Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware is immortal

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Apart from that, is there really anything in ME:A that can be considered woke?
There's this:

https://twitter.com/lonelytiefling/status/843808789858045952

Personally, I thought Andromeda, probably due to its chaotic production cycle, was slightly less woke than Inquisition when they were really trying. However, the conversation posted on this tweet is interesting because it is one of the few in the game that has a cutscene and not a camera hanging over the characters. It was obviously very important...

Kiste

Augur
Personally, I thought Andromeda, probably due to its chaotic production cycle, was slightly less woke than Inquisition when they were really trying. However, the conversation posted on this tweet is interesting because it is one of the few in the game that has a cutscene and not a camera hanging over the characters. It was obviously very important...

DA:I had:
  • Dorian gay conversion therapy questline
  • Ride the Bull romance, including serious finger-wagging on BDSM consent and safety
  • A sit down with Krem and Hissard for a lecture on transgenderism
  • Retconning the Qunari from a society based on an ultra-strict sex caste system to a race of TRAs who are totally cool with the trans
ME:A had:
  • A stupid trans NPC (Hainly Adams) that IIRC only had a few lines of dialogue and nothing else
  • A background conversation between two NPCs you could overhear that essentially reconned the Asari from all female to non-binary with prefered pronouns but that could be easily missed.
DA:I was WAY more woke than Andromeda. Between the two games, I vastly prefer Andromeda. It still wasn't good because it just felt less interesting than what came before in the ME universe. It was all very safe and unoffensive and bland. I didn't care for any of the conflicts in ME:A, or for the main story, and the new alien race looked like weird foreskin monsters... but I don't hate it like I hate DA:I.

ind33d

Learned
Apart from that, is there really anything in ME:A that can be considered woke?
There's this:

https://twitter.com/lonelytiefling/status/843808789858045952

andromeda was trying procedurally generated planets in exactly the same way starfield was but mass effect gave up at the last minute

9ted6

Educated

• Ride the Bull romance, including serious finger-wagging on BDSM consent and safety
  • Retconning the Qunari from a society based on an ultra-strict sex caste system to a race of TRAs who are totally cool with the trans
  • A stupid trans NPC (Hainly Adams) that IIRC only had a few lines of dialogue and nothing else
  • A background conversation between two NPCs you could overhear that essentially reconned the Asari from all female to non-binary with prefered pronouns but that could be easily missed.
DA:I was WAY more woke than Andromeda. Between the two games, I vastly prefer Andromeda. It still wasn't good because it just felt less interesting than what came before in the ME universe. It was all very safe and unoffensive and bland. I didn't care for any of the conflicts in ME:A, or for the main story, and the new alien race looked like weird foreskin monsters... but I don't hate it like I hate DA:I.
Andromeda was famous for being hated by woke gamers hated for not being woke enough.

Kiste

Augur
Andromeda was famous for being hated by woke gamers hated for not being woke enough.

It was? How so? The only thing I can vaguely remember that might qualify as wokie outrage was the Cora Harper romance option. Some idiots felt she was "lesbian coded", so the fact that she was an exclusively heterosexual romance option supposedly amounted to "queer baiting".

There's another point I forgot to add to my ME:A woke list: like in ME2, again no straight white male romance option for the female main character, unless you count Reyes as such, who is a dark skinned Latino. The white male romance option (Gil Brodie) is a strict poofter, naturally.

Last edited:

Iucounu

Educated
I recall half of the main characters in ME:A were explicitly gay or bisexual (that is, you didn't have to "romance" them to find out, but I may have read about online as well). All women were strong (of course), while many male(?) Krogan spoke with neutered, effeminate voices.

Much of the dialog involved the challenges of raising children or younger siblings, but the female merc also dreamed of creating a rose garden on an alien planet. Not sure if that qualifies as wokeism, it sounded more like the chit-chat between mothers in a café than intergalactic explorers.

Falksi

Arcane

DA:I was just fucking vile.

Every other conversation was about some degenerate homo act. I don't think I've ever fantasized about murdering a set of developers as much as I have after playing the Satanic shite that was DA:I.

Death to Bioware.

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated

It was? How so? The only thing I can vaguely remember that might qualify as wokie outrage was the Cora Harper romance option. Some idiots felt she was "lesbian coded", so the fact that she was an exclusively heterosexual romance option supposedly amounted to "queer baiting".
That was pretty much it but it was a pretty big reaction. I think the dipshits over at ResetEra and Gamingcirlcejerk were calling for its boycott over the notlesbian companion and calling one of the other characters transphobic or something. You can't appease people who live off being upset.

Kiste

Augur
I recall half of the main characters in ME:A were explicitly gay or bisexual (that is, you didn't have to "romance" them to find out, but I may have read about online as well).

That wasn't exclusive to ME:A, it goes back as far as ME1 and DA:O. There are basically 1-3 hetero choices for both sexes, 1-3 homo choices for both sexes and then a number of bisexuals. I don't think there was too much of a difference in how they communicated their "interests".

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That wasn't exclusive to ME:A, it goes back as far as ME1
One of the funniest parts of Saints Row IV was how everyone on the space ship would have sex with the protagonist if the protagonist merely asked, which was an obvious lampooning of Mass Effect's NPCs basically having no personal tastes or preferences of their own. It's really piss poor to claim to have fleshed out characters when those characters will just hop in to bed with the player no matter what choices the player makes in character creation.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I recall half of the main characters in ME:A were explicitly gay or bisexual (that is, you didn't have to "romance" them to find out, but I may have read about online as well).

That wasn't exclusive to ME:A, it goes back as far as ME1 and DA:O. There are basically 1-3 hetero choices for both sexes, 1-3 homo choices for both sexes and then a number of bisexuals. I don't think there was too much of a difference in how they communicated their "interests".
This just isn't true. ME1 had only straight characters + 1 bisexual (Liara) to romance.

DA:O had 2 straight characters and 2 bi characters (the hedonist degens) to romance.

There was not a single gay companion/romance in that game.

Kiste

Augur
This just isn't true. ME1 had only straight characters + 1 bisexual (Liara) to romance.

DA:O had 2 straight characters and 2 bi characters (the hedonist degens) to romance.

You're right. The exclusively homo started in ME3.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

You're right. The exclusively homo started in ME3.

I hated this character, probably even more than this Chud:

Players were focused on criticizing the ending as if the rest of the game was good. Did no one notice how badly Shepard ran during the prologue? How limited is this game to small arenas? How infantile and incoherent is the script?

I ask rhetorically. After all, we all know that most people consider ME to be a coherent, perfectly conducted trilogy for adult players.

Here's some more kerosene for that fire:

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1774480106385187083

"Today is #TransgenderDayOfVisibility. Trans people have always been a part of our worlds; we're proud to support them both within our games and in real life."

No rainbow logo? I see that even Canadians are tired of 24/7 activism.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Biowhore are the ones who came up with this lazy ass player sexual system, aren't they?

That was what made BG3 utterly deranged. The fact gaining influence with your followers automatically triggered sexual advances which means if you played male all the male NPCs were instantly faggots and vise versa if you played female, which was beyond stupid.

Kiste

Augur
Biowhore are the ones who came up with this lazy ass player sexual system, aren't they?

That was what made BG3 utterly deranged. The fact gaining influence with your followers automatically triggered sexual advances which means if you played male all the male NPCs were instantly faggots and vise versa if you played female, which was beyond stupid.

The BG3 character creator allows you to choose "body type", genitalia and pronouns fully independent from each other.

Choose the female body type, attach a penis to it und use the they/them pronouns and you will create a non-binary futa. This effectively makes all the companions non-gay because you can match every romance option heterosexually.

Problem solved.

:positive:

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister

Well, DA:I could be more woke but ME:A had way more shit than you listed. Right at the start we have the stoic father figure dying, basically as an allegory to patriarchy. His children written quite differently, not being stoic for sure. Then we meet a female head of the station and almost all human leaders are females iirc. Then remember the absolute cringe Krogan scene where the female beat the shit out of the male one while preaching. Then obviously you have the atypical nigger companion.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Right at the start we have the stoic father figure dying, basically as an allegory to patriarchy. His children written quite differently, not being stoic for sure.

That's not woke. That's millennial writing. Milenialism is reason why people became woke, but it is still a different kind of cancer.

Then we meet a female head of the station and almost all human leaders are females iirc. Then remember the absolute cringe Krogan scene where the female beat the shit out of the male one while preaching.

Sadly, this is standard now.

Then obviously you have the atypical nigger companion.

I needed a moment to think about what character you are talking about. He was so colorful....

115_MEA.0.jpg

Elttharion

Learned

It is no surprise that the game/franchise were one of the lead writers is a flaming faggot is way woker than the other game/franchise. Andromeda also cut gay romance with one of the companions before release and the homos were furious about it. Bioware later release a patch to restore the cut content. They also complained that the trannie character revealed his real name when you met him.

Dragon age always had more faggotry than Mass Effect if you compare the main trilogies. That is probably partially because of Gaider and partially because fantasy tends to attracts more homos and fags than sci fi, or at least it did when the games launched, so Biowore tried to cater to 'their audience'. Mass Effect always had much more focus on hot lesbian sex while DA had gay males since the first game, both as romance options and NPCs.

Dont get me wrong, Andromeda was woke too and by ME3 the series was already pretty woke too but Dragon Age was always much worse in that regard. Think of it this way, ME had a linear increase in wokeness while in Dragon Age's case the increase was exponential with each game.

Iucounu

Educated
This was worse than I thought: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Gil_Brodie#Romance

"Sometime later, Gil comes to Ryder with news that Jill wants to have a baby of her own and has asked him to be the father with the intention that she will co-parent along with Gil and Ryder as the baby's dads. The Pathfinder can either support this or not."

La vie sexuelle

Learned
This was worse than I thought: https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Gil_Brodie#Romance

"Sometime later, Gil comes to Ryder with news that Jill wants to have a baby of her own and has asked him to be the father with the intention that she will co-parent along with Gil and Ryder as the baby's dads. The Pathfinder can either support this or not."

When we played Andromeda for the first and last time, I was like, "Okay, how far have they gone with this woke?", so I supported Gil in everything. Ultimately, he, the child's biological father, and the child's biological mother intend to raise the child together. It's as if the woke scale had ended and they returned to tradition.

Iucounu

Educated
It's as if the woke scale had ended and they returned to tradition.
That reminded me of feminist lunatic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Dworkin

Although Dworkin publicly wrote, "I love John with my heart and soul,"[61] and Stoltenberg described Dworkin as "the love of my life,"[62] she continued to publicly identify herself as lesbian, and he as gay. Stoltenberg, recounting the perplexity that their relationship seemed to cause people in the press, summarized the relationship by saying, "So I state only the simplest facts publicly: yes, Andrea and I live together and love each other and we are each other's life partner, and yes we are both out."​

La vie sexuelle

Learned
That reminded me of feminist lunatic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Dworkin

Although Dworkin publicly wrote, "I love John with my heart and soul,"[61] and Stoltenberg described Dworkin as "the love of my life,"[62] she continued to publicly identify herself as lesbian, and he as gay. Stoltenberg, recounting the perplexity that their relationship seemed to cause people in the press, summarized the relationship by saying, "So I state only the simplest facts publicly: yes, Andrea and I live together and love each other and we are each other's life partner, and yes we are both out."​

Heh, I used to often confuse her with Ronald Dworkin, different cup of schizo.

About her, book, Intercourse from wiki. Literary mother of world we live on:

In Intercourse, Dworkin extended her earlier analysis of pornography to a discussion of heterosexual intercourse itself. In works such as Woman Hating (1974) and Pornography: Men Possessing Women (1981), Dworkin had argued that pornography (this includes erotic literature) in patriarchal societies consistently eroticized women's sexual subordination to men, and often overt acts of exploitation or violence. In Intercourse, she went on to argue that that sort of sexual subordination was central to men and women's experiences of sexual intercourse in a male supremacist society, and reinforced throughout mainstream culture, including not only pornography but also in classic works of male-centric literature.

Extensively discussing works such as The Kreutzer Sonata (1889), Madame Bovary (1856), and Dracula (1897), and citing from religious texts, legal commentary, and pornography, Dworkin argued that the depictions of intercourse in mainstream art and culture consistently emphasized heterosexual intercourse as the only or the most genuine form of "real" sex; that they portrayed intercourse in violent or invasive terms; that they portrayed the violence or invasiveness as central to its eroticism; and that they often united it with male contempt for, revulsion towards, or even murder of the "carnal" woman. She argued that this kind of depiction enforced a male-centric and coercive view of sexuality, and that, when the cultural attitudes combine with the material conditions of women's lives in a sexist society, the experience of heterosexual intercourse itself becomes a central part of men's subordination of women, experienced as a form of "occupation"[2] that is nevertheless expected to be pleasurable for women and to define their very status as women.: 122–124 

In the 1998 book, Without Apology: Andrea Dworkin's Art and Politics, in chapter 6, titled "Intercourse: An Institution of Male Power", author Cindy Jenefsky states, "As in her analysis of pornography's sexual subordination, the key to understanding Dworkin's analysis of sexual intercourse rests on recognizing how she integrates the individual act of sexual intercourse within its larger social context. She produces a materialist analysis that examines sexual intercourse as an institutionalized practice."[3]

Iucounu

Educated

Heh, I used to often confuse her with Ronald Dworkin, different cup of schizo.

About her, book, Intercourse from wiki. Literary mother of world we live on:

In Intercourse, Dworkin extended her earlier analysis of pornography to a discussion of heterosexual intercourse itself. In works such as Woman Hating (1974) and Pornography: Men Possessing Women (1981), Dworkin had argued that pornography (this includes erotic literature) in patriarchal societies consistently eroticized women's sexual subordination to men, and often overt acts of exploitation or violence. In Intercourse, she went on to argue that that sort of sexual subordination was central to men and women's experiences of sexual intercourse in a male supremacist society, and reinforced throughout mainstream culture, including not only pornography but also in classic works of male-centric literature.

Extensively discussing works such as The Kreutzer Sonata (1889), Madame Bovary (1856), and Dracula (1897), and citing from religious texts, legal commentary, and pornography, Dworkin argued that the depictions of intercourse in mainstream art and culture consistently emphasized heterosexual intercourse as the only or the most genuine form of "real" sex; that they portrayed intercourse in violent or invasive terms; that they portrayed the violence or invasiveness as central to its eroticism; and that they often united it with male contempt for, revulsion towards, or even murder of the "carnal" woman. She argued that this kind of depiction enforced a male-centric and coercive view of sexuality, and that, when the cultural attitudes combine with the material conditions of women's lives in a sexist society, the experience of heterosexual intercourse itself becomes a central part of men's subordination of women, experienced as a form of "occupation"[2] that is nevertheless expected to be pleasurable for women and to define their very status as women.: 122–124 

In the 1998 book, Without Apology: Andrea Dworkin's Art and Politics, in chapter 6, titled "Intercourse: An Institution of Male Power", author Cindy Jenefsky states, "As in her analysis of pornography's sexual subordination, the key to understanding Dworkin's analysis of sexual intercourse rests on recognizing how she integrates the individual act of sexual intercourse within its larger social context. She produces a materialist analysis that examines sexual intercourse as an institutionalized practice."[3]
Andrea's own life events sound like the imaginations of an attention seeker:

* Molested in a cinema as a child.
* Sent to women's prison as a young woman, where the "internal examination" made her bleed for days afterwards.
* In the Netherlands, her husband abused her severely, forcing her to flee and work as prostitute to support herself.
* Agreed to smuggle a briefcase of heroin into the US in order to pay for plane ticket, but in the end the drug dealers gave her the money for free!
* Claimed to have been drug-raped in a hotel room, which was (finally) "widely disbelieved" by her feminist collegues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom