Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Egosphere

Arcane

You can parry his beast form???????????????????????

Yeah, and its pretty generous when he does his chained slashing attack, but you have to be close to him to get the melee attack in.

It's one of the most underrated fight in soulsborne imo. Yarnham itself is one of the strongest areas in the series. Bloodborne comes tearing out of the gates.

Machocruz

Arcane
Had some extra free time today so I jumped back on this after a long hiatus. Just finished Yahar'gul Unseen Village. Whew boy, I had to smoke a cigarette after that. Intense area. Killed Paarl, hunter gank squad, and the boss. One Reborn isn't hard or impressive, but I was still hype as fuck after killing it. Kirkhammer makes everything feel balls out and along with the bombastic score I was stoked. I'm wondering how the fuck FS are ever going to top this game? Everything except Bergenwyrth, has been magnificent.

Are Amygdala, Ebriatas, and Logarius worth it? Kind of in a hurry to finish, but if you get some cool shit from them, I'll fight em

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Master Logarius gives passage to joining the Vilebloods which, if I remember right, unlocks the most prestigious gear in the game: Chikage and Silver Armor.

Amygdala unlocks the Loran chalice, which is a requirement to go to deeper chalices (and the secret boss).

Ebrietas I don't remember. But I'm sure it must be some crazy spell or something.

By the way, have you visited the Upper Cathedral, the one thats home to the Choir? If not, do it. It's one if the most atmospheric areas in the game. The key to it is in a corpse in an interrogation cell in Yahargul.

EDIT: and answering your question, no, I don't think From can top this game. At least not from an aesthetic POV.

Machocruz

Arcane
I just bent Ebriatas over my couch on the first attempt. Holy shit. Celestial Emissary put up more of a fight. I didn't even get a chance to learn her, I kind of feel cheated. Just kept moving to her right, big hammer swings, and she only hit me with a couple tentacle attacks, one blood spew attack. Her dreaded charge completely missed me without me trying. She shot some laser or something off but I have no idea where it went. I fear this is going to come back to bite me in the ass if I do NG+. I wasn't even planning to fight her today, since I have other things to do and I like to set aside a couple hours of playtime to deal with bosses. Was just planning to wipe out Emissary, who I knew was cake. But I figured why not take a few minutes to die and see what to expect. I must have been blessed by RNGesus. Maybe sometimes it's better to go in doubting. I thought Shadows would be easy, and they were the hardest for me so far, by far.

By the way, have you visited the Upper Cathedral, the one thats home to the Choir? If not, do it. It's one if the most atmospheric areas in the game. The key to it is in a corpse in an interrogation cell in Yahargul.

EDIT: and answering your question, no, I don't think From can top this game. At least not from an aesthetic POV.

Yep. I had to look up the key location though. I would never have found that drop off by the hags with them haranguing me constantly and respawning, and I forgot about the shiny anyways so I didn't think to investigate. But yeah, I was thinking that From should make a straight up horror adventure game while I was going through it. I tread very carefully through those dark areas. Brainsuckers are a menace.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Fucking Gehrman. Why didn't anyone tell me about that shit?? So many attempts......mama, tell me I don't suck :despair:

But I beat him after an hour. Or 2. Maybe it was 3. Who knows how time goes by while you're being raped. Dodging didn't seem to work for me at all in first phase, whether I tried towards his attacks, to the sides, back etc. 2nd phase attacks are easier to evade. But one of them has such a fast start up that it got me almost every time. 3rd phase was everything exacerbated by not being staggerable. The few times I got viscerals, the damage was baby shit compared to what I was used to, even with a +10 weapon and all the best damage gems I had. Parries failed me most of the time. I ran through an entire supply of bullets and nearly all my vials, that's a couple hundred resources at least. And I don't feel I figured him out, what can be reasonably be dodged and how, parry timings. Such bullshitty tracking, no other boss has it like that in the game, and the camera goes haywire when I dodged certain attacks in certain directions.

Then Moon Presence, a spastic mess that I barely made heads or tails of and feel I learned even less about, but went down soon enough. By that time it's just whatever, let me be done with the game.

Fought Logarius and Crow of Cainhurst before that. Logarius was tough and kind of annoying, but cool. I don't feel I fully figured how to deal with him properly, but still felt just right as far as what difficulty should be in these games. Runback is aids though. Crow is intimidating but kirkhammer sword thrust was his weakness. Had an easier time than some of the other hunter fights.

Anyway, what else can be said about the game. My gaming nerves are pretty fried after a long session of hard encounters, so I'm less enthused about starting another playthrough now than I was a few days ago. I want to get good at bosses that gave me trouble, but that's going to be a time sink I don't want to get into quite yet. But game rocks out with it's cock out. I haven't played Sekiro, but this is the most consistent game out of all the others. Only one weak area, only a couple bosses that I would use a skip option for if there were one. Level design continued to impress until the end, DS1 on steroids.

I was right in that I didn't like the game as much when the cosmic shit kicked in, but that's just personal thematic preference, doesn't detract from quality. Miyazaki and Team's finest moment, all told.

Machocruz

Arcane
All I can tell you is I did him no sweat first try, but that was with all the bonus levels from dlc and a decent number of chalices.
I believe it. I've read that a lot of people didn't have trouble with him and seen videos of people getting him in 1-3 attempts on their first play. But he bent me over. Shamefur disprey.

mediocrepoet No Old Hunters. I always do the base game first and DLC on second fresh game. Also imagine what those bosses are going to do to me at this point

Anyway I started NG+ already. It's showing me I still had some things to learn about the early game.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Seems Return to Yharnam starts today. The timing was excellent too, as I was feeling like taking a break from Elden Ring. Just rolled my new character and diving in now.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
upload_2022-3-25_20-23-52.png

I'm sure something designed by this walking abomination will be great.

What? He didn't play Old Hunters? Heresy.

It's not on PS Now :negative: Should I get a PS4 for that? (and 11 more playthroughs) Maybe it'll come with that PS Plus/Now integration in June revamp: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/

I've just beat the game 2 days ago, abandoning Elden Ring mid-through. Such a perfect game. Everything that was great about DS1 like Undead Burg metroidvania, with no bullshit like Izalith, and then some.

Silva

Arcane
What? He didn't play Old Hunters? Heresy.

It's not on PS Now :negative: Should I get a PS4 for that? (and 11 more playthroughs) Maybe it'll come with that PS Plus/Now integration in June revamp: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...june-with-700-games-and-more-value-than-ever/

I've just beat the game 2 days ago, abandoning Elden Ring mid-through. Such a perfect game. Everything that was great about DS1 like Undead Burg metroidvania, with no bullshit like Izalith, and then some.
I don't think it's worth to get a PS4 just for that, even if Old Hunters is amazing and the best DLC From released. With the console seeing the end of its lifestyle and PS5 getting cheaper by the day, I would probably save for a PS5 myself.

And yeah, I dropped Elden Ring too. You know, when you're playing a game that does X but all it does is reminding you how awesome that OTHER game did X? This is how Elden Ring felt to me, a reminder of how awesome DS1 and BB are.

So I think I'll take a day off at work this week and squat at my friend's to buy him BB, transfer my save and finish it. Then I'll finish some other stuff and see if BB won't come out with that PS Plus/Now revamp.

I see the discussion about the difficulty of given bosses, the most honorable mention goes to the 3 fuckers in Hypogean Gaol revisited. I think I enjoyed Gehrman the most, though I think half the attacks in 2h scythe phase are undodgeable - staying far away, with hit and run did the trick for me, and when he grabs the gun it was way easier.

The messages from other players were mostly quality too. I kept upvoting most of them to support the chad bbro community, and the messengers party when you do that lmao.

The Decline

Arcane
I don't think it's worth to get a PS4 just for that, even if Old Hunters is amazing and the best DLC From released.

I would say getting a PS4 is worth it. Jailbreak it and install all the free games you want and turn it into a Linux PC.

So I've beat the DLC through a lot of voodoo and hijinks.

As a curiosity, when playing Bloodborne on PS Now, not only it doesn't come with DLC, it just doesn't support it altogether.

The way I did it was buying the DLC for 8 quids, going to my friend's home who has a PS4, downloading the game with a DLC on it and updating the save, only to see this message:

bb2.jpg

Very fun indeed. But because I logged in there, I tried out of curiosity PS Remote Play from my home, and surprisingly it worked, connecting with a PS4-600something. Hijacking him watching netflix and writing to me in panic what's happening :lol: because he has a PS4 Slim, it could be relayed only in 720p, but whatever.

People say it's the best DLC ever, I don't know, personally the #1 goes to Dead Money and nothing else. I also didn't play DLCs for Dark Souls 2 (or made it halfway there either), but as it's the same formula as Artorias of the Abyss, it's far superior to the bland areas in it - outside of bosses there, nothing was really of any interest. But here the creativity is through the roof, when it comes to encounters, or areas like (especially) Research Hall. Very little bullshit either despite having little mercy for mistakes, though special mention goes to those 2 fucking Deep Ones in a well with Rakuyo.

It took me, over two nights, and two visits to the Cum Dungeon to restock Blood Vials, around 6-8 hours to beat Orphan of Kos.

Conversely, for some reason, after that I beat Laurence the First Vicar on the 3rd attempt, the first two only showing to just stay on the opposite side to his flaming coomer arm. Apparently many people find him to be harder than Orphan, I dunno. I think the problem with Orphan was me playing reactively and defensively, after deciding to aggressively stay on his ass in the last 1 hour, I consistently kept getting to phase 2 and eventually downed him. :prosper:
Orphan-Artwork.jpg
IAAAAAAA

So yeah, it was a wild ride. And please, Lady Maria was just the best: :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom