bites with massive boobs in the previous post somehow equals something about trannies.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Just beat the game, and i've got to say, just because a plot is convoluted, doesn't make it good.

The 2 "twins" have absolutely no role/place being in the story, other than being tryhard mysterious plot devices, which already have their role filled by Elizabeth. I'm also glad that I sailed the high sea's, because I beat it with 6 hours, in 1 sitting. Also, there is no content diversity whatsoever in this game, with like 4 different enemy types, and the "red" weapons being nothing more than terrible reskins of the normal weapons. Don't even get me started on how the game went from a steampunk adventure game, to a supernatural horror with the zombies and ghosts at the end. After beating this game, I can only hope someone breaks Kevin Levine's hands, so he can't write anymore shitty inception ripoffs.

Multi-headed Cow

Took me 20. But I'm slow, was playing on 1999, and was searching for secrets. Ended up missing something like 3 audio logs god damn it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom