Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Borderzone and some other 1C "RPG"s

cutterjohn

Cipher
I've noticed that gamersgate has some 1C Russian RPGs translated into English with just about zero info on them(in English at least and/or under English title) on teh intarwebz, so are any of these games worth buying?

[EDIT]
About all I turned up were some really old previews from a 2003 E3, and a few previews. Borderzone looks like a standard CFRPG, but claims post-apocalyptic world. (Apparently some sci-fish stuff later on ala later Wizardrys and M&Ms maybe?)
[/EDIT]

Durwyn

Prophet
DON"T EVEN THINK about buying Borderzone. It's utter shit. Terrible. Really fucking terrible. I've played it for about 5 minutes before uninstalling. I still have nightmares.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Thanks, I'll just avoid them then. Ascension to the Throne looks to be similarly obscure, and likely for the same reasons(lousy game, and no real NA release like Borderzone).

They DO have Fantasy Wars though which I read in another thread might be a decent TB strategy game.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Stay the fuck away from Borderzone. It's one of the worst games I've ever played, and it WILL scar you for life.

I haven't played Ascension to the Throne, but from what I've heard it's average. Not particularly horrible, but not very good either. You might want to check it out if you've got nothing else to play, but there is no reason not to get King's Bounty: The Legend instead.

Fantasy Wars rock. Probably the best TB tactics game in years.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hümmelgümpf said:
Fantasy Wars rock. Probably the best TB tactics game in years.

Them's fighting words partner! So you recommend that? I might give that a look over.

Humanophage

Arcane
In order to find out whether a Russian game is worth playing:

1) Go here.
2) Enter the title of the game into the field in the upper right corner of the page.
3) Click the button next to the field to search for the game.
5) Click on the title of the game next to a screenshot from it.
6) Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
7) You will see two numbers in a large font. To the right is the editor's score, to the left the user's score*.
8) If either is above 80%, the game is good. If it's below 60%, avoid it.

You will find out that, say, Borderlands is horrid; whereas Space Rangers 2 (present in the catalogue, by the way) is quite remarkable. The site is reasonably trustworthy, albeit not without its flaws. I hope it helps.

* below the user score is the number of votes

cutterjohn

Cipher
Thanks, I'll take a look as some games that I'd like just aren't coming out in the US yet, e.g. City of Lost Ships and gamersgate had a slew of Russian games that sort of looked halfway decent but difficult to find anything out about, e.g. borderzone which I will avoid.

Maybe just end up picking up King's Bounty, but I was kind of waiting for a) Steam sale or b) general price drop as I'm still playing Drakensang and just picked up Spellforce Platinum and DS1.

Humanophage

Arcane
rusty_shackleford , AG ru collapsed around 2011 after being overtaken by some dodgy Dagestani businessman, although it has been declining since 2009. But it had a decent reputation for fairly reliable user ratings at the time of the post when they stopped being focused on PC games and expanded into consoles.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Is this really so unspeakably bad as to warrant a no only? Just looks like a weird post-apoc Gothic-clone to me.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is this really so unspeakably bad as to warrant a no only? Just looks like a weird post-apoc Gothic-clone to me.

More like pre-Elex - mixes magic and sf tech. However it has party mechanics, you create 1 PC and join up to 3 or 4. Never played long enough to reach combat so I don't know if its similar to Gothic.

Martyr

Arcane
as far as I can remember the combat is a clickfest, similar to pre-patch Gothic 3 - if you get hit, your characters attack animation starts over again = you can effectively get stunned infinitely, unless you manage to escape.
I've actually been meaning to install BorderZone again; last time I played it it froze my entire computer and then the game wouldn't start anymore, no matter what I tried. :?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
U5jKP4b.jpg

DANCE NIGGA TO THE BEAT! BORDERZONE!!!

:kfc:

:kfc: :kfc::kfc::kfc::kfc::kfc:

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
WTF is this game about? It must be so bad no review videos on youtube are available.

Hires patch 1.7 isn't available it seems. Stupid .ru site must be blocked.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289220/discussions/0/611702631222434431/

Rar i guess. Someone put it up on mediafire. The manual is in russian too. Good grief. Time to use picture of w/e translator since I don't read Cybertronian Transformer language.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
WTF is this game about? It must be so bad no review videos on youtube are available.

Hires patch 1.7 isn't available it seems. Stupid .ru site must be blocked.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/289220/discussions/0/611702631222434431/

Rar i guess. Someone put it up on mediafire. The manual is in russian too. Good grief. Time to use picture of w/e translator since I don't read Cybertronian Transformer language.
It's on Steam and GOG for 1$ or something close.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom