Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo talks about the Wasteland 2 beta at Eurogamer

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
So many contradictions and strawmans in one post. :lol:
So guys what about that special tag dildolos has. I think Dockfart has earnt it by now.
Is is just me or whenever I see a post by you, I get this overwhelming image of this tryhard edgy wannabe-Codexer, probably a teenager, desperately trying to fit in here. You're a joke.

Apexeon

Arcane
And yet for all this whining, the Codex still keeps giving Fargo tens of thousands of dollars every time he launches a Kickstarter.

The way people on these forums get irrationally :butthurt: every time something regarding Fargo/Inxile comes up is just hilarious. I guess it's just because he is successful at life and gets free money to make CRPGs of his dreams, while you are all pathetic losers.

Mate you don't need money to live the dream.
But Fargo seems to need buckets of it to make shovelware.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
And yet for all this whining, the Codex still keeps giving Fargo tens of thousands of dollars every time he launches a Kickstarter.

The way people on these forums get irrationally :butthurt: every time something regarding Fargo/Inxile comes up is just hilarious. I guess it's just because he is successful at life and gets free money to make CRPGs of his dreams, while you are all pathetic losers.

Mate you don't need money to live the dream.
But Fargo seems to need buckets of it to make shovelware.
/ignored

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
:what:Out of all the fucking retards ITT you ignore that guy?
Nothing wrong with opinions being expressed. That guy is a poser who thinks his opinion is Godsent because he made some isometric map renders in Blender or some shit and this makes him a "developer", despite the fact that actual games are components of code, and graphics are a very much secondary component.

Calling WL2 shovelware is just flat-out offensive, given all the features and skills it has, it's quite obvious Inxile is putting every cent of preorders and KS money into improving and expanding the game. Especially considering how notorious difficult to manage open-world RPGs are, when the developers have to keep track of all the multiple game world states that could come about by whatever player does, in WL2 you can shoot and kill every character you see, including story-important NPC's, that alone creates a shitload of variables and possible ways for players to break the game, and Inxile needs to account for all that.

If they were just out to make money with minimal investment with WL2, in true shovelware, they wouldn't made an RPG of that scope. They would've made something closer to Shadowrun Returns, which the current WL2 beta is much bigger than despite only being 20% or something of what the final game will be.

Apexeon

Arcane
:what:Out of all the fucking retards ITT you ignore that guy?
Nothing wrong with opinions being expressed. That guy is a poser who thinks his opinion is Godsent because he made some isometric map renders in Blender or some shit and this makes him a "developer", despite the fact that actual games are components of code, and graphics are a very much secondary component.

Calling WL2 shovelware is just flat-out offensive, given all the features and skills it has, it's quite obvious Inxile is putting every cent of preorders and KS money into improving and expanding the game. Especially considering how notorious difficult to manage open-world RPGs are, when the developers have to keep track of all the multiple game world states that could come about by whatever player does, in WL2 you can shoot and kill every character you see, including story-important NPC's, that alone creates a shitload of variables and possible ways for players to break the game, and Inxile needs to account for all that.

If they were just out to make money with minimal investment with WL2, in true shovelware, they wouldn't made an RPG of that scope. They would've made something closer to Shadowrun Returns, which the current WL2 beta is much bigger than despite only being 20% or something of what the final game will be.

120 maps mate.

A lot more then Fargo could ever make single handed without getting out the kickstarter welfare bucket.
And he knows it hence why he is in the marketing department.

WL2 has scope what scope ?
All I see is a bland game. And if that's what 3 million gets you lets pray something good happens for Cash in on Torment / numenera. Why even use Torment in the name when it has nothing to do with the original bar milking it.

Last edited:
kickstarter welfare bucket.
:nocountryforshitposters: Really? Do you seriously think that analogy holds even a drop of water? How about you clue me in, explain to me how cutting out the middle man and getting your money straight from the consumer is anything like welfare.

Arkeus

Arcane
So? It's still pure shit artistic direction. WL2, both it's 2D and 3D elements, is beautiful.
:hmmm: Seriously?

Most of the other stuff is "i want to believe in Fargo" and i don't really mind people being optimists, as after all optimists is exactly what Kickstarter works from (and i, too, want kickstarter games to succeed), but are you seriously saying that the W2 art is beautiful and D:Os art is ugly?

I thought it was a pretty unanimous consensus that D:OS art was droolworthy and W2 art was garbage so far.

Apexeon

Arcane
If I was on the WL2 art team full time I would want my name removed from the credits to save face.
But art don't matter and apparently all the money got eaten up on the gameplay.

I guess we'll see, but W1 had soul and character concerning the art direction (not to mention "whackiness"), while I do concur, so far that W2 looks like some shovelware unfortunately. It's not like it needs better graphics, it's just that art direction sucks. I'll still enjoy it if the game isn't mediocre boring turd though. Maybe it was easier to have good art direction in such "primitive" graphics like W1 than it is with detailed graphics. I want to say that I consider Fallout graphics good and nice even now, Arcanum too, although character models do suck a bit, but overall it's all good. Maybe because low budget 3D is hard to make without looking cheap and bland.

I haven't played the beta, but I hope a lot will change for the final product if what most of the Codexers think about it is true (except the few staunch fanboys). And by that I mean that most seem to think it's an unexciting mediocre game that doesn't shine even in the areas that Fargo promised it would. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
W2's environment art is fine. The people complaining about it have mostly just realized that they don't find post-apoc landscapes very appealing.

LivingOne

Savant
Not that I'm overly pessimistic about the game and I'd be fine with either a dungeon crawler or FO clone but...
there's good exploration
yeah,no
I want lots of big dungeons with their own unique graphic assets and look, unique enemies with their own unique attacks that make them challenging
Yes,and WL2 is good at this,right:hahano:
:2/5:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've decided I'm not going to read this thread anymore until after Monday when people have actually had a chance to experience Wasteland 2's first big update, representing over a month's worth of work.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
W2's environment art is fine. The people complaining about it have mostly just realized that they don't find post-apoc landscapes very appealing.
Their models are good, but the art direction is atrocious. Ag. Center is the only one that actually looks good and has some contrast, all the rest is just BROWN AND YELLOW WITH BLOOM. Just look at this:

ivGi9bh0uxxUJ.jpg

The bloom is so bad is hard to read the text because the whites are exploding. And this was what InXile choose to release as screen shot of their game... RAGE and Borderlands also have a wasteland setting, but look a hundred times better because there's actually someone on the team that knows about colors and contrast.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever. It's a fucking desert. Why not show the other screen from the same update:

ibidf8cWNdi1ZE.jpg

inb4 low res rock textures

Lancehead

Liturgist
Pointing out such an inconsistency in art direction doesn't do the game any favours, Infinitron.

I don't agree with this. I find Fallout 1 and 2 post-apoc landscapes VERY appealing. And overall art direction much preferable to this. It has that desolation vibe without being boring or bland. And we will agree that graphics is not the Fallouts main asset. W2 art department just sucks I guess. Or maybe higher fidelity graphics ruin it or low budget. I don't know. Looks cheap, shitty and bad either way.

What's even worse, what they have shown so far seems quite same-y too. I was hoping for more interesting and varied locations, especially since they said they don't want just brow and yellow landscape. And considering the fantastic locations from the original, it should have much potential. I'm still hoping it will fulfill at least some of it... Although I'm not so sure anymore.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What's even worse, what they have shown so far seems quite same-y too.
Really? I mean don't get me wrong, the variation is relatively low in Arizona and only goes up, especially when you go to LA, AZ has an overall "Arizona desert" vibe, and we've shown only four major locations, but even just scrolling through the Steam screenshots seems to belie the claim that there's no variance
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=206040238
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207449374
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=205209126
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203167556
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203632321
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204588341
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203795366
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203771347
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204108794
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204893266
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204893230
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=204419753

You have to be pretty damn selective in which WL2 screenshots you look at to claim it is only brown and yellow (though naturally there is a dominance of that in desert locations), and again, that's even when looking only at the very earliest Arizona locations, nevermind even something like Damonta.

Last edited:
And sorry bro, but what you posted hasn't persuaded me otherwise, it sill looks same-y to me. Yeah, there's some green foliage, but that's about it. First screen is cool though, I guess it's Aggro Center? Something's just off with art in the game IMO. I was pumped when I saw that green Scorpitron wallpaper, and the original W1 box art (very cool and atmospheric), and yes I know that's just concept art, but I was hoping for some atmospheric "magic" which W2 so far lacks IMO. I'm hoping it's just the early stage, and that there will be some great locations to enter and explore like in the original. Like temple of blood, guardian citadel (creepy), high tech abandoned facilities etc. But that's the least of my worries anyway (graphics).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't think Wasteland 2 is a beautiful game, or even necessarily a particularly good-looking one - but I think it looks totally fine with respect to the kind of game it is and the necessary constraints of its budget, development time/team size, and so on. It gets the job done. Locations look like what they are supposed to be, despite the store-bought assets there is some consistency to many of the environments, and the level of detail is pretty solid (a few low-res textures aside).

Also worth noting that with full 3D environments and a top-down perspective, it's a lot more difficult to make well-composed environments. Unlike 2D visuals, if the camera can move around and change at any time then it's nearly impossible to make things look great from every angle, especially when prioritizing visibility is a concern. I would say that more than anything has to do with the perceived lack of art direction. Even something like Divinity: Original Sin - while great looking - owes its success more to the quality of the source art and its more fixed camera perspective, rather than the environment design itself.

For the record I think Wasteland 2 looks better than Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and it's comparable to Fallout 1 and 2 (though they definitely have more charm). But as always I am thankful the time and money is being spent on gameplay content rather than endless iteration on visuals and art.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The graphics look fine. I seriously believe anyone who complains about them is tacitly supporting decline. Yes, InXile does not have quality artists. We've established this. Who gives a fuck? We want a good game, not a good desert background watcher.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wasteland 2's look is more a reflection of the low budget (and I don't necessarily mean low overall budget, I mean we apportioned a relatively lower amount of money to graphics for this size of a project) than talent of our artists. Torment's prototype is shaping up great and that game will end up looking great. Wasteland 2 won't look great, but it does look fine, and in places even good. Different projects, different approaches, and that's the main factor here. As a fan of cRPGs I do have to agree with the general notion of "who gives a fuck?" about graphics, as long as it looks good enough, which it does.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree with that. Not every game needs to be gorgeous and focus on graphics; but W2 defenders should just be honest and accept that as well, instead of saying that it's beautiful and better than D:OS or that it only looks mediocre because we don't like post-apocalyptic settings.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I seriously believe anyone who complains about them is tacitly supporting decline.
Only if you like assumptions. If the visuals are not good, then they are not good. It's 'supporting decline' only if you assume that the complainers want the visuals improved at the expense of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom