Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope this game turns out to be more than just about combat. Everybody seems to focus on this one aspect of RPGs, while the rest suffers. In the end this makes boring games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I hope this game turns out to be more than just about combat. Everybody seems to focus on this one aspect of RPGs, while the rest suffers.

Yeah man, I hear you. The problem we've been having these last 10 years is too little focus on story and too much on gameplay :roll:

Nah man, I get what you're saying. But I, for one, am glad the industry seems to have shifted gears towards a combat focus. Some of my favourite RPGs are combat centric.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I, for one, am glad the industry seems to have shifted gears towards a combat focus. Some of my favourite RPGs are combat centric.
Mine too, but RPGs have so much more to offer than just combat, and it seems such a waste to focus only on this aspect.

In my dream RPG combat is just one if the means to achieve goals, and not the core around which the rest of the game revolves. I know many of the classic games were made like this (Goldbox, for example), because of combat-centric D&D roots, but I guess I am a storyfag first and foremost and diving deep into a (good) story and (interesting) setting will always be my main source of fun in these games - and yes I also like adventure games which have these features.

When I read about games such as Expeditions Conquistador or Legends of Eisenwald, I don't really see them as RPGs, but rather as strategy games with stats and dialogues, just as Mass Effect games are shooters with stats and dialogues (I could argue about ME1).

Almost every update about P:E mechanics we've had so far was about combat or sub-systems serving it (resting). It astounds me how much effort is put into getting this one aspect of the game right and I'm wondering how awesome a game we could get if other parts were perfected the same way.

Rake

Arcane
Almost every update about P:E mechanics we've had so far was about combat or sub-systems serving it (resting). It astounds me how much effort is put into getting this one aspect of the game right and I'm wondering how awesome a game we could get if other parts were perfected the same way.
Well, it's Obsidian. I cannot imagine a free reign Avellone/Ziets collaboration game not having a good story. Also Tim Cain is also good at creating settings (Fallout,Arcanum).
Combat was always the weaker part of every Obsidian game, so the increased focus on game mechanics is a good thing as far i'm conserned, and i'm storyfag to the max.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
When I read about games such as Expeditions Conquistador or Legends of Eisenwald, I don't really see them as RPGs, but rather as strategy games with stats and dialogues, just as Mass Effect games are shooters with stats and dialogues (I could argue about ME1).

I can't say much about Expeditions: Conquistador, didn't get a chance to play it yet, but hey, what would in your opinion make our Legends of Eisenwald more RPG? To me, a strategic game is more like HOMM. Many keep calling our game a strategy, ok, now with stats and dialogs, but it's really not, there are just a few strategic elements. Moreover, while combat does play an important role but it's more story driven actually.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I can't say much about Expeditions: Conquistador, didn't get a chance to play it yet, but hey, what would in your opinion make our Legends of Eisenwald more RPG? To me, a strategic game is more like HOMM. Many keep calling our game a strategy, ok, now with stats and dialogs, but it's really not, there are just a few strategic elements. Moreover, while combat does play an important role but it's more story driven actually.
So it is a story-driven strategy game with stats and dialogs? ;)

I may have rushed with putting Your game into the same bag as Expeditions: Conquistador. I'll take a closer look at it and see if it fits my RPG template (and if not, I'll try to explain why).

EDIT: do I get beta access if I preorder now?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MicoSelva said:
I may have rushed with putting Your game into the same bag as Expeditions: Conquistador.
Why? Both are more about traditional RPG combat elements and Choose Your Own Adventure stories than they are about their strategy elements. They share a lot more similarities than differences.

What you should be doing isn't talking about how one of them is more RPG than the other. What you should be doing is using these new types of hard-to-classify-games as an expression of what some of us have been saying all along: drop that fucking bullshit genre-discussion - it makes no sense. All these new, undefinable games show how idiotic the battle for definitions is. It makes the Codex look like teenage metal fans discussing whether some crack-head hitting the drums is metal or not.

What matters to you? Which mechanics make you tick? Stop calling the collection of those an RPG and start identifying games on whether they have those or not instead. Perhaps the C&C fags and Combat-fags wouldn't be at each other's throat so much if they didn't keep fighting about who had the right to call their own favourite mechanic RPG.

One of the mechanics I really like is Choose Your Own Adventure in a skill/stat driven environment. Another is turn-based combat where your actions outside of combat (like leveling, injuries and choices in the CYOA) has an influence on the combat. These are the reasons I'm exited for Conquistador and Legends.

It's one thing that newfags keep trying to engage in the faulty discussion of what an RPG is. They can be easily forgiven. It's another entirely when oldfags who should know better do.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
In any case, Daedalic being an adventure games developer, I'm fairly certain they will give us a fleshed out story, and not just a faint excuse to throw battles one after the other (or so I hope).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In any case, Daedalic being an adventure games developer, I'm fairly certain they will give us a fleshed out story, and not just a faint excuse to throw battles one after the other (or so I hope).

All their focus on "misfits saving the world" implies a huge focus on story. Has anyone actually doubted story will be a focus of this game? I thought Mico was just making generalizations.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well he pointed out that he was worried that they might just focus on the combat side of the game, and I just commented that even if their main focus is the combat I don't think they'll leave the story as something to add later.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
So it is a story-driven strategy game with stats and dialogs? ;)

I may have rushed with putting Your game into the same bag as Expeditions: Conquistador. I'll take a closer look at it and see if it fits my RPG template (and if not, I'll try to explain why).

EDIT: do I get beta access if I preorder now?
Well, story-driven yes, strategy - not really :) But anyway, I got really curious about your RPG template and would love to hear your opinion about our game and more details about your template. During our Kickstarter campaign last year I learned here on Codex quite a bit about CRPG, thanks to many here. But who knows, maybe I can learn something more? :) I still have lots to learn about games - both as a player and as a developer.

And yes, you get access to the beta if you pre-order now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
It's one thing that newfags keep trying to engage in the faulty discussion of what an RPG is. They can be easily forgiven. It's another entirely when oldfags who should know better do.
This is the first time I've been called (or rather implied to be) an oldfag on The Codex. ;) /single manly tear

Don't be silly, Grunker. If we don't put games in appropriate genre drawers, how will we know which games should RPGCodex (note the RPG part) cover?

Note: the above was a joke.

I agree that trying to make games fit a specific genre can be silly sometimes, but if a developer states his game belongs to a specific genre, it should be carefully examined for validity, or we will end with RPGs being games about riding on a horse and killing things with a sword, to paraphrase the classic.

I don't have qualms with Blackguards being an RPG (I don't really know enough atm to judge that), but I am hoping it will not be too combat-focused.

As for Legends of Eisenwald, I need to check the game first, but I'll post my impressions in an appropriate thread, since I don't want to derail this one any more.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't be silly, Grunker. If we don't put games in appropriate genre drawers, how will we know which games should RPGCodex (note the RPG part) cover?

Oh for fucks sa-

Note: the above was a joke.

*uncocks gun*

I agree that trying to make games fit a specific genre can be silly sometimes, but if a developer states his game belongs to a specific genre, it should be carefully examined for validity, or we will end with RPGs being games about riding on a horse and killing things with a sword, to paraphrase the classic.

We already do. Being hellbent on arbitrary definition is how we somehow ended up being in the same target group as BioWare social.

Anyway, labels are retarded, and this is reflected in the discussion that surround the attempt to label.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The concept seems solid and I love the portraits. Time will tell how the game itself is. I don't have high hopes on German storytelling and humour, unfortunately...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron

Paused at 3:01.
1. "Rangers are excellent range fighters (...) experts in melee combat."
2. Every text on character creation screen, except one line about traps and another about wilderness, concerns combat.
*sigh*

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Paused at 3:01.
1. "Rangers are excellent range fighters (...) experts in melee combat."
2. Every text on character creation screen, except one line about traps and another about wilderness, concerns combat.
*sigh*

Aaaaah, FUCK :( :(

Wait... what's the bad part?

I get that you personally want non-combat skills and shit, but don't be that guy (the one that criticizes cats for not being dogs).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I don't see the problem either. In RoA/Drakensang Elves could be experts in combat, magic and melee all at the same time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't see the problem either. In RoA/Drakensang Elves could be experts in combat, magic and melee all at the same time.

His problem is lack of non-combat skills. And I think Mico misunderstood something fundamentally about this game. I said there would be a narrative. But character system is almost certainly exclusively focused on combat.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How about a Codex interview with these guys?

Good idea. I'm swarmed with exam stuff right now, but if no one else picks it up I'll try to get on it after I'm done killing the last bits of academic info from my brain with alcohol after the exams.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hopefully towns will be more than the one static screen they've shown.
They mentioned in an interview that they will not. Low-budget Euroshovelware ya know.

Edit: Skipped around a bit in the video. Awful camera and radial menu FTL. Dialogue was also thoroughly uninteresting. Not surprised in the slightest.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Visually it looks very high quality... but the feeling is: it's still just another Project Eternity... or Torment:Tides of Numera... or Baldurs Gate:EE ... or Wasteland 2 ... or Divinity: Original Sin... or Dark Triad: Dragons Death...or whatever.

What has happened to Ego Shooters the last couple of years now happens to the RPG genre: dozens of clones, one more dull than the other...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Coming from these guys i would expect a more story centric rpg with combat taking second place, because that is what they are good at. Not sure what to expect after seeing the video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom