Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards 2

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
If you only read the reviews for this game, you'd think the recent RPG incline didn't happen.

It's almost like the first one and this game exist in a vacuum.
Have you seen the mainstream sites? The do exist in the vacuum, only 3 cRPGs that were released this year are South Park, Dragon Age and D:OS. The rest were too niche or too obscure for them, Wasteland included.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
Did they kill my fucking cat in the intro video? FUCKing rude man, that sucked..... so what is Cassia supposed to be like a female John wick? Anyways she seems like an interesting character and the intro was pretty cool.

and by intro I mean cassia in the dungeon getting lost in the labyrinth and being hideously deformed and driven insane by giant mean ass spiders. Not the random strange INTRO video where they kill my fucking cat and throw it out the window. what the fuck was that....

Diablo169

Arcane
The site I use to get around our work internet filter to read gaming news reviewed it:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/Blackguards-2-Review-470261.shtml

The Good
  • Tactical battles
  • Character development
The Bad
  • Limited story appeal
  • Some repetitive combat
Conclusion
Blackguards 2 takes the formula of the initial release and expands upon it, but there’s nothing truly innovative, apart from the origin story of Cassia and her frequent moments of near madness.

The battles can often be surprising and engaging, especially when special objectives are involved and gamers need to deal with fantasy creatures, but they also sometimes become repetitive and unappealing.

Those who loved the original Blackguards will be probably happy to use their gaming time with the sequel, but newcomers, especially those who do not have any info about The Dark Eye, would be better served if they pick the first game up for cheap before getting the sequel.

8/10

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting how some people have access to the game.
:hmmm:
A few more days until I unlock it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Played 3.5 hours so far, just liberated Lorfas:

- hard mode is much easier than in BG1, feels way too easy in general, but I might still be in the "tutorial". No need to reload anything yet, wounds, hp, mana, stamina, everything seem to auto-cure after battle
- I have the feeling that combat mostly runs itself with little input needed from my end except clicking on the nearest enemy. Maybe that's because I've played BG1.
- I haven't had a to-hit chance lower than 78% yet - again, on hard mode. Quite a change.
- army of infinite soldiers means you have at least two characters in every battle who are just cannon fodder with no repercussions for them dying. No reason to use anything but the swordsmen yet, since they upgrade first and you want them to stay on the front lines anyway to soak up damage
- archery range indicator seems broken in the current version
- the dialogue is "bleaker" than in BG1, don't like it much. Cutscenes where the bad guy is sitting in his low-poly throne room talking about blood and torture to show you're progressing through the game, that sort of thing. The title finally makes sense though, everybody is just a horrible human being who hates everybody else because they are also horrible human beings.
- Story doesn't seem to flow naturally at all, but the PC is insane so I'll withhold judgement.
- Move as Lightning or whatever it's called in English is still OP, can be maxed out straight out of the tutorial area if you save your points. Same goes for that Elemental Wrath spell.
- game is 1/10 for the first three hours, really horrible could-beat-this-blindfolded tutorial stuff, gets tolerable once you're allowed to use the world map.
- everything feels extremely streamlined, if you wanted to make choices between different pieces of equipment this is probably not the game for you.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stem says 3 days and 16 hours till its unlocked. Maybe this :decline: thingy is good, keeps me from being too hyped about it.
Was hyped for AC Unity and we all know how that turned out.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Put in another hour, starting to feel less like torture now.

The C&C system got unlocked after Lorfas; there doesn't seem to be much more to it than
- butcher the people you conquer or spare them
- turn your companions into true scum or appeal to their better natures
but it's an improvement over BG1. The dialogue is still nothing special though (playing in German).

AI seems braindead, enemies beeline for a lever to call reinforcements, then stop in their tracks for one round to take a swing a Naurim before pulling the lever.

Still can't figure out if everything regenerates after every battle or only in camp, because every won battle after the tutorial has returned me to camp so far.

Fought a goblin shaman with full mana bar who just took swings at me with her club until she was dead.

The "puzzles" are getting very repetitive. Every map it's either "prevent the enemies from pulling the levers for reinforcements!", "reach the exit while dodging constantly respawning waves of enemies" or "kill all but one enemy, then keep them alive while you open chests". They're already hinting at another puzzle, "lure enemy into circle and use environmental item x to turn them to your side" that will apparently see a lot of mileage later on.
Doesn't help that the vast majority of maps is based around either "conquer this place and its entrenched defenders" or "defend this place against waves of attackers".

Battles feel longer than in BG1, courtesy of "trash mobs" that can't really hurt any of your group members and can spawn in groups of six or more. And, of course, each one gobbles up valuable time with combat animations.
I remember BG1 where a mage could get mowed down by a random lizardman soldier in the first act; this is most definitely not the case here. It amounts to an increase in combined enemy hp, but a decrease in individual and combined enemy damage.

The actual combat is basically the same as Blackguards 1 with the exact same abilities (and some improved spells nobody was using) as well as a "take cover" button that's supposed to take advantage of the new height mechanics but seems a bit of a waste of time so far. You also hit a lot more often and the enemies can take more hits. I'm assuming that makes direct damage magic relatively weak against the hp-bloated enemies, but BG1 taught me to avoid pure damage spells anyway.

Also, there's a bit where the main villain projects a hologram of himself to taunt you.

Last edited:

Disgruntled

Savant
Sounds like :decline:
The site I use to get around our work internet filter to read gaming news reviewed it:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/games/pc/Blackguards-2-Review-470261.shtml

I like this assumption :

"Those who loved the original Blackguards will be probably happy to use their gaming time with the sequel"

So they made it easier for casuals who arent going to play it anyway and proceeded to ruin it for the hardcore fans who wont want to play it now that its shit. Its worked out perfectly for reviews, so many kudos points gained for giving them an easier time. Ill eat my non-existent hat if this translates to increased sales.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So I downloaded the "demo", played the intro and proceeded to uninstall it...

Whomever at the studio that was responsible for approving the script should be fired... Beyond ridiculous even by budget rpg standards.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm now a bit more than halfway through at about 13 hours played (the bad guy helpfully tells the player that you're halfway there). The game keeps getting better, but it isn't really good yet. The most entertaining change so far are the elite recruits (assassin, battle mage, black ogre) that all seem to specialize in burst damage and can be used in every battle. This is a nice break from the usual chip-chip-chip combat of hard mode - faster and easier battles are very welcome at this point. Of course, recruits auto-level and can't be equipped.

Balance is still horrible; there's a mandatory battle at the halfway mark - your last stand against overwhelming odds - that's extremely easy, then there's another mandatory battle straight afterwards on a map with infinite spawns of invulnerable enemies, including the lizard crystal mages from part 1. You run around the map smashing a ton of crystals (whee!), then run to a gondola to leave the map. Of course, by that point the map is already overrun by enemies (especially if Zurb doesn't have Move As Lightning), so I just parked one guy in the gondola at the start and let everybody else die after the final crystal. Much easier, but not really good design. Lack of any sort of penalty for death doesn't really work with this combat design.

Also had some battles one straight after the other, can confirm that everything regenerates and wounds disappear between battles.

AI goes brain dead a lot, just standing there skipping its turns for no reason. In one battle a commander ordered its units to retreat, which amounted to running around for a bit and then engaging my party in battle again.

Fought two more boss battles so far; they still need fine tuning, which may come with the release patch. In one battle you're supposed to fight a ton of enemies while running around a swamp arena, but the units drop poison fields that are hard to see on the swamp terrain and do an absurd amount of damage to party members moving through them. One wrong click means you have Naurim go from full health to minus 14, taking 18 damage per turn once resurrected.
The other battle was another crystal smashing gauntlet, with certain levers opening certain doors and closing certain other doors. There's also an invulnerable enemy that can swallow party members and close off the main corridor by just sitting there and doing ranged attacks, which means you can just go sit in a corner for 20 turns hoping it will move out of the corridor. The other invulnerable enemy guards the levers and does 1/3 of your health per hit. Combine that with not knowing which lever does what until you've tried them all in sequence, and possibly having only one or two party members who can smash crystals (always give your mages an alt weapon set!), and you're looking at at least an hour of fun.

Worse, the loot is very bad for the effort involved, so it would probably have been better if I'd just saved the boss battles for last. The bosses are supposed to unlock ways to control certain mini bosses, but it's just a plain useless mechanic.

I wouldn't attempt to play this on Hard without making a mage PC who can heal and haste. The huge maps with waves of spawning enemies and the high mana regen rates (currently my mages are regenerating 5 AP each per turn, which translates to at least 20 hp - half a character's health bar - of healing per turn) really encourage a long-term oriented playstyle. Spells that affect every enemy/ally on map are good to, as long as the effect itself is worth a damn.
You start with magical affininy anyway, so you'd be deliberately nerfing yourself by not using magic.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Just had a boss fight that starts with the boss fleeing towards a gate over a narrow bridge. A hasted character can run past him and block his path, which is obviously very smart. Except that the guy's hp can't fall below 1 because he's scripted to go over the bridge and escape through the portal :mad:

by the way, 3 areas left on the map with 14 hours played. May end up being a 18 hour game after all.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
All those IDDQD enemies and endless respawns really sound like shit. I feared something like this might happen more often after seeing Lorfas.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
20 minutes into one of the last boss fights one of my characters started skipping his turns for no reason, even when I hasted him. I managed to pull through for another 5 minutes (about two turns, given how long it takes for 10+ enemies to move around), then another character walked through a doorway and the game got stuck in "between turns" mode. I'm going to change difficulty down to easy and see if I can stomach this again. Definitely wouldn't recommend playing this game without a huge launch day patch. Hard to see how the reviewers even managed to complete it.

edit: another 20 minutes and I beat it. Boss dialogue glitched out so I got locked out of the good ending (likely because I reloaded, so fair warning: don't reload in Dujar), the boss AI shut off, and the force field protecting the boss glitched out and wouldn't come down, but I managed to snipe the boss down by throwing knives through the geometry. Whee!

There were also six spawn portals on the maps that never spawned anything and two pulsing healing crystals that never healed anyone, but I don't want to think too closely about that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
After suffering through a glitchy-as-fuck siege battle that involved over 30 units slowly taking turns doing nothing and the same conversation getting repeated endlessly, the location for the final battle is finally on my map! Although I can't enter it because it claims that I haven't finished two quests that I finished hours ago and that are marked as "finished" in my journal. Nothing I can do now +M

reviewers ... complete it.
Good one.

I'm guessing that they took one look at the char screen and were immediately amazed that they were finally able to cognitively process what had looked like a picture from a Rorschach test to them in BG1. Not feeling oppressed by the tyranny of numbers that serve more than decorative purpose anymore, they proceeded to reward this progressive experience, that sheds the antiquated concepts of challenge and complexity which have held games back for the longest time, with a score fitting for a game that does not hurt their feelings by reminding them of the painful concept that rewards usually require effort in order to be deserved.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
glitchy-as-fuck siege battle that involved over 30 units slowly taking turns doing nothing

7aEeHR.jpg

made

Arcane
- the dialogue is "bleaker" than in BG1, don't like it much.
Please elaborate. How grimdark is it? I assume you play the German version. Does it suffer from the usual amateurish writing prevalent in German games?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Press release:

Blackguards 2 now available worldwide!

Hamburg / Munich, January 19th, 2015 - Blackguards 2, the sequel to Daedalic Entertainment’s successful S-RPG Blackguards, is available worldwide for 29.99 US$/ 22.99£/ 29.99€/ 499RUR/ 2,980Yen on Steam, GOG and other major online stores tomorrow. Featuring full English and German localization as well as subtitles in Spanish, French, Russian, Polish, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese and Korean.

You can find the brand new release trailer right here:
-> www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK6tAuxVhF4

Not much time has passed, but a lot has happened in the time between the events of the turn-based RPG-hit Blackguards and its sequel Blackguards 2. Set only few years after the story of the first game, Blackguards 2 will bring along many changes – for the well-known characters as well as for the players.

Blackguards 2 will stay an SRPG focussing on turn-based, strategic battles with a group of scoundrels as anti-heroes. Some of the best-known Blackguards from the first game will be part of the team again – unfortunately, their lives didn’t go very well since then. Dwarf Naurim, for example, has rest on his fame as a successful gladiator and defeater of the Nine Hordes. He used his popularity for shady businesses and excessive parties and got quite potbellied – not a very good condition for battles, and so he hung up his axe and ditched his old gang, as long as they wouldn't yield any profit.

Wizard Zurbaran was even less lucky: His mistress could track down the former slave, who was able to escape his servitude. She shackled, mortified and sold him for one symbolic copper piece at the slave market.

Takate, on the other hand, is back among the forest people and arranges his own gladiatorial games, letting humans fight for their destiny, just as he was forced to. He believes that there are no challenges left, after he has defeated the Nine Hordes, and gets bored with sending others to their death.

Nevertheless, the fame of the defeater of the Nine Hordes seems to be everlasting – at least for the three survivors, as all others have found their end. Cassia, main protagonist of Blackguards 2, is looking for them: Cassia’s only goal is to rule from the Shark Throne at all costs, even if it’s only for one day. In the Blackguards she sees the fighters and the power she needs for her plans, even if they are a shadow of their former glory: Naurim became fat and lazy, but also more cunning; Zurbaran lost his self-confidence and Takate seems to have lost his killer instinct.

Together with Cassia the three remaining Blackguards will be the main characters of Blackguards 2. In many quests the group will travel through South Aventuria to fulfill Cassia’s dream.

Blackguards 2 will again be based on the RPG rulebook of The Dark Eye, but it will come along with some revisions, optimisations and simplifications. The gameplay will focus on turn-based battles once more – this time the players have to conquer Cassia’s lands and defend them against intruders when the need arises. As in a fraction-based game the enemies can recapture the territories from the Blackguards.

If not in a battle, players take care of a lot of quests and the development of their characters. As common in RPGs, the quests will offer optional and alternative plotlines.

Furthermore, Blackguards 2 will have new weapons, armor, enemies and stamina as additional battle resource.

On top of that, Blackguards 2 will involve mechanics that have been requested by players of the first game, like improved line of sight, cover and formation.

Somewhat misleading title there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom