Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"We're giving these people millions of dollars to start the incline up again, yet they like these games which we treat as unholy marks of evil. DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!"

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Do you really consider B:I incline? Especially when pretty much everything about it is decline from B1 and 2?

When a game is incline from other shooters (not that hard to manage), but a decline from its two year old predecessor, is it incline or decline?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do you really consider B:I incline?

Fuck no. It's actually pretty fucking disappointing.

It's just amusing to me people who enjoyed the game on some level are seen as traitors by some of you, yet your favorite developers are giving Levine blowjobs on twitter.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Why should I consider people enjoying a game I don't traitors? I just like to provoke them and watch them get angry.

I also don't give a fuck what 'my favorite developers' do on twitter. If they want to felch Levine then that's there problem. Am I supposed to somehow be shocked/angry/taken aback when Avellone likes a game I don't? If I got pissed off/sad every time someone I liked enjoyed something I didn't, I would be angry all the time.

I really don't get this whole 'HAH AVELLONE LIKES BIOSHOCK INFINITE TAKE DAT MUTHAFUCKAS' attitude some of you have.

Gozma

Arcane
It's just amusing to me people who enjoyed the game on some level are seen as traitors by some of you, yet your favorite developers are giving Levine blowjobs on twitter.

I am not one of the eastern european omnihatred brigade that gets mad at anyone saying the game was okay, but I am indeed butthurt about developers circlejerking on twitter. I feel like the "gawsh it's really grate!1" stuff, even if it is pure affectation to be politic, is a problem. B:I is a serious disaster in terms of game criticism (even though it is actually just another inoffensive production value corridor shooter in itself) and people need to start tearing bloody chunks out of it, and people that contributed to feting the thing need to be humiliated. The worst thing that could happen is for a critical mass of industry circlejerk to give developers the conceit that their shit is safely middlebrow-compliant for having callow imitation Oscar moments injected into 99% filler gameplay.

potatojohn

Arcane
It's one thing to enjoy a shitty cinematic shooter if that's your thing, but it's a whole nother thing to put on an air of authority and pronounce it the best game ever and the game that proves that games can be art and whatever the fuck.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The only thing that really bothers me about the positive reviews is how most reviewers gloss over the fact that the combat is complete shit or excuse it based on the fact that the story is 'good.'

In my opinion, if the part of the game that takes up 80% of your time is shit, then your game is clearly... shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I also don't give a fuck what 'my favorite developers' do on twitter. If they want to felch Levine then that's there problem. Am I supposed to somehow be shocked/angry/taken aback when Avellone likes a game I don't? If I got pissed off/sad every time someone I liked enjoyed something I didn't, I would be angry all the time.

It'd be really awesome if you were naked on the floor crying, screaming to the ceiling "WHY MCA?!?! WHYYYYYYY?!?!?!"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The only thing that really bothers me about the positive reviews is how most reviewers gloss over the fact that the combat is complete shit or excuse it based on the fact that the story is 'good.'

In my opinion, if the part of the game that takes up 80% of your time is shit, then your game is clearly... shit.

Nothing new. People want semi-interactive movies, not games.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

Nothing new. People want semi-interactive movies, not games.

But even as a semi-interactive movie, this game is just mediocre. I'd even say COD4 had a better storyline, better presentation, better sociapolitical commentary and generally better everything else.

Divinity: Original Sin
The more I think about this gaem and it's pseudo brilliant ending, the more I realize it's shit.

What is the problem of letting comstock raise elizabeth as his substitute and make her destroy NYC? And why old elizabeth would want to change the past since she is enjoying attackin NYC?

Other shit thing in this game is relating everything that happens according to the baptism scene. Stupid people think that only some events are defining, when every single fraction of time is a defining moment in itself. so, if you have infinite realities, Columbia could even exist without comstock, since there's those "luttece fields" out there to be discovered.

if there's so many infinite realities, the fact that the fgame uses just one gay from one of these realities to resolve and decide for infinite versions of these character is completely forced. The fact they present it so chopped and with little information is just to hide that they knew they had a good theme/concept but it was too overwhelming to their poor ompetence to write about it.

Just finished the game, and that ending kills any amount of 'good for what it is' goodwill I'd accrued playing it. Everything went derp in the last half hour and completely borked the narrative.

One man's search for answers and a way to make peace with his past falls apart when his companion suddenly becomes God and takes away all choices and progress made.

Go back and kill the Lutteces themselves since the hard-on the female one had for her counterpart is what started this whole mess. Without their experiments none of this crap happens (or at least not until much later when someone else does the research). Kill them before they've done anything and aren't basically Dr. Manhattan.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
When a game is incline from other shooters (not that hard to manage), but a decline from its two year old predecessor, is it incline or decline?
That's just one of the proofs dalekflay is an idiot.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have not read this thread, nor do I intend to but here are my impressions after having played the game : What a shame.

It does start out great. I will remember the first hour the most fondly ; it was spent looking at stuff in Columbia, the posteres, the newspapers headlines, listening to people talk. The art was indeed beautiful and I hoped the game would stay like that for the whole duration of the game. Hell, I een had read messages in a forum calling it "Not a FPS" "exploration based". Surely I was wrong about this being merely a corridor shooter !

Everything turned sour after the first gunfight. Goodness me, I am not sure what went wrong with the fighting mechanics but it felt incredibly off . The pacing was too fast, ennemies appear out of nowhere because of that rail system, everything is bloomy and you can hardly see, sometimes they shoot at you at an incredible distance, the handyman is incredibly annoying and that damn ghost near the end...

The game is great when it's not shooting at things. Sadly, it's half the game. This is a game that is actually more enjoyable in the easy mode because the only thing worth it is the ride ; see the environments, enjoy the story, it's the only thing that counts. The mindless violence distracts you of the actual beauty that the artists of Irrational have created.

The main fundamental flaw of the game is its own genre : Columbia and the story of Elizabeth and Booker shouldn't have been a FPS. It should have been either a first person adventure game or a RPG. Maybe something akin to Deus Ex. It should have focused more on exploration, dialog, and story. It should have known how to slow down the space of the action a bit more often ; it should have taken time to add depth to a story and a universe that was begging for it.

Instead, they went the easy way ; they focused on the action, they focused on the part that sucked and ignored the part that was actually good.

This is what is wrong with Mainstream high budget games. What irrationnal did was sadly the only way for them to break even financially ; because everyone is a fucking moron and they needed the CoD crowd appeal, so you can even hardly blame for this.

Once again, I do blame the players and their lack of education. Bioshock Infinite is a good game, even though the gameplay sucks and the plot is predictable, it is quite a good game. Sadly, it could have been an awesome game, a great game, a groundbreaking cult game. It won't be, because it was targeted at fucking morons.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The main fundamental flaw of the game is its own genre : Columbia and the story of Elizabeth and Booker shouldn't have been a FPS. It should have been either a first person adventure game or a RPG. Maybe something akin to Deus Ex. It should have focused more on exploration, dialog, and story. It should have known how to slow down the space of the action a bit more often ; it should have taken time to add depth to a story and a universe that was begging for it.

Yeah. I don't think I would want it to be a pure adventure game with no combat at all, but something more like a Deus Ex would have been amazing. The main difference between Infinite and the previous two Shock games Irrational made is that the world you're in is still alive, still kicking, and you have a story and constant dialogue within that world. It just doesn't work as a pure shooter with that story, even if they had opened the world up like the previous two.

It needed to be a Deus Ex style explore/story/RPG/shooter hybrid thing. You hit the nail on the head I feel. Instead it's even more of a straight shooter than Bioshock and very CoD like in its tunneling. They did this for money reasons surely, but I bet they would have made just as much if not more if they made it more than what it is.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Bioshock Infinite should be a good game (every fucking game should), but it's not, because it's shit. It would be good if it wasn't shit. News at 11.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom