Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Turd

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Ah, is Dark Sun the old game I played? Thanks, I was confused about that, I thought it might be all the other ones that I've also played. Guess I'll cut back on those Wizardry 7/Ultima 4 playthroughs and get brian surgery to remove my memory of Darklands and Daggerfall, wouldn't want to spoil the weird fabricated persona you've built up around me. I'll have to apologise to the people who took the time to help me out with some of the less clear elements of M&M3, no wonder I wasn't sure about some aspects of it when I didn't actually play it :(

Also, I criticise the new shit all the fucking time, so I'm not even sure what you're getting at there. Have you just warped this pseudo-BUMFACE character into a caricature of everything you dislike whether he does it or not, and the one person on the Codex who's not allowed to be angry?

I'll leave the constant creepy ponderings about my tender teen body. Everyone needs to get their kicks somehow, I guess. I could make a cheap FeelTheLads pun, but I'm going to be a bigger bro than that.

See, I look at this and wonder why I went to the effort of posting it. Nothing is going to be addressed, he's just going to disappear then pop up in a week in another unrelated thread I've never posted in to shit everywhere and scream about how horrible I am for daring to be young and like old games and that now I kick puppies while taunting him with my maddeningly sexy yet forever untouchable nubile teen body. Why do I bother? Next time someone sees me do it, stop me.

CrimHead

Scholar
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Ah, is Dark Sun the old game I played? Thanks, I was confused about that, I thought it might be all the other ones that I've also played. Guess I'll cut back on those Wizardry 7/Ultima 4 playthroughs and get brian surgery to remove my memory of Darklands and Daggerfall, wouldn't want to spoil the weird fabricated persona you've built up around me. I'll have to apologise to the people who took the time to help me out with some of the less clear elements of M&M3, no wonder I wasn't sure about some aspects of it when I didn't actually play it :(

Also, I criticise the new shit all the fucking time, so I'm not even sure what you're getting at there. Have you just warped this pseudo-BUMFACE character into a caricature of everything you dislike whether he does it or not, and the one person on the Codex who's not allowed to be angry?

I'll leave the constant creepy ponderings about my tender teen body. Everyone needs to get their kicks somehow, I guess. I could make a cheap FeelTheLads pun, but I'm going to be a bigger bro than that.

See, I look at this and wonder why I went to the effort of posting it. Nothing is going to be addressed, he's just going to disappear then pop up in a week in another unrelated thread I've never posted in to shit everywhere and scream about how horrible I am for daring to be young and like old games and that now I kick puppies while taunting him with my maddeningly sexy yet forever untouchable nubile teen body. Why do I bother? Next time someone sees me do it, stop me.

wtf are you doing

MetalCraze

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
MetalCraze said:
Dude, in ArmA2 if you're not the commander of your unit and you just sit tight you can let the AI do all the work as well.

Actually unless your guys have the clear upperhand set up in the mission - no you can't.
You know why? Because they die when being shot at.

commie said:
That's nothing. Half the Soviets in 1968 are armed with modern German/Austrian weapons: PSG-1, G11(not even in service in reality), Steyr AUG :roll: . Uniforms are modern, not 60's....goes on and on.

True. They make a game about what seems to be the best era for this kind of setting and they fucked even this up.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
The good thing about MW2 was its soundtrack.

True, Zimmer was wasted though. He's best with haunting atmospheric works like in 'The Thin Red Line' or 'The New World'. Otherwise he sounds too much like John Williams.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Why is everybody discussing single-player? It's pretty common knowledge that it's just tacked on to give the boxart some context, as it has been for a long time.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reject_666_6 said:
Why is everybody discussing single-player? It's pretty common knowledge that it's just tacked on to give the boxart some context, as it has been for a long time.

Well I loathe multi against spotty turds so single is the only thing that holds relevance.

chzr

Erudite
Reject_666_6 said:

it has been a long time since cod multiplayer was little more then shooting somewhere in direction where enemy is and mmo-like grinding for better equip and perks.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
I know the proper reaction is posting the latest 4chan gif
Actually the best reaction is to shrug and go back to playing WOX like the true bro you are :bro:

Reject_666_6

Arcane
chzr said:
it has been a long time since cod multiplayer was little more then shooting somewhere in direction where enemy is and mmo-like grinding for better equip and perks.

I don't know about that. Yes, I agree with the annoying grinding for weapons, attachments and perks, but the other thing is an oversimplification. It's pretty much the continuation of Counter-Strike style gameplay.

MetalCraze said:
Wait... Are you saying there's something else in the game?

Don't be an idiot. And join the Dawn of War codex games, you loudmouthed cocksmoker. You said you wanted to play, and we could use more players to get a nice 2v2 going.

chzr

Erudite
Reject_666_6 said:
chzr said:

I don't know about that. Yes, I agree with the annoying grinding for weapons, attachments and perks, but the other thing is an oversimplification. It's pretty much the continuation of Counter-Strike style gameplay.

i'd call that oversimplification :smug:

cod multiplayer gameplay is really almost identical since it's first release. the biggest 'jump' being from cod1 to cod2, which introduced health regen and p. much removed already low recoil from guns. then there was mw1 that introduced perks and modern weapons - fully auto and attachments made long range combat much easier for everyone, you no longer needed a rifle and decent aim to score a kill, only point your red dot on enemy and pull the trigger.

now, if you really have to compare shooter mechanics with CS (even source), there you actually have to either a) control your recoil b) shoot with single rounds/bursts, otherwise you simply won't hit anything, also headshots make difference in cs. Compare to cod, where it all depends on aiming a gun (with acog or rds), pulling a trigger and thanks to no recoil the average 800 rpm will do the rest.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I'm not sure if you've played MW1 that much, but there is recoil in guns; though in some more than others. The behaviour exhibited is that the crosshair keeps rising if you don't stop to aim in between shots. In fact, I've used a no-recoil hack once while playing and there is a huge difference in how guns behave because of this. SMGs and sniper rifles are the most affected, but it's there more or less in every one of them. The recoil is the main reason why it's so hard playing with the G3 or M14 (the two single-shot assault rifles in the game), because if you're missed the first shot the chances of you managing to land a second one are slim.

About shooting in burst vs single shots, here you seem to really be talking about a different game altogether. While the scatter is not as wide as in CS, you'd find it very difficult to kill someone at medium range before he kills you if you just spray and pray. The effect is diminished while aiming down the sights, but when you shoot from the hip, unless you're using the Steady Aim perk, you'll get huge crosshair arcs. While it's true that some weapons are practically designed with this in mind, spraying is definitely not the most efficient way to play the game. CoD4 is actually similar to Doom in how full auto weapons behave, specifically that the first one or two shots fired have pinpoint accuracy (though this is strictly in iron sight mode) and all subsequent shots are inaccurate - basically this is what allowed you to snipe with the Chaingun if you fired only 1-2 bullets. This means that the most effective way to shoot, whether you're using the AK-47 or the Scorpion, is to fire very short bursts at each target. This is especially true in hardcore mode, where 1 headshot, 1 bullet with Stopping Power, or 2-3 normal bullets mean instant death.

Now you mentioned headshots. Back in the day, I was a pretty good CS 1.6 player and would get headshots pretty regularly, like say one third of shots (yes, it was pretty low by the standards of i-cafe kids with no life :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:). I started playing CS:S last year and started getting a shitload of headshots, like 66% of shots which is p. crazy. Now I just got to level 55 in CoD4 three days ago, finishing with around 4500 kills. I got the AK-47 Expert III reward on the same day, which indicated when I got 150 headshots with the weapon. I used the AK so much it's ridiculous, so let's assume I got 2000 kills with the AK. That's a pathetic 7.5 % headshots, even though the head hitbox in CoD4 is the same size as in CS 1.6. Why? It's because I play a lot in hardcore where it's p. much insta-gib, coupled with the fact that you have around the same accuracy as in CS, which reinforces everything I said in the previous two paragraphs.

So yeah...

chzr

Erudite
Reject_666_6 said:
I'm not sure if you've played MW1 that much, but there is recoil in guns; though in some more than others. The behaviour exhibited is that the crosshair keeps rising if you don't stop to aim in between shots. In fact, I've used a no-recoil hack once while playing and there is a huge difference in how guns behave because of this. SMGs and sniper rifles are the most affected, but it's there more or less in every one of them. The recoil is the main reason why it's so hard playing with the G3 or M14 (the two single-shot assault rifles in the game), because if you're missed the first shot the chances of you managing to land a second one are slim.

About shooting in burst vs single shots, here you seem to really be talking about a different game altogether. While the scatter is not as wide as in CS, you'd find it very difficult to kill someone at medium range before he kills you if you just spray and pray. The effect is diminished while aiming down the sights, but when you shoot from the hip, unless you're using the Steady Aim perk, you'll get huge crosshair arcs. While it's true that some weapons are practically designed with this in mind, spraying is definitely not the most efficient way to play the game. CoD4 is actually similar to Doom in how full auto weapons behave, specifically that the first one or two shots fired have pinpoint accuracy (though this is strictly in iron sight mode) and all subsequent shots are inaccurate - basically this is what allowed you to snipe with the Chaingun if you fired only 1-2 bullets. This means that the most effective way to shoot, whether you're using the AK-47 or the Scorpion, is to fire very short bursts at each target. This is especially true in hardcore mode, where 1 headshot, 1 bullet with Stopping Power, or 2-3 normal bullets mean instant death.

well i was talking about ironsights, yeah there is 'recoil', but it's really heavily dumbed-down, not like you can't fullauto ak47 on mid-long ranges. About hip fire, that was always extremely luck-based since cod1... you can help it a bit with perks now but close combat is just jumping around, spraying and praying. also, even if you get large arc when running, it shoots somewhere in the middle very often anyway.

Reject_666_6 said:
Now you mentioned headshots. Back in the day, I was a pretty good CS 1.6 player and would get headshots pretty regularly, like say one third of shots (yes, it was pretty low by the standards of i-cafe kids with no life :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:). I started playing CS:S last year and started getting a shitload of headshots, like 66% of shots which is p. crazy. Now I just got to level 55 in CoD4 three days ago, finishing with around 4500 kills. I got the AK-47 Expert III reward on the same day, which indicated when I got 150 headshots with the weapon. I used the AK so much it's ridiculous, so let's assume I got 2000 kills with the AK. That's a pathetic 7.5 % headshots, even though the head hitbox in CoD4 is the same size as in CS 1.6. Why? It's because I play a lot in hardcore where it's p. much insta-gib, coupled with the fact that you have around the same accuracy as in CS, which reinforces everything I said in the previous two paragraphs.
So yeah...

well headshots never did matter in cod regardless of hardcore mod... in cod1 you had rifles that killed with one shot even if you hit the body and later you had autorifles with low recoil so when you see enemy for long enough, you'll kill him almost every time. The second reason is that unlike cs, the models aren't so 'clear', it's harder to aim at the head but again, there's not a reason to do it.

That said, usually in cod the person who first sees enemy wins because when enemy got you in sights, you are most likely going to take those 3-4 hits and die, no matter what you do, on the other hand in cs, you usually don't die that fast unless you get hs and have plenty of time to shoot back or hide.

Multi-headed Cow

I believe that is my current favorite, but I'll certainly give the AK a go. I might even try my homocampergaydickbutt FAL sorta-sniper class from MW2, which was all the stealthy perks and a silencer on a FAL which worked reasonably well.

People keep nagging about the AK, but I like it. The FAMAS needs a toning-down though, I'm getting tired of seeing someone, shooting first, but them still killing me because of the retardo speed you can spray with that thing.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, just did a round with the AK and liked it pretty well. Not sure I like it more than the galil, will require more dicking with it.

Fortunately I haven't noticed anything as overpowered and annoying as G18 akimbo from MW2.

Multi-headed Cow said:
Fortunately I haven't noticed anything as overpowered and annoying as G18 akimbo from MW2.

I know right? I'm glad that dual-wielding is more akin to very inaccurate spraying in BO, while the G18's in MW2 were just stupid accurate from intolerable range.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom