Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Black Turd

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What a pile of shit. Hind A's in the 60's? Modeled with the wrong cockpit configuration as well. Jumbo Jet's landing in Hong Kong in 1968 when they didn't enter service until 1970. SR-71 Blackbird with some thermal imaging high tech crap. Soviet underwater base? FFS! Add the bullshit uniforms of the Soviets (some with big 'CCCP' on the back) and US in most levels which look straight ripped off from MW2 rather than from the 60's. The worst though are the damn guns, Steyr rifles, PSG-1, G 11 and all manner of other modern weaponry stick out ridiculously, especially when the Soviets are equipped with most of them! Fuck me....

Game is just a rehash of every single CoD level released before(yeah much like most of the others, but it's particularly obvious here). The chase is something I've seen in bloody MoH. How many times can they make the same level in a game????

Shittiest thing ever though that makes me fucking rage in every FPS these days and ESPECIALLY THIS ONE as you see it over and over and over again is the 'KNOCKED DOWN AND DISORIENTED VIEW WHERE YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING AND JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE SCRIPT OF YOUR BUDDY ARRIVING WITH THE UBIQUITOUS 'ARE YOU OK?' AND HELPING YOU UP' SHIT!!!! So fucking overused, it was fine in MoH when you first saw it but move fucking on! It's not interesting or 'immersive' these days, especially when you see it every fucking mission!!!!!!

:rage:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
it was fine in MoH when you first saw it but move fucking on!
You mean the new MOH? because it happens about 5 times there and pissed me off eventually. Aside from that, thanks for the mini-review/rant, this will get added to the "not even worth torrenting" pile.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Sceptic said:
commie said:
it was fine in MoH when you first saw it but move fucking on!
You mean the new MOH? because it happens about 5 times there and pissed me off eventually. Aside from that, thanks for the mini-review/rant, this will get added to the "not even worth torrenting" pile.

I was thinking of the original MoH which I think had this type of script first, though maybe it was CoD...Either way it was used once and that was all. You're right abut the new MoH, it was just as fucking annoying there, like every time a Taliban farted it blew you over but not anyone else. It drove me mad there and combined with how often you see it here it finally made me go on a rage rant!

If you never played any before then it barely is good for what it is,as you might be impressed by the action or whatever(since you'd never have been exposed t it before)... but if you've played MW, MW2, WaW, CoD 2(won't include CD 1 as it was still fresh and interesting) then you've played this.

That's the thing though, it even seems to reuse MW assets with the modern guns and uniforms, THAT'S how cynical of a cash in this turd is! It's horrible because EVERY level is one you've seen before(just with different textures), and there's NOTHING innovative in it in the least. You just go through the motions for the 3-4 hours it takes you. I stand by my 007: Blood Turd recommendation if you absolutely positively have to play some popamole to relieve stress as it's better than this by lightyears.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not to defend Black Ops, it is more of a movie than a game in many respects, but that's likely not possible on any other level. Call of Duty games, even the first one, have always had the AI do most of the work in the first level or so, as kind of a tutorial. There's a reason a dozen similar videos for the other levels have not popped up.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
DalekFlay said:
Not to defend Black Ops, it is more of a movie than a game in many respects, but that's likely not possible on any other level. Call of Duty games, even the first one, have always had the AI do most of the work in the first level or so, as kind of a tutorial. There's a reason a dozen similar videos for the other levels have not popped up.

It IS possible in many levels. I just tried it. Only times you have to fight are the scripted demands that YOU blow shit up yourself and the vehicle (helicopter, boat) levels where you're a shell magnet and have to shoot the mooks before they fire and do enough damage.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This game runs like shit. I'm sure I could find a way to enjoy it, but it runs like shit.

I was going to post a thread called Call of Popamole: Black Shits but I see someone was already as clever.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
commie said:
DalekFlay said:

It IS possible in many levels. I just tried it. Only times you have to fight are the scripted demands that YOU blow shit up yourself and the vehicle (helicopter, boat) levels where you're a shell magnet and have to shoot the mooks before they fire and do enough damage.

I'll have to try it myself then, that's surprising. Black Ops reaches a new low?

RatFink

Educated
can just say it again...it is a fuckin disappointment
a joke of a game!
piece of shit!
went through it in two sessions...TWO!
havent even had fun doing it!
single player is fuckin boring...absolutely BORING! worse than ANY cod game...
no sympathy for ANY character (except woods maybe but he dies a FUCKIN unworthy death for his character and just isnt referred to again..which is quite astonishing for him being kinda the posterboy of black ops...who wrote this shit???)
the vehicle parts are ridiculous...i wont even start talkin about the car...
...but the hind..well fuck even the helicopter you are "controlling" later "w,a,s,d" height controls itself...my first try on the hind mission i was flying fast as fuck and was stuck against mountains with the enemies doin fuck all to me... but that was ok because i could look at FUGLY textures while kissing mountain sides (WITHOUT FUCKIN CRASHING!!!!! YES! IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING IF YOU ARE FLYING FULL SPEED INTO A MOUNTAIN)...it only worked the second try while i was flying sloooooooow and took my time shooting things while constantly being shot at and missed.
the fuckin black bird is just in it for show anyway...couldve just left it out as well...getting introduced to a character whom you NEVER hear of again...and who...well..might as well not have a fuckin name anyhow..but yeah he is the heroic captain cockmcballs who flies the blackbird...(who wrote this shit??)
the motorcycle part in which you can actually...kinda drive sucks as well because IT DOESNT HAVE ANY EFFECT how bad you drive...it also doesnt matter in which direction you shoot your magically materialized leveraction shotgun...you instakill EVERY enemy.
no fuckin sympathy for hudson...he istn even fuckin cool...bowman...might as well be a nameless random guy getting bludgeoned to death by some random russian stereotype...you just dont care for him! making him black DOESNT HELP A BIT! any other characters...ah yes weaver...fuckin lost his eye and is wearing a cool eyepatch now...took some time for me to realize that one of my awesome teammates was the guy getting a knife in the eye in the beginning...so hes also pretty much redundant/interchangable.
woods is the only ...kinda redeeming factor in the cast..cause hes badass..i didnt even fuckin care about myself!!!!
...yes reznov...fuck that douche, whith about two lines of talk...were all brothers and we have to kill/i can feel blablachev...
story is kinda neat tho...russian mind control experiments..but that is as far as it goes!

...alright..enough half drunken ranting...
long story short..FUCKIN PIECE OF SHIT GAME!!! IM GLAD AS FUCK I DIDNT BUY THIS CUNT OF A GAME!!

Felix

Arcane
Someone with Codename X stated Woods is being held in a Vietnamese POW camp, so he's not dead.

NVA and SPAS-12 = :retarded:

RatFink

Educated
again!?

what the fuck!? ..WHO WROTE THIS SHIT!?

it is NOT a good twist if you just escaped a vietnamese pow camp with you companion..who "dies" saving you just for him to end up IN A FUCKIN VIETNAMESE POW CAMP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: especially if he should be all over the cave floor walls and ceiling..which you should be able to see on your way out because he absolutely unnecessarily jumped through a window together with a guy FULL OF FUCKIN GRENADES!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
DalekFlay said:
commie said:
DalekFlay said:

I'll have to try it myself then, that's surprising. Black Ops reaches a new low?

It's pretty fucking low to not even need to use the weapons from the future (1980's) for half the game. Oh maybe I exaggerated a little bit as you DO occasionally have to shot some fucker that just sits behind some wall and your super smart AI buddies just stand around or fire into the wall unable to get him. Unless you get rid of this fucker yourself(making sure you already moved forward far enough to stop the respawn area) you'll never progress. There are also moments here and there where you have to protect some idiot while he opens a door or some shit but that goes without saying.

It's the obsession with special ops in modern shooters and cutscenes with these few characters that pretty much forces developers into making them invincible that is a large factor in this. Since you only have a handful of men, they 'have to' be immortal mostly(except when opening doors :roll: ) otherwise the cutscenes wouldn't work.

CoD and even CoD 2 worked because you were just first among equals for much of the game(a few special forces missions aside)and so you HAD to pull your weight and more otherwise at best there'd be a stalemate with your troops getting slaughtered as they advanced(example being the Ardennes mission in UO where if you just sat in front of a particular bridge, the machine gun and tank at the other side would slaughter the infantry crossing it forever) or you'd just eventually die if you sat around in the first CoD as without health regen, you'd be eventually found and raped as your teammates wouldn't be tough enough to protect you forever.

In BO it's just the most striking example of the 'do little yet win' style of game we get these days. It's not 'perfect' yet as there are places you still have to fight but just wait for MW3!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Agreed on all counts.

I'm reminded of Contract JACK which everyone, even reviewers, said was too simple and stupid and was just linear popamole, so it tanked. Now that is the standard, only Contract JACK wasn't even as stupid and simple as what we get now-a-days. Kind of funny, that. Imagine another real NOLF game coming out now, it would blow console kids' fucking minds.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Felix said:
Someone with Codename X stated Woods is being held in a Vietnamese POW camp, so he's not dead.

NVA and SPAS-12 = :retarded:

That's nothing. Half the Soviets in 1968 are armed with modern German/Austrian weapons: PSG-1, G11(not even in service in reality), Steyr AUG :roll: . Uniforms are modern, not 60's....goes on and on.

@ DalekFlay....a new NOLF :drool: On second thoughts it would be another third person franchise rape, so better it stays as a fond, oft replayed memory:)

Multi-headed Cow

Dedicated servers (On PC), different/rebalanced weapons and perks, new maps, money system in addition to leveling system.

If you liked MW2 you'll probably like blops. If you didn't, I seriously doubt the changes would be enough to change your mind.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I liked CoD4 and thought that most of the changes they did in MW2 were pretty pointless. They added too much shit, and on top of that you had to grind for everything. Not to mention the imbalanced killstreaks.

So far I like the money system. It'll allow me to at least skip the filler and buy an AK-47/Deagle + 3xFrag/UAV Jammer/Dead Silence as soon as possible.

Multi-headed Cow

Though the weapons are still tied to levels, so to get an AK you need level 38 (I believe). Leveling does seem relatively quick, I'm at level 36 at around 12 hours played in multiplayer. Been long enough I can't remember how fast I leveled in MW2, but I seem to remember it being slower.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
YOU MUST RUN AND JUMP TO SURVIVE
YEAH I DID THANKS

I liked MW1 and 2 but I honestly just am not liking this game at all. And jesus christ unskippable cutscenes (in-game)

Have you guys ever noticed that emplaced machine guns can't hit shit in 99% of FPS? It's like every single game. I got to the boat level and fuck if that gun was designed to shoot in every direction except straight. You'll get better accuracy aiming next to someone than putting the aimer directly on them.

The guns in this game do suck. They sound like popguns and there's no real difference between them. Some spread more than others and some have scopes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom