Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Morgoth, May 2, 2014.

1. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    No, but you might think Sony wants "free" money from doing it. Of course, could be that they're gonna wait another 5 years and remaster it as another exclusive to sell the next gen playstation.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Like literally you just release the existing already game to already existing fanbase and earn hundreds of millions $ in a week.

Not doing it is retarded from any possible point of view. They don't even need to market it, it's fucking Bloodborne.

^ Top  
  3. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    1) sony releases bloodborne for pc and gains some money in the short-term
    2) sonyboys in tears, selling their PS4s on ebay and publicly burning kaz hirai's effigies
    3) sony's next exclusive fails to sell well because gamers are waiting for a definitive edition on PC
    4) ???
    5) losses!

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    so it is better to not release it at all and not gain free millions of dollars? logic.

^ Top  
  5. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    They don't care about money.

They thrive on the salty tears of people online.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I've done it. As for endings, I took the coward's way out of course, and was pretty happy with it.
    Show Spoiler
    I looked up the others and was amused to see how you're forced to work harder and harder to get more horrific fates. Though I suppose the ultimate one has its perks for an evil character.

Best Lovecraftian game I've played. Like how it's influenced by the Cthulhu mythos and the Dream Cycle without being on-the-nose with specific references, something a lot of westerners should learn.

Things it did that I liked better than Dark Souls:
    You get 20 health vials at a time instead of a measly 5
    Health vials drop from certain enemies
    No places where you have to fight enemies on ledges where you can fall and die
    You can teleport to any bonfire once you've visited it and there's a single hub where you do all your shopping and upgrading
    Getting to bosses after you die is relatively painless without a lot of enemies in your way
    The doll. :love:

It's true a lot of my frustration with Dark Souls stemmed with my insistence on playing it like a wrpg (trying to get it done in one go, no grinding), and now that I've learned to accept my limitations, I may pick it up again once I don't have any other PS4 games to play. This was fun, but I don't want to be this stressed out playing games all the time. Hope Sony relents on a port eventually.

• Brofist x 7
    • decline x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    decline-enabler.

you just said you liked bloodborne better because you were able to grind for healing items.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    It does a lovecraftian pseudo-power fantasy really well. Often people say that a power fantasy is inherently incompatible with that sort of setting, but the issue is only when you try to make it heroic and keep some form of humanity inside. Bloodborne solves it by making your protagonist inhuman to begin with as you start the game in the clinic getting the cursed blood transfusion that was one of the causes of all Yharnam's woes. Hunters.. hunt what they may become themselves.
    So the game allows you to slay greater and greater foes and existences.. while you're slowly transcending humanity yourself and lose what it means to be human. It doesn't give off that same dissonant vibe there was to, say, the last 2/3 of Dark Corners of the Earth where you start pumping bullets and canon balls into otherwordly things and dagon.

Speaking of which, Dark Corners is to me both the best AND the worst lovecraftian video game. The beginning of the game is textbook lovecraft. It's exactly how lovecraftian horror is supposed to be. A feeling of wrongness that pervades against which you're but a lone observer trying to make sense of what can't be. It shows the point of view of a somewhat 'normal' human stumbling upon these things really well.. up until the point it devolves into really mediocre action and really cheesy shit.

Bruh seriously.
    If that's your only issue it's a non-issue. There's enough humanity spread around DS1 without having to farm it to upgrade your bonfires everywhere that matters (ie before boss fights you personally have trouble handling). You can get the extend to 20 by defeating one of the easiest bosses of the game (at the cost of a rather annoying backtrack sequence if you go to that place before getting the lordvessel..)

Get a high stability shield.

You can teleport to the key points in DS1 once you've completed half of the game, and before completing that half the game doesn't impose too much backtracking because of the great amount of shortcuts to unlock. With that said, if that's really a killer for you, DS2 and DS3 allow you to teleport from the start.

You prolly wouldn't enjoy DS3 though because it is the most restrictive game of the series in terms of healing resources.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    When I pick up DS again, I'm going to start off by grinding a bunch of health and going from there. :M

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    If it's really important to you, you prolly should watch this video :

Killing the boss at the end of this run is what gives you the ability to upgrade bonfires to give you 20 estus. You can get there really fast from the firelink hub (backtracking will take a little more work but hey, rewards should be accompanied by pains)

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    don't watch that video Roguey. prevail with 5/10 chugs.

• incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Silva Arcane

Silva
    :love:

Have you finished the expansion too? Did you meet the poor Orphan?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    was gonna ask the same thing. the DLC is excellent

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    For that matter, Demon's Souls from the beginning allows teleportation between the central hub (the Nexus) and the start/end of each level. Although each level must be completed without the intermediate bonfires found in the later games (though often with shortcuts available), this means that Roguey would never need to run a great distance from one area to a distant one, as can occur during the first half of Dark Souls. :M

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Bruh, he decided not to fight Gehrman... I don't think he faced the REAL nightmare. Roguey if you enjoyed the game, you should play through its DLC and all of the non-procedurally generated side content, since it's pretty good. And by not fighting the old guy, you missed the best anime moment of the series:

Show Spoiler

Oh, like in Dark Souls!

Hey, like in Dark Souls!

Wait... like in half of Dark Souls...

If you pushed through Bloodborne, you should give Dark Souls a second try. Maybe you won't immediately breeze through it, but it will definitely be easier than the last time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Nah, I bought the hits version instead of the game of the year. From what I've read, the DLC is much harder than the main game (especially if you try for the first time in new game plus) so likely not for me.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • :( :( x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Reader Learned

Reader
    Nah. You underestimate sonyboys. I was always impressed how these guys reasonable at other things continue to pay for ps+ to play online, continue to pay $50 for games that are $20 on Steam already and continue to enjoy exclusive discounts which are like 5%.
    Not that much.

^ Top  
  18. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The DLC is muuuuuuuuuuch harder than the main game, and imo the first roadblock is not even hard in a good way. Otoh, Lady Maria is the best fight in all of soulsbourne.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    I believe you can do it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bendu Educated

Bendu
    The Old Hunters is simply the best DLC ever made.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Yeah, Roguey , you will be missing one of the best DLCs ever. And possibly FROM's best bosses too. Ludwig, Maria and Orphan are masterpieces, and the foundation for Elfriede, Gael, Guardian Ape, Father Owl and Isshin Sword Saint.

Don't give up now!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    The only thing I didn't like about Old Hunters was that they dumped too many weapons in a small area - felt really off after how sparse weapons were in the main game. Other than that, the bosses are all incredible (my personal favourite is Ludwig but Maria is a close 2nd) and there's really no reason not to play it. It goes on sale often too.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Good Lord Roguey don't skip on my man Gehrman. I haven't fight the Moon Presence, but man how Gehrman makes my blood boils

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Honestly, that fight is worth it even for the "Tonight, Gehrman joins the hunt" quote alone.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cruel Savant

cruel
    Roguey, as others said, don't skip the DLC. If you have problems, just do some Chalice dungeons. I was probably over leveled after doing them, but because of that, all the DLC bosses were actually easier for me than Martyr Logarius. Keep pushing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.