Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards 2

Mortmal

Arcane
I hope you are right grunker .But now bubbles pointed me at the D:OS steam achievement stats, i am reading it and its really frightening.Very early achievements are filled by 20% of people only. I dont understand, games are still costly for the average guy, why throw it away .My mom always taught me you had to finish your meal...I think at that cost exploring so little of the game is wasting your money.

Gord

Arcane
In other news, only 30% of players finished Skyrim.
Seems finishing games has become a lost art...

Greatness

Cipher
I hope you are right grunker .But now bubbles pointed me at the D:OS steam achievement stats, i am reading it and its really frightening.Very early achievements are filled by 20% of people only. I dont understand, games are still costly for the average guy, why throw it away .My mom always taught me you had to finish your meal...I think at that cost exploring so little of the game is wasting your money.

You wouldn't finish a repulsive meal just because you spent money on it, would you?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Most games aren't worth finishing IMO. And I say that as a completionist who has completed 90% of the game I've played even if they were bad.

Mortmal

Arcane
You wouldn't finish a repulsive meal just because you spent money on it, would you?
Well depends of my hunger, and at that price tag its like throwing caviar to the trash bin. Your analogy is right i think , if they dont finish either they got enough of it or find it repusive.Skyrim early achievements have a much better % than D:OS one, people preferjunk food to larian's speculoos ice cream , or Daedalic's Butterkuchen.

Branm

Learned
I don't understand how anyone could finish D:OS. The writing and setting are irredeemable and the game loses any challenge it might've had around 3/4ths of the way through Cysael. I'd much prefer they adapt their engine to something else and not bother with a sequel. How the fuck did that game get chosen as GotY?

Shrug I dont think anyone really knows but there are a ton of fanboys of Larians on the codex.....The early access of Underrail is 10x the game D:OS is....Kind of funny tbh a game with WoW graphics and terrible writing got voted at GotY on the firggin codex.

Athelas

Arcane
This was a reply to a post about steam achievements that showed only 5% of D:OS players finished the game.
This is pretty normal. The majority of people who start a game don't finish it, even more so for sizeable RPG's.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Their post-release support of the game ended pretty early though (just two months after launch iirc - coincidentally with the DLC they were obligated to deliver because they already had sold it in the premium version), leaving the game with several (also crashing) bugs.
I am about halfway through the game (MMX) and haven't encountered a single bug (not even a minor one) excpept one - i had to reinstall the ubisoft DRM "thing" completly once but thats hardly the game's developer fault. What im saying is that MMX doesn't feel like a bugged game at all in current state. Probably the state it was in at launch left a bad opinion in many people - and possibly rightly so.

This is pretty normal. The majority of people who start a game don't finish it, even more so for sizeable RPG's.
This.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Shrug I dont think anyone really knows but there are a ton of fanboys of Larians on the codex.....The early access of Underrail is 10x the game D:OS is....Kind of funny tbh a game with WoW graphics and terrible writing got voted at GotY on the firggin codex.

Graphics and writing: the most important aspects of an RPG. Not that I'm one to defend the overly praised D:OS, but your criticism is ridiculous.

Also, The most glowing preview of any game from 2014 that the Codex hosts is probably Blaine's Underrail preview.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

From what I've read of the most rabid Elder Scrolls players (those with 450 hours and just getting into it) the object of the game is NOT to finish it. I'm amazed it's as high as 30%, but then it has been out a while. Poor comparison.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
An important factor in an RPG's popularity is what I call "sense of scope". That means openness, not just in terms of the world geography, but also in terms of what you can do. Basically, people on Steam want RPGs that let them fuck around and do cool shit. They don't want RPGs that make them feel limited and constrained.

D:OS provides "sense of scope" more than any other isometric RPG, with its large seamless maps, highly interactive environments and combinable environmental effects, and it has reaped the rewards.

And, to get the thread back on topic, Blackguards does not - although ironically it does the enviromental interaction stuff pretty nicely in the context of its battles.

Mortmal

Arcane
Bubbles I know what you mean now with the boss fights.. Had no problem so far but that adamantin fight is nigh impossible.It's easy to figure what i am suppsoed to do, i cant hit the crystals with ranged , have to reach the levers and open the way for a party member while getting blasted by a sand construct who get back to full health each turn and respawn.Oh and my char going to the crystals is hit by berserk spell.

Athelas

Arcane
Graphics and writing: the most important aspects of an RPG. Not that I'm one to defend the overly praised D:OS, but your criticism is ridiculous.
Judging by the reception of recent releases (i.e. the Codex raged more about WL2's graphics than any popamole sites but was willing to forgive many of its problems because of its writing), I'd say this is actually an accurate representation of how the Codex judges RPG's.

Athelas

Arcane
There is no objective truth, therefore truth is something about which the most consensus exists.

Athelas

Arcane
I meant to say 'consensus within the scientific/expert community'. The Codex arguably qualifies as the latter.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Planescape: Torment is regularly ranked no.1 RPG of all time (or there abouts) on no end of lists, and that's pretty much because of purely writing and graphics, because it's a well known issue that the combat sucks and the playability is/was somewhat clunky/buggy. The originality of the companions and planner setting are the other strong factors, but they both tie into the writing and graphics that that era made possible.

cfisher2833

Learned
I don't understand how anyone could finish D:OS. The writing and setting are irredeemable and the game loses any challenge it might've had around 3/4ths of the way through Cysael. I'd much prefer they adapt their engine to something else and not bother with a sequel. How the fuck did that game get chosen as GotY?

EDIT: Silly mods and their thread splitting with no regards to context. This was a reply to a post about steam achievements that showed only 5% of D:OS players finished the game.

I finished it. It wasn't my game of the year (that goes to Grimrock 2), but I did finish it and enjoy it, just as I enjoyed Wasteland 2, which only really became particularly interesting once I hit California at about the 30hr mark. While I'll agree that the overall plot of the game wasn't particularly strong, I would disagree about the writing. It was light hearted, comical, and overall just pleasant to read; I enjoy a fantasy setting that doesn't take itself too seriously, which is probably why I also enjoyed Wasteland 2. I found the quests interesting and engaging, and of course the combat, while easier towards the latter portions of the game, never lost my interest; I was always discovering new tactics. I am also one of those types that likes to see a game through to its end--if I don't enjoy the game, I don't bother past maybe an hour or so.

Oh, and fuck off with the WoW graphics bullshit. The game looked gorgeous

ZOIZ2ac.png
bDf1hfG.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You have to admit, it looked good at the time.

No, I don't. Not compared to theother IE games.

Also, you have to decide what your point is. We started this discussion because someone claimed it was a disgrace to see D:OS as GotY because of its shit graphics and story.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
REVIEWS: http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/114992-blackguards-2-reviews.html

IGN, 7.8/10.

Blackguards 2 improves on its predecessor in almost every other respect. Daedalic effectively removed the elements that made last year's release annoying at all the wrong moments, and left its players with the best parts of the experience. It's still a methodical, almost plodding tactical roleplaying game, but now it's easier to find the fun and to enjoy its world and characters.

Twinfinite, 5/5.

Blackguard 2 manages to exist as a game that feels like a classic strategy role playing game, and as so much more at the same time. A deep story with great characters, varied quests, deep customization, and great battles make for a must have game. It may be a bit daunting for those new to the genre, but the payoff after the challenge is more than worth it.

Hooked Gamers, 8.8/10.

Blackguards 2 is an immensely satisfying turn based strategy game that brings an enticing story and high-quality balanced combat to the table. A few frustrating battles are easily suffered for the experience the rest of the game offers. Paying a spy for rumours, only to capture the subject of said rumours in the following battle and using the information against them during interrogation, thus unlocking a second access point in the coming battle makes you feel like a master of intrigue, and using your environment to weasel your way out of a no-win scenario makes you feel like MacGyver with fireballs. Although the systems may have been streamlined (a word we take -very- seriously here), this not only feels like a Blackguards game, but a worthy sequel to a beloved game.

PCGamesN, 8/10.

Blackguards 2 has surprised me. Though I enjoyed the tactical combat in its predecessor, I wasn’t left hungry for a second outing. But the more focused campaign, and a protagonist that is much more than a cardboard cut out have elevated the sequel considerably. Some slightly awkward writing and odd moments of jarring silliness weaken the grim premise, but not enough to topple it. And the immensely satisfying fights are more than worth putting up with some cracks.

Softpedia, 8/10.

Blackguards 2 takes the formula of the initial release and expands upon it, but there’s nothing truly innovative, apart from the origin story of Cassia and her frequent moments of near madness.

The battles can often be surprising and engaging, especially when special objectives are involved and gamers need to deal with fantasy creatures, but they also sometimes become repetitive and unappealing.

Those who loved the original Blackguards will be probably happy to use their gaming time with the sequel, but newcomers, especially those who do not have any info about The Dark Eye, would be better served if they pick the first game up for cheap before getting the sequel.

Canadian Online Gamers, 76/100.

When you consider buying Blackguards 2, there are three questions you need to ask yourself. Do you enjoy tactics RPGs? Do you like an interesting high-fantasy story? Do you have hours and hours to sink into a new game? If you answered yes to any of these, then I’d definitely recommend checking out not only Blackguards 2 but its predecessor as well. Daedalic has done a great job at actually listening to the community to help improve their product, and I’m really happy to see what they’ve done. You’re not going to get blown away, but you’ll certainly be left with some fond memories and a solid experience.

Cheat Code Central, 3.6/5.

Released just a year following the first title, Blackguards 2 wields exactly what you might expect from an abridged development time. The display is largely the same, yet packed with much more detail. The gameplay mechanics are similar, though with a few adjustments based on critical feedback including a much appreciated non-linear approach to story progression. And yet it also carries with it bugs and design flaws that could have been addressed with more vigorous quality assurance testing before delivery of the final product. As a diehard fan of pen-and-paper RPGs brought to life through video games, I would love to see the series continue, but Daedalic really needs to shake up the formula before their next attempt.

Game Over, 70%.

Blackguards 2 is in many ways a game that compares more closely to XCOM than other RPGs. XCOM also had a limited number of maps to fight on – if you’ve fought aliens in one forest, you fought in them all – but the XCOM maps were larger which allowed for a greater variety of strategies to be employed. The maps of Blackguard are claustrophobic by comparison and have no fog of war. Finally, while your characters have some latitude in effecting the world – you can choose to kill or spare this or that character, or attack this city or attack that one – I didn’t really get the impression that I was branching out the flow of the adventure much with my choices. Many modern RPGs have significant branching effects that are determined by the player’s choices; while I may have missed it, I didn’t see that here. I can’t help but feel like this Risk-style questing is far more limiting than the open-ish world of Blackguards 1.

Nerd Rock From the Sun, 78%.

It may not be remembered as a revolutionary game, but Blackguards 2 gets a lot of things right. It's immensely enjoyable, doesn’t force you to save the world, gives you a collection of oddball companions, and is a very satisfying way with which to spend 20+ hours of your time. If you can get past the repetitive combat, you'll walk away feeling satisfied when you're done with it.

GameHaunt, 4.1/5.

Blackguards 2 is suited for gamers who like RPGs. It has a great fantasy storyline and there are interesting characters. The combat system and interactive sequences offer a wonderful way to play an role-playing game.

The Koalition, 77/100.

Blackguards 2 uses it’s predecessor as a base and improves on it in almost every aspect. With simplified character progression, faster and more intense combat and a dark storyline with likeable anti-heroes, Blackguards 2 will no doubt have something for both armchair generals and RPG adventurers. If you want a turn-based strategy RPG full of adventure, intrigue and conquest, grab Blackguards 2 and help Cassia sweep aside her enemies to claim the Shark Throne.

GamePlanet, 8.0/10.

For anybody save the most passionate of fans of fantasy tactical combat games, Blackguards 2 is a superior game to its predecessor. Combat is faster in the second game and equally tactical. Production values are comparable. The plot and characters of the second game are far better and, although the two storylines are related, there isn’t enough substance in the first story to justify playing if before the second for that reason alone. Blackguards 2 is a lean, streamlined, 20 hour dark fantasy title and is even easier to recommend to fans of tactical combat games than its predecessor.

Mouse N Joypad, 77%.

To summarize, Blackguards 2 is a hardcore turn-based RPG with lots of content under the hood, but comes with a couple of splotches that may or may not ruin your experience somewhat. I’d recommend it to those of you who’re looking for a new fantasy storyline to look into, since it’s set in a masterfully crafted universe and sports a fair amount of interesting characters. The interactive sequences aside from the combat module are a fun change of pace, but might leave you feeling a tad queasy when the especially graphic scenes arrive. And the combat itself is a definitive upgrade compared to the original Blackguards, guaranteeing a more streamlined and satisfying, but still a difficult and intense experience. All in all, a very good addition to the sub-genre it fits in.

3GEM, 8/10.

Blackguards 2 will make fans of the first installment feel right at home. By improving on almost every aspect possible, the sequel is a much more fun-filled experience. While fans of the franchise and of large scaled turn base strategy games will be overjoyed, new players might still feel threatened by the game’s tough learning curve and its complex gameplay design. Blackguards 2 is not for those who are looking for a quick pick-up title, but for those who are truly dedicated into diving into a rich story filled strategy game, then consider this one a safe pick.

Chalgyr's Game Room, 8.5/10.

Solid graphics, amazing voice acting, splendid ambient audio, and a solid, if dark story line with support cast members that are at times both flat and full of character, really show that Daedalic is continuing to grow the franchise and refine the existing formula. Those gamers, like me, that are eagerly awaiting the release of additional classic CRPG-style games are in for a treat with Blackguards 2 so head on over to Steam and pick it up. It is certainly worth it.

Crooked Bee IGN! Consider me surprised.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom