Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Bioware Meltdown Watch - The Burning of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, once again, BIO IS RETARDED!
What does that make these guys?
:balance::hearnoevil:

Note- Also, we need a Bethesda speak no evil emote.

Moribund

A droglike
I dont think those two are dumb at all, more like evil geniuses. They figured out how to pander to the masses and really give them what they want. My only bitterness is it's not what I want, but neither is anything Steven Spielberg makes but he's still a genius at making entertainment for the masses.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
All I want to know is:

* Is it anything like KOTOR1?

and

* Is single player worth playing for free if you consider time being as valuable as money?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is it anything like KOTOR1?
KOTOR is a playable RPG without grind and "bring me 20 poison glands" quests which sometimes are necessary in SWTOR, because underleveled character won't be able to beat some of the plot points.

Is single player worth playing for free if you consider time being as valuable as money?
If you want to enjoy SWTOR story and pass the grind, you need to have beer, intimidation and good friend on your side. If any of these components are lacking, you'd be best to retreat.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Good to know, think I'll pass. Oh poor Bioware...you can't even entice me with free gifts.

Deleted member 7219

They've announced the first expansion to SWTOR.

http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-rhp-004

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Rise of the Hutt Cartel

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel
  • Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
  • Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
  • The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
  • Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!

Hutts. I couldn't think they could make the storyline any more boring. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I had a pretty good time with SWTOR since I was completely wasted and played it almost entirely with a friend. Getting to see two class stories at once was pretty cool and the other quests were fun since I was light and he was dark. It would be way to grindy and dull to play through solo though. Yes, this means the F2P model is pretty much worthless as well, not to mention having only two hotbars would completely make the game suck ass after level 20 or so.

Matt7895

:what:

That looks terrible!

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, I had a pretty good time with SWTOR since I was completely wasted and played it almost entirely with a friend. Getting to see two class stories at once was pretty cool and the other quests were fun since I was light and he was dark. It would be way to grindy and dull to play through solo though. Yes, this means the F2P model is pretty much worthless as well, not to mention having only two hotbars would completely make the game suck ass after level 20 or so.

I'd agree with this. None of my actual friends would touch an MMO with a 10ft barge pole, but I met up with another player back during the early access period last December and we levelled together from about lv 25 until the end of the game. Made the generic planet quests go quickly.

I might have been tempted to come back to SWTOR if the expansion was something huge, impressive and C&C heavy. I doubt this will have even one of those.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing more horrible than f2p model by BiowEAre is the HeroEngine. If Bethesda is really thinking about using this one, than it will be a flop a gigantic proportions. The crashes, fps reduction, clumsiness, horrible camera, and many more. It's not good for a single player game.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've been trying this out with my housemate. He's playing a Sith Marauder and I'm playing a Sith Sorceror. The questing is pretty awful so unless you got a friend to help with it, pass. Seeing two class/story quests simultaneously is nice - not sure if I could stomach the fairly long pauses between class quests otherwise.

The F2P limits are godawful. Including such basics as hiding the head slot item - nope, you have to pay for that. And having more than 2 quickbars. You can only do 4 PvP-fights a week, 3 Space missions a week and 4 Group instances a week. Unlike the article states, you are not locked out of all quest rewards - just part of them. You don't have access to bank either and inventory is pretty limited.

I have met players who claim they have just subscribed to get rid of all the constraints but I would be surprised if they continued paying after that one month. And many old-hands have stated how nice it is to actually have players running around, though dunno what's the scene like at 50, since F2P-players are useless at that level.

almondblight

Arcane
The existing queue times for Flashpoints (group dungeons) and Warzones (PvP battlegrounds) were tediously long, and it was exceptionally difficult to find people to do world boss raids or create new Ops (raid dungeons) groups.

Haven't really been paying much attention to MMORPG's, but it looks like most of them are still trying to copy WoW?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, although this trend is slowly dying out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few decent sandboxes in 2 or 3 years time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Words are insufficient to convey the tremendous amount of smug I've been experiencing as this ill-conceived abortion crashes and burns. The doctors even got their feelings hurt and ragequit... I hadn't dared hope for SWTOR to fail this spectacularly.

If I weren't thinking of Hamburger Helper just now, I'd have an erection just contemplating this entire delicious situation.

Viperswhip

Novice
Tough to be too critical of something that is free, but yep, they cocked it up. Well, I have never played Lotro on a free to play account, but I have tried to play with those that did and wow, it sucks. That's the only ftp game I have played but I am always willing to shell out 9.99/month for a decent gaming experience.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Words are insufficient to convey the tremendous amount of smug I've been experiencing as this ill-conceived abortion crashes and burns. The doctors even got their feelings hurt and ragequit... I hadn't dared hope for SWTOR to fail this spectacularly.

If I weren't thinking of Hamburger Helper just now, I'd have an erection just contemplating this entire delicious situation.

They didn't ragequit. There was a big debate about this when it first happened, and on these forums, we decided they got canned and shipped the fuck out to market for their shit performance.

waywardOne

Arcane
Sometimes I think things I mean to post and never do. This is one of those things.

I don't think they "quit" or were fired. I think they've planned for years to sail out on an assumed high note after SWTOR, likely with a huge company party and shit. DA2 might've given them a heads up, and ME3 confirmed it. No party, but still the exit.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Sometimes I think things I mean to post and never do. This is one of those things.

I don't think they "quit" or were fired. I think they've planned for years to sail out on an assumed high note after SWTOR, likely with a huge company party and shit. DA2 might've given them a heads up, and ME3 confirmed it. No party, but still the exit.

Uhm , yeah that's what I thought as well, these guys weren't even responsible for designing the game nor coding - they're hardly in any position to claim credit nor take blame for any dubious decision that TOR went through or that one-man written ending for ME3.

OK, it might have put a dampener on their exit - but I think they've been aiming to get out for quite some time, you hardly hear from them hyping the new Bio-games anymore. It's mostly David Gaider, or whoever is in charge of the project that acts as a 'figurehead.'

Seeing the TOR F2P Fiasco - this is probably another one of those 'not knowing what sells your game in the first game'
After playing Guild wars 2 with 10 slot hotbar - I wonder what sort of complexity or variety in gameplay TOR will offen with more than 20 slots needed for skill activations.
I guess when Xmas holidays start I can give the F2P a look.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
" and you don't mind not getting any quest rewards (you have to subscribe for those)"

ngbbs452d5a5892d12.gif

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah the mind boggles, I'm just going to go in and see what kind of train wreck I'm in for. :lol:

Norfleet

I took one look at the F2P matrix and its crippleware and decided to stay the hell AWAY.

Since I don't believe in improvement, being that improvement is contraindicated by the Laws of Thermodynamics, that's the best it's ever going to be and it's all downhill from there. Entropy always increases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom