Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Stabwound

Arcane
It does look rather basic and boring judging by these videos, but it's not a bad thing that there are enough good-looking games coming out that something like this looks shitty in comparison.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I think it's too hard to judge from a video where the players got no skills or equipment, and are fighting a guard or two. They should have shown something more, I dunno, exciting? Seems like basic marketing 101 to go for the gusto when displaying your product.

mondblut

Arcane
The game is imho only combat, with some static town screens in between.
yes I just saw that. I guess this will be fun for the toee combat-fags, but not so fun for the rest of us.

TOEE combat-fags like to choose their battles at their leisure and on their own conditions. This will obviously be fun for the final fantasy railroad-fags.

A bunch of preset battles with puzzles. I am officially disinterested.

[Perception] Pft, no proper RPG ever bothers to recognize how many "battlemaps" it has and whether they are "unique" at all. Railroaded SJRPG detected

Hah. I warned from the start.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
With every preview this game reminds me more of Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods, but than one had (barely) explorable cities.
- preset battles, check
- preset characters, check
- non-interactive dialogues, check

I know there are probably more well known tactic/RPG hybrids than Icarus, but I haven't played any of them (or if I did, I don't remember).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...ional-strategy-with-an-interactive-twist.aspx

When a princess is mysteriously slain by a dark beast, a band of criminals must uncover the source of these darkspawn and purify the land.

Daedalic Entertainment is a German software developer that has released a number of point-and-click adventure games. The company is hoping to break out of this mold with an upcoming turn-based strategy title based on The Dark Eye pen-and-paper roleplaying rule set that is much loved in Europe.

As the game opens, you watch your childhood friend and longtime crush, the princess Elenore, get brutally murdered by a large black werewolf. You try to save her, but before you can subdue the beast, it runs off. By the time authorities arrive, Elenore is dead. You’re covered in blood, and no one believes your story about a crazed wolf.

You are quickly carted off to a local prison where you are found guilty for Elenore’s murder. However, the day before you’re set for execution, a gruff dwarf comes to your rescue. This dwarf isn’t interested in helping you out of the kindness of his heart; he’s actually a fellow prisoner and he just needs your help to escape.

As these two vagabonds begin their escape, they run across a couple guards and have to enter battle. The strategy battles in Blackguards play out across hex-filled maps. Players can move across the map and unleash a variety of attacks and magical spells similar to a number of other strategy titles, but what separates Blackguards from most other strategy games is what Daedalic calls, “the interactive element.”

Spread across each map is a series of interactive props that players are able to use to their advantage. You can throw objects like chairs and crates at your opponents, and that is only the beginning of the Blackguard’s interactive strategy elements. On one map we cut a cord and watched a chandelier fall on two guards, killing them instantly. On another we cast a wall spell that trapped a few enemies on one side. Then we released a bunch of prisoners, keeping the guards busy while we made our escape out a back door. You won’t always have to beat every enemy on the field; often some other objectives are worth your focus. Unfortunately, enemies can also make use of the interactive elements. During one mission, we had to rescue a woman from the executioner’s block, and a group of guards knocked over some boxes, blocking our path, making us fail to get to her before the noose killed her.

During each battle you also earn adventure points, which can be spent to upgrade your powers and ability. Some skills increase your hit points or your magic resistance, but other skills allow you to lay traps during battle, heal your friends, or get a glimpse into enemy stats.

After a journey of several hours through Blackguard’s lands, our motley crew finally gets to the place where Elenore’s body is stored. They hope that exhuming her corpse will give them some clues as to who’s behind the mysterious influx of ghastly creatures that now roam the land. Unfortunately, the only thing our heroes find is an empty coffin.

Blackguards still looks a little rough around the edges, but we’re interested to see what really happened to Elenore and explore more of its interactive maps. You can uncover Blackguard’s mysteries yourself when the game releases this November.

In retrospect, in terms of game mechanics, it's kind of like a more self-aware fantasy version of Shadowrun Returns.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Couldn't see anything on the screenshots because bloomhdrnextgen, but hexes told me everything I needed to know. So :bounce:
but cautiously

Blackguards_1021003S.jpg

Great level design!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In retrospect, in terms of game mechanics, it's kind of like a more self-aware fantasy version of Shadowrun Returns.

That's what I've been saying all along. It was my belief that Shadowrun would have been much better with completely HUB-MISSION based gameplay, focusing exlusively on depth in missions and systems.

If that's what this does, I'll be more than satisfied.

oscar

Arcane
I don't see panels for non-combat as decline. If anything, it's much closer to the P&P experience of having the GM describe things to you while you have to react.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ We don't know, but we do know that environmental interaction is supposed to play a rather large role according to the devs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
haha, true

This game will be exposition - encounter - exposition - encounter so it's not really comparable with ToEE.

Dexter

Arcane
Apparently Blackguards is looking for Beta testers: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127345-Blackguards-Needs-Beta-Testers
Could be an opportunity for people to spread some Codex love and tell them their systems all suck.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/144713/blackguards-closed-beta
Players from all over the world will get the chance to play-test the sinister RPG which centers around a party of criminal „heroes“, way before the actual release in November 2013, and to influence the development with their feedback.
All players need to do to be part of the open beta test phase, is sending an email to betatest@daedalic.de, and mentioning why they want to be chosen, and what their gaming experience is. Participation slots are limited, chosen participants will receive more details from Daedalic Entertainment. The closed beta test runs from September 04th until October 02nd, 2013, participants need to be at least 16 years of age. Participants will also see their name appearing in the creadits of the final game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom