Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware's no-homosexuality rule in RPGs

Subhuman

Liturgist
As a gay man, this thread offends me.

Fez

Erudite
He'll be coming for you, next! BEEEEWARE! OHIMYGOSH.

chaedwards

Liturgist
Yes it is Exitium, because it offends my masculinity, which is so fragile that anything reeking of homosexuality causes it to shatter on the floor. How can I stand up straight as a man when others of my sex are loving each other? We all know that the only correct ways for real men to interact are to

1. Hit each other
2. Compete with each other (this generally leads to 1)
3. Sleep with each others girlfriends (although this is probably a form of 2, and leads to 1)

The reason that the Internet is such a hit with nerds like us is that it means that we can indulge in no.2 without it leading to no.1.

Oh, and how many of you rampant males have actually had another man hit on you seriously? I'm not convinced it actually happens that often.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
PennyAnte said:
crpgnut said:
If a faggot hit on me in real life, I'd hurt them very badly...
I suppose if a very unattractive woman hits on you, you'd beat the shit out of her too, huh?

Hell yeah, I would. That's a BAD fat chick! BAD! And it's a fair fight, too, because the fat chicks have the size advantage!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
chaedwards said:
how many of you rampant males have actually had another man hit on you seriously? I'm not convinced it actually happens that often.
I have, a couple of times (night clubs etc). It didn't help that the work-mates I was out with had them as flat-mates.
But when they know yer not interested, well, they fuck off. Especially when a 6 foot tall 100 kilo fella with a wedding ring* sez they are not interested. And then they inform their mates you are not.
And then there is peace. And drinkin.

Fuck, it's not like the fuckers want trouble.

*Okay, I'm not actually married.But I've been engaged for 7 years. Fuck em, its very similar.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Just out of curiosity, Penny, are you male or female?
Fuck it.

S/he.

Yes, really. No phone calls or PMs please.

Why come out with that? So I can type consistently with my thoughts from now on. And before anyone asks for a clarification, I started as a d00d and am ending with b00bs, alright? Writing from a gender pigeonhole gets difficult for someone like me over time. I just want things to be clear on the 'boards.

Now that's over with, attitudes like 'nut's really anger me. Even if he's just a troll. Even if it's just for effect. Sexual violence is NEVER appropriate. Homophobic beatings, violence against women, rape, it's so prevalent. And 'nut jokes around. Or is serious. Or is just a teenage idiot. Who cares?

And if by:

crpgnut said:
I did find it funny that you called me a male anatomy related bad name.
You partly meant that being called a prick ironically confirmed your manliness, fuck off. An asshole is part of male anatomy too. And you're just a doofus if you're faulting me for using vulgar terms when you advocate sexual violence.

I'm married. Plenty of people have spouses and kids, including gay people. And everyone has relatives. We're human beings. Have a little freaking respect for that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bottom line is whether you like it or not JE covers this. MM, MF, FF, MFF. It's all there for our perverted pleasure..

And, B00BIES!

Quigs

Magister
I think its funny that not finding homosexuality to be normal, means you are a "gay basher", when the act is as natural as beastialty.

As far as in games? Screw it. Games are about making money. No quality game could make its money back by targeting only a gay audience.

Maybe the option could be available, but id hate to see good parts of the game cut out so that someones character could screw the pirate captain.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"what about FMM"

Those who want that are out of luck. I haven't experience this stuff myself as I'm persualing the usual MF relationship as a male; but later on I'll try some others.; but that's what BIO says are possible in the game...

obediah

Erudite
Quigs said:
I think its funny that not finding homosexuality to be normal, means you are a "gay basher", when the act is as natural as beastialty.

As far as in games? Screw it. Games are about making money. No quality game could make its money back by targeting only a gay audience.

Maybe the option could be available, but id hate to see good parts of the game cut out so that someones character could screw the pirate captain.

Gay men don't have time for video games. The only reason they have computers is so the can log on to AOL and find some one to have sex with anytime of day. A gay friend and I have a running joke, where we convert any length to inches, multiply by 6 and call it "AOL inches".

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Quigs said:
I think its funny that not finding homosexuality to be normal, means you are a "gay basher"
Nope, demonstrating hate or violence towards homosexuality makes you a "gay basher".
I don't "find it to be normal", but I don't think any gay person could accuse me of being a "gay basher". That's like saying a gay person who finds "straight" sex distasteful is a "straight basher".

Curiously, a lot of gay people I've met are quite wittily self-deprecating about it all. "Oh noes, I'm a fag! Get over it". They tend not to be wankers about the whole issue, unlike Mr Joe Redneck. Makes you wonder who's the more secure, no?

Quigs

Magister
All depends on their reasoning.

Its hard to be gay, but reject other peoples ideas. Thats like the occasional lesbian who thinks all gays should be shot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Nobody's saying that not finding homos to be unnatural to be gay bashing, Quigs. Get with the program. Crpgnut talked about beating up gays and confesses to have done it years ago. That's gay bashing.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
I have, a couple of times (night clubs etc). It didn't help that the work-mates I was out with had them as flat-mates.

I was drunk, I didn't mean it, believe it or not I'm not actually gay :D

FUCK THE FEZ
EAT THE FATTIES
FEZ FOR POPE

Fez

Erudite
When I am Pope, it will be open season on all your anuses. All the priests are at it anyway, may as well endorse it.

Gwendo

Augur
PennyAnte said:
I realized this probably should not stay in the KOTOR 2 thread because it risks throwing it off topic.

PennyAnte said:
I got annoyed that Bioware games haven’t allowed same-sex romancing when they allowed (or rather included hints of) in-game sexuality. I think it’s discriminatory.

Quigs said:
are you offended because you're a homo, or because you just feel like taking up someone elses cause? What about the fact that handmaiden says she wants to fight unencumbered (which for some reason means stripping down, but still wearing a hand clasp bra, yeah, real unencumbered), but doesnt fight naked? thats descriminator against nudists!

Whether I'm gay has nothing to do with it.

In my opinion, if someone who is gay is playing an RPG and they are railroaded into RPing only heterosexual behaviors when the game has romantic elements, it's exclusionary. What if a heterosexual gamer was railroaded into homosexual romances by the design of some RPG? Same difference.

Imagine if Jolie the cranky old Jedi kept trying to cop a feel from a male Revan in KOTOR. Some heterosexual gamers would find it extremely offensive. I'm sure gay gamers also would find it extremely offensive if they're playing a male Revan and can't hit on the male Twilek in the Smuggler's HQ because Bioware has passed judgment on their sexuality.

On a total flip side, there are probably plenty of heterosexual male gamers who would like to have a female character in an RPG hit on a female NPC because they think lesbians are hot. Who cares?

My point is the game design is discriminatory, or at least exclusionary. I don't think your point about nudism is in the same ballpark. The nudity issue is a legal one in a way sexual orientation isn't. Indecent exposure is illegal, being a lesbian is not. I will say this though: I have no problem, personally, with nudity mods in "realistic" games like the Sims or Morrowind.

EDITS: Adds Quigs quote and a little more in the last line.

For the same reason you shouldn't impose your gay views and preferences on others. If the developers didn't want or felt the need to introduce a gay romance in their games, they shouldn't be forced to.

You can choose not to play "heterosexual games", if you want. But if gay relationships had to be implemented in games, the developers couldn't choose. It would be the gay lobby imposing their views... again.

Anyway, in a RPG, you can use your own imagination. Just imagine that your elf PC has an ultra-secret relationship with the barbarian in your party, but nobody knows. That will keep you entertained. :P

PennyAnte

Liturgist
It's about creating a virtual playground that lets players do what they want to do. You don't have to be gay to want a gay romance in a game with romance options. Plenty of straight males enjoy female-female romances, for example. Even the Sims allows that sort of thing, and nothing is more mainstream than the Sims.

We have already argued this point earlier in the thread.

I win. You lose.
So says the resident Codex transsexual gamer-priestess. (Cue: thunder, lightning, reverb.)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
PennyAnte said:
Plenty of straight males enjoy female-female romances, for example.
Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Lesbians, especially hot lesbians = good and very aesthetic
2 guys fucking each other = not good and definitely not aesthetic.

I know, I know, romances shouldn't be all about sex, but it's always a possibility, aint it? :lol:

Gwendo

Augur
PennyAnte said:
It's about creating a virtual playground that lets players do what they want to do. You don't have to be gay to want a gay romance in a game with romance options. Plenty of straight males enjoy female-female romances, for example. Even the Sims allows that sort of thing, and nothing is more mainstream than the Sims.

We have already argued this point earlier in the thread.

I win. You lose.
So says the resident Codex transsexual gamer-priestess. (Cue: thunder, lightning, reverb.)

Still, you insist that if there's straight relationship, there should be gay relationship too, so what I said above still applies.

About The Sims... Then play it instead of the Bio RPG's. If you think gay relationships are important.

You won what? I lost what? :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"About The Sims... Then play it instead of the Bio RPG's. If you think gay relationships are important."

Huh? BIo seems to think that gay relationships are improtant enough to add to their games..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom