Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why are you suddenly talking about innovation or how much Bioshock used them or even stealth? You can dispose of majority of enemies using ONLY chaos in the ranks, indirect fighting and the environment.
There is no way to use any sort of stealth or subtlety. Enemies instantly know where you are as soon as you fire a shot or use a Vigor. While sneaking is technically possible, enemy patrols are not set up in such a way to really allow for it. You can't take out one guy and not alert everyone else, or effectively lose enemy aggro and alertness, but this was possible in the original BioShock.

Some ways to handle enemies:
- chicken with sniper/carabine
- chicken with traps
- chicken abusing skylines
- possess and use the props provided in the arenas
- crowd control with vigor and finish with weapons + item effects
- cc and damage with vigors only
- melee using invulnerabilities/bonus damage from items and charge/undertow
For example the fight with the snipers in emporia which is quite a limited arena. You can shield and shoot them, you can tear a decoy and shoot them, you can tear a hook and get close, you can undertow all of them from cover and finish them off.
If you think that melee-focused is a valid strategy in this game... uh, yeah, you haven't played on hard mode have you? It is possible, but the game is not at all designed for this play-style and especially on harder difficulties you will get completely creamed. Furthermore since the gear upgrades you get are semi-random there is a good chance you won't be able to effectively utilize this play-style until quite a ways into the game (you don't get charge until at least 2/3 in).

Abuse of skylines is not really a play-style, but it is basically something that enemies have little to no resistance against. The fact that you can hook, jump, hook, jump back and forth on the same enemies while avoiding most damage is more an exploit than anything else. So I guess I'll buy that even if I think it'd get really boring really fast, and it's much less effective overall than just shooting dudes.

The idea that you are drawing a distinction between using crowd control vigors and then finishing with damage vigors, vs. crowd control vigors and finishing with guns, is kinda silly in my mind. It's like saying you can shoot someone and then melee them to death or just shoot them and skip melee entirely. And even with infusions and pickups you often don't have enough salts for it to be a permanent play-style anyway - since you can't carry salts with you you rely on Elizabeth's random number generator or whether the designers remembered to include a tear with extra salts in the environment somewhere

That's actually one of the biggest flaws of the game: it's structured like a chain of arenas carefully designed to allow varied gameplay. Which just gives the feeling you are in a theme park with carefuly arranged props not in a game world
That is something we are in agreeance with. Furthermore I think this colossally reduces the feeling that you do have lots of options in combat - because rather than figuring them out for yourself you are basically given a bunch of buttons to press (tears) that enable X, Y or Z, all on silver platters. By showing you the options you get the sense the game is more limited than it really is. It also means you often lack the choice of approaching combat encounters from different angles - a big strength of BioShock's combat was that you could decide the terms to engage the enemies on much more freely. In Infinite most of the time you are going to be walking into an area, ducking behind cover and running around in circles to regenerate your shields until it's safe to pop out again.

Also, you didn't cover the signifcant examples through the game, you mentioned some and all made me think you rushed through the game, that's how deep you "explored" them.
That's a fair point.

For example you can drag enemies in front of handymens (or kite the handymen to them and posses them) and run which makes the handymen switch targets to that enemy while you're free to do other stuff for a while. And the arguments are linked because you just said there's no way you can do that.
And all handymen + X fights are in carefully setup artificial arenas that allow lots of choices
There's probably some hyperbole in there that I can rectify.

I am getting the distinct sense that right now you are using possession as kind of a catch-all way of saying"there are choices!" Yeah, you can possess the Handyman (for like 2 seconds, and of course he does not suicide afterwards) or you can possess standard grunts as distractions. But you could do that, and more, in the original BioShock using the hacking system. Furthermore you had significant time to prepare for the challenging encounters; you could come up with a strategy to tackle a Big Daddy or Little Sister in advance, lay your traps and tripwires, etc. In Infinite, most of the time you are going to be, as I said, entering into a combat arena not knowing what to expect and then running around in circles kiting as you search for resources to use your vigors and turning to shoot at enemies when you have a second free.

Note that a lot of this stuff probably also applies more on hard mode. I regret playing the game that way. I'm going through Infinite again right now and it is a far more pleasant experience on the normal difficulty because it feels like they actually balanced the game with this in mind, instead of simply inflating enemy health bars by 2-3x. Many of the tactics available are more reasonable because you won't use all your salts just denting a boss's health bar by 10%, and the minor enemies don't require a full clip each to take down.

Then you just suck at it.
Don't be so sure. The build I used relied mostly on guns because they were, in my experience, the most effective way of dealing with enemies. Specifically I found that, on hard mode, using vigors was rather frustrating because you ran out of salts much too fast. Comparatively, using guns is much more economical and ammo is much more common to come across. You also get weapon upgrades faster, which avoids the problem of enemy health bloat more readily.

I used every vigor at least during one or two encounters, and kept going back to my stand-bys because they were simply much more effective on the difficulty level I was playing on. It was a late-game realization that the sniper rifle was so effective however - I used the volley gun and RPG quite a bit, along with the carbine, but I started using the sniper rifle in a distance encounter and realized it was capable of bypassing the bloated health bars of enemies much, much more easily than anything else, and could take out heavy enemies very fast as well. Nothing else could compare to it, not so much for raw damage output, but for thinning enemy numbers quickly.

The part where you said the game forces you to use RPG/VG/Sniper is wrong because with the exception of the first gun all the weapons are good (or useless) depending on playstyle. You can complement weapons with vigors/items and all of them work. And VG isn't made redundant by CC vigors, they make it better since you can setup the targets for it.
I said that all weapons are effective. I don't think they are equally effective, though. The late game combat arenas, again on hard mode, have so much incoming damage that it is almost impossible to close the distance with enemies. That's why you need to have a long-range weapon and a short-range weapon, and for my money the machine gun and sniper rifle did a better job than anything. You are forced to prioritize because if you drop a weapon there's no guarantee you can get it back until several levels later, and the two-gun limit means that everything redundant kind of has to go if you want to maintain your effectiveness. Maybe it's my min-max attitude showing.

Even if you take all this into account, and yes there probably are flaws in my analysis above (which I can rectify later), it still doesn't really change that Infinite has dumbed down combat compared to the original BioShock (and BioShock 2, which had better combat than both games). That's still not exactly something worth praising.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished watching my friend complete the game and want to say Final Fantasy 8 had a better time-paradoxical plot.
:codexisfor:

xilo3z

Educated
What do you mean, Jaesun?

To give you more info - what VGCharts do is call up game stores in the major hotspots of the world and ask them how many copies they moved. Just literally quick surveys - call up Gamestop in NY - "How many copies of X have you sold today" then Gamestop in Los Angelas, same thing. After they collect data from like 15 or so places, then they extrapolate global trends and data from that. Think of it like this - call up Gamestops, get sales data, call more numerous places, average it, then mulitply it by how many stores there are in world with various higher weightings to high market stores. That is their "sales" data. That is their "industry/weekly/monthly prediction" data... And yes - it has been proven wrong many times, but fan boys love them some graphs of their favorite games doing so well for some reason. I have seen so many fights break out on internet forums based on VGChart data its insane. Like what Jaesun said - Sales data is available on publicly traded companies, but that has this horrible thing called verification, validation and all that, which can take numerous months ya know. VGChart says fuck that noise we will just create it now.

Oh and there was a big scandal because VGcharts goes back and fixes all their sales data when the real stuff from NPD to make it look like their charts have always been on the mark.

abija

Prophet
There is no way to use any sort of stealth or subtlety. Enemies instantly know where you are as soon as you fire a shot or use a Vigor. While sneaking is technically possible, enemy patrols are not set up in such a way to really allow for it. You can't take out one guy and not alert everyone else, or effectively lose enemy aggro and alertness, but this was possible in the original BioShock.
Except stealth has NOTHING to do with the part I quoted and I said it's really wrong. You just brought stealth out of nowhere in arguments for some reason.

If you think that melee-focused is a valid strategy in this game... uh, yeah, you haven't played on hard mode have you? It is possible, but the game is not at all designed for this play-style and especially on harder difficulties you will get completely creamed. Furthermore since the gear upgrades you get are semi-random there is a good chance you won't be able to effectively utilize this play-style until quite a ways into the game (you don't get charge until at least 2/3 in).
I played on 1999 and yes you need the items. No clue if it's balanced so you can be 100% melee from the start but when I got charge I had more than enough items to play around with it.

Abuse of skylines is not really a play-style, but it is basically something that enemies have little to no resistance against. The fact that you can hook, jump, hook, jump back and forth on the same enemies while avoiding most damage is more an exploit than anything else. So I guess I'll buy that even if I think it'd get really boring really fast, and it's much less effective overall than just shooting dudes.
Unlike sniping from cover, constantly disabling enemies, going invulnerable in close range or making enemies kill themselves?

The idea that you are drawing a distinction between using crowd control vigors and then finishing with damage vigors, vs. crowd control vigors and finishing with guns, is kinda silly in my mind.It's like saying you can shoot someone and then melee them to death or just shoot them and skip melee entirely. And even with infusions and pickups you often don't have enough salts for it to be a permanent play-style anyway - since you can't carry salts with you you rely on Elizabeth's random number generator or whether the designers remembered to include a tear with extra salts in the environment somewhere
It's a distinction you make when choosing your upgrades. Doubt you are able to do both optimally at least in 1999 mode. Uprgaded salts and especially the vigor upgrades make it possible to use mostly vigors. And they remembered to put salts in the environment, those alternate universes must be inhabited by fucking packrats.

Furthermore I think this colossally reduces the feeling that you do have lots of options in combat - because rather than figuring them out for yourself you are basically given a bunch of buttons to press (tears) that enable X, Y or Z, all on silver platters. By showing you the options you get the sense the game is more limited than it really is. It also means you often lack the choice of approaching combat encounters from different angles - a big strength of BioShock's combat was that you could decide the terms to engage the enemies on much more freely.
I don't agree with that. It is SHIT design, but that doesn't limit your options. You aren't forced to engage in a very specific way. Maybe if you go like "oh the designers really want me to do this or that or the other, SCREW THEM".

I said that all weapons are effective. I don't think they are equally effective, though. The late game combat arenas, again on hard mode, have so much incoming damage that it is almost impossible to close the distance with enemies.
That's why you need to have a long-range weapon and a short-range weapon
If the game has a cheat/trainer system and you still have it installed, reload a fight towards end and check out upgraded undertow.
From what you write you didn't really give vigors (especially their upgrades) enough chance.

MapMan

Arcane
There's a lot of discussion about plot and what not. Looks like we have a new winner in terms of the best story in an RPG ever.

a lot of people shouting "that's retarded" to a whole lot of people shouting "that's not retarded because i like it even if i don't understand it" sounds hardly as a discussion.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What I find most intriguing about this whole thing is how people who enjoyed the game seem to get angry at those who thought it was shit. Meanwhile, many of us others just shitpost about the game to see people get angry over it.

Luzur

Good Sir
What I find most intriguing about this whole thing is how people who enjoyed the game seem to get angry at those who thought it was shit. Meanwhile, many of us others just shitpost about the game to see people get angry over it.

the circle of life.

aris

Arcane

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I ask you once again, as I asked Dalekflay, why should I give a fuck what some random developer thinks of the game? :?

"Oh no, the Wasteland 2 dev thinks it's a good game, time to turn green and smash shit to smithereens."

Bioshock Infinite is still a shit game, no matter who thinks what about it. It's not even really a game. I fired up Bioshock 2 again today and the gameplay is miles ahead of Infinite, which should be saying a lot as Bioshock 1 and 2 were essentially dumbed down versions of SS2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

From my perspective some people are amusingly obsessed with this game being bad and I'm simply saying "hey it's alright" at my convenience.

aris

Arcane
Bioshock was a game that couldn't quite decide whether it wanted to be a FPRPG like SS2 or an FPS and was fairly lousy at both. B:I, made away with all such pretenses, and made it into a pure FPS. In terms of pure shooter gameplay mechanics and gunplay, it is superior to both Bioshock 1 and 2, which isn't necessarily saying a lot, since both are bad with respect to this. They also made away with all those silly and tedious hacking mini games, which you had to use pretty much all the time because you couldn't walk 5 meter without encountering a security camera, rocket sentry, machine gun sentry or a combination of all three.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So you mean them turning it into a shooter so tedious that the only game that rivals it is CoD, is actually a good thing?

Because I don't know about you, but the gameplay in B:I felt like watching paint dry, only unlike watching paint dry, you didn't have anything to show for it afterwards.

Declining from a decline game cannot really be considered incline, no matter which way you try to spin it. Decline + decline = decline.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Liking Bioshock Infinite because you pirated, borrowed from someone, someone gave to you as a gift or you manage to get it at a sale for a big discount isn't a problem because: Hey, free stuff, why not? You are bored and don't have nothing better to do. But giving $60,00 dollars to 2k for this mediocre game is just plain wrong. Lavine was so lazy with this game, how can you try to copy another popamole game you made (Bioshock 1) and fail at it?

Alot of game journalists ignore the gameplay(it is shit and they know it so they only mention it briefly without mentioning the issues) but say the setting is awesome. Really? Comstock is just a wannabe Andrew Ryan, that speak only fundamentalist, racism and nacionalist cliches for the most part. The characters doesn't have believable motivations, that crazy dude on Hall of Heroes was the worst. The story of columbia doesn't make sense, how the city float? It is quantum magic. When you are not fighting, you can hear the conversations of the civillians and it is a coincidence how many of them speak racist/fundamentalist nonsense exactly while you are passing nearby on artificial conversations (Dirty irish, those potato eaters:lol:). I guess that forcing the THIS IS RACISM!!!! manipulative scenes all the time is enough to score a few extra score points with ignorant gaming journalists that didn't read a single book in their lives to know that slavery and racism are way more complex problems than the manipulative bullshit the game shows all the time. The leader of the Vox Populi is just boring, oppression, revolutionary cliche machine without any charisma. How this game gets so much applause by this superficial, manipulative, pretentious, cliche way of discussing fundamentalist, nacionalism and racism issues? Boy, everything seems so fake, the characters, civillians, the city. Where is my IMMERSSIUM?:lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bioshock was a game that couldn't quite decide whether it wanted to be a FPRPG like SS2 or an FPS and was fairly lousy at both. B:I, made away with all such pretenses, and made it into a pure mediocre CoD like FPS. In terms of pure shooter gameplay mechanics and gunplay, it is superior to both Bioshock 1 and 2, which isn't necessarily saying a lot, since both are bad with respect to this. They also made away with all those silly and tedious hacking mini games and didn't added anything better in place, which you had to use pretty much all the time because you couldn't walk 5 meter without encountering a security camera, rocket sentry, machine gun sentry or a combination of all three ( I just wanted to walk arround without problems watching the pretty graphics without being disturbed).

Now it is fixed.

Fully upgraded, the Hand Cannon and Sniper Rifle did pretty much everything I wanted when combined with Possession and Return to Sender. Only time I found anything else useful was Murder of Crows to distract Handymen.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Did they ever explain where Columbia came from? How Comstock got to where he was, etc?
Did they ever explain any of the mutated peoples, etc?

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Well, pretty much. It's all science magic from the Lutesces.
That and Levine's ego is the only reason you go to Rapture at the end. Why are there Plasmids in the game? Oh, well, they stole them from the other game, I mean, dimension. I'm still not sure how any of this led to Handymen, but nevermind, it's technology, shhhhhh.

Cassidy

Arcane
Wait a minute. A farce, recycling shit, not caring "as long as it's entertaining" and super mega plot twists? Game industry's M. Night Shyamalan spotted.

This is very offensive towards M. Night Shyamalan. At least the shit he recycles is better than this and you are not forced to play crappy minigames and popamole to watch it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom