Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

circ

Arcane
I'm having trouble trying to decipher the german with my extremely rusty skills because jesus that interviewer is hawt.

Anyway. Artwork is pretty ugly. And they could atleast pretended to have played ToEE.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Visually it looks very high quality... but the feeling is: it's still just another Project Eternity... or Torment:Tides of Numera... or Baldurs Gate:EE ... or Wasteland 2 ... or Divinity: Original Sin... or Dark Triad: Dragons Death...or whatever.

What has happened to Ego Shooters the last couple of years now happens to the RPG genre: dozens of clones, one more dull than the other...

It might be simply that you prefer first person RPG's to isometric ones. But I see what you mean, the graphics style is sort of similar in many of the "new" isometric RPG's. However, this already started with the Infinity Engine games... Project Eternity also pretty much looks like those games. Dull? That opinion is based on your personal preferences.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyone complaining that we are getting too many oldschool RPGs can suck my cock till he chokes on it.

norolim

Arcane
Visually it looks very high quality... but the feeling is: it's still just another Project Eternity... or Torment:Tides of Numera... or Baldurs Gate:EE ... or Wasteland 2 ... or Divinity: Original Sin... or Dark Triad: Dragons Death...or whatever.
What has happened to Ego Shooters the last couple of years now happens to the RPG genre: dozens of clones, one more dull than the other...
I know what happened. You accidentally posted something that was meant for another forum. Cause I just can't figure out why anyone would consciously want to say, here on the Codex, there are too many isometric, party-based, tactical RPGs in development. I think you can still edit your post though, say sorry and explain that it was meant for a different forum.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
No in contrary, I have the feeling every upcoming game looks the same, feels the same, plays the same - although some of them aren't even out yet - but judging from the screenshots and small preview plays. I miss the distinctive feature, as they all look replaceable by each other, even swappable with Infinity engine games 10 years ago...

@LadyError: I do prefer 1st person, but the same happens on these games as well :(

J1M

Arcane
I know what happened. You accidentally posted something that was meant for another forum. Cause I just can't figure out why anyone would consciously want to say, here on the Codex, there are too many isometric, party-based, tactical RPGs in development. I think you can still edit your post though, say sorry and explain that it was meant for BSN.

It doesn't look isometric in the video. It looks like you have to wrangle the camera.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yes, old... I want my avatar exchanged with an old man's picture... oh wait... I'm already a skeleton ---

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Daedalic Announces Blackguards, Its First Turn-Based RPG

Bolstered by the success of their celebrated adventure games, the developers at Daedalic Entertainment are now off to new frontiers. This summer, Blackguards, the studio's first turn based RPG will be released.

blackguards-new_01.jpg

We finally have a descendant of Dark Eye.

Renegen

Arcane
Just shows to you how quickly publishers start approving projects once 1-2 are successful. The bandwaggon is strong and we will have a lot of incline in 2013-2014, but if you want to keep it going BE SURE TO BUY THEM.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
"Cam Robinson. Video Producer"

This is almost like that thing Swen Vincke was talking about, getting shoved in front of a racing game reviewer for a preview.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'm seriously looking forward to this one, I don't even mind if it's relatively railroaded like Final Fantasy Tactics as long as the writing holds up.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Ugh, not a fan of the 'panels between fights' they've gone for :( Oh well, hopefully it will be better than the sum of its parts, or I'll grow to enjoy it, but it certainly's a mood killer for me.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Control looks quit tedious. I'm not a fan of radial menus. Maybe it's so you can use a controller. That might be neat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
radial menus are shit and I have yet to see anything from outside combat.
EDIT: nvm, finally got the e3 scene video to load. looks really boring. combat, static town screen, combat, etc.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Short gameplay video:

The wheel by the ceiling is a weird design decision - it takes up most of the view. If you have a free camera, you shouldn't clutter the topdown view in such way, at least make it transparent or something.

Zed
The game is imho only combat, with some static town screens in between.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
yes I just saw that. I guess this will be fun for the toee combat-fags, but not so fun for the rest of us.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Gameplay looks like crap, town screens, static dialogue screens and combat, doesn't look to have much at all outside those.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
yes I just saw that. I guess this will be fun for the toee combat-fags, but not so fun for the rest of us.
But toee combat looked good, and the radial menu was really smooth and this one has none of that.:(
The combat animations remind me a lot of the ones from nwn2 (which were crap).
I am crossing this one off my list.

Like newborn turtles, we knew that some of these incliners wouldn't reach the welcoming waves of the sea.
Bye bye Blackguard, that gull is taking you to your new home. Dont worry about your brothers, most will make it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom