Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo talks about the Wasteland 2 beta at Eurogamer

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Was gonna give the game another shot to see how far it has gotten but it crashed after filling out the age on character gen.
But what I want is a locked camera, gibs and a sensible interface. I haven't heard anything about those making it in yet.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I don't have a graphically-artistic bone in my body, so maybe I'm not seeing it. But the visuals look fine. They look like how a desert with a shitload of rocks would tend to look: brown and tan and grey.

But . . .

That one screenshot looks like the bloom or whatever is set to overload. I understand going the whole "sun glare" route to portray the brightness of a desert at high noon, but goddamn. You can't see anything.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only if you like assumptions. If the visuals are not good, then they are not good. It's 'supporting decline' only if you assume that the complainers want the visuals improved at the expense of gameplay.
I'm saying I don't care. I find the discussion boring, and it takes away from discussion about the real meat of the game.

The visuals are fine for the scope of the project.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I'm saying I don't care. I find the discussion boring, and it takes away from discussion about the real meat of the game.
That's an incorrect assessment. The visuals are a focus because the update posted a couple of screenshots. In contrast, when the beta thread exploded at the start of the beta, the meat of the discussion was gameplay, and one can safely expect the gameplay to again be the focus of the discussion once the new update rolls out.

The visuals are fine for the scope of the project.
There are typically two reference points when criticising an aspect of a game. One is the scope of the game, and the other is peers. Both of them are valid in different contexts. Further, some of the present criticism falls well within the scope of the game, such as the excessive bloom in some areas and colour pallete.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
that it only looks mediocre because we don't like post-apocalyptic settings.

It's all about wrong expectations, you see, it's never the result. From the mouth of best internet psychologist, Infinitron Broflovski

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
W2's environment art is fine. The people complaining about it have mostly just realized that they don't find post-apoc landscapes very appealing.
You are being the dumbest Wasteland 2 apologist lately. Which is quite an achievement around people like Daedalos

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
W2's environment art is fine. The people complaining about it have mostly just realized that they don't find post-apoc landscapes very appealing.
You are being the dumbest Wasteland 2 apologist lately. Which is quite an achievement around people like Daedalos

that it only looks mediocre because we don't like post-apocalyptic settings.

It's all about wrong expectations, you see, it's never the result. From the mouth of best internet psychologist, Infinitron Broflovski

Would have been the best game ever, 10/10

Awesome graphics

Brown > Yellow

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually it does look better than W2. And I find post-apocalyptic landscapes very appealing. In fact they're like home, seeing as I grew up in Eastern Europe.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Post-apocalyptic is not necessarily desert.* Well, I suppose in W2's case it is. So you'd instead have to say that people don't like desert landscapes. And that would be true. Deserts suck.

*Funny thing, I remember a promo image for FO: POS which had the characters in front of sort of a tropical background with palm trees. Just imagine the reasoning that lead to that. Post apocalyptic=desert=palm tree. :fuuyeah:
Wish I could find that image again. It's your new task Infinitron, get to it.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Post-apocalyptic is not necessarily desert.* Well, I suppose in W2's case it is. So you'd instead have to say that people don't like desert landscapes. And that would be true. Deserts suck.

*Funny thing, I remember a promo image for FO: POS which had the characters in front of sort of a tropical background with palm trees. Just image the reasoning that lead to that. Post apocalyptic=desert=palm tree. :fuuyeah:
Wish I could find that image again. It's your new task Infinitron, get to it.

432rf.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Brown > Yellow
Actually, it is a bit more complex:

76a8Kvz.jpg

Wasteland 2 not only uses the brightest color of them all, but it also fails to properly contrast it, using nothing but shades of brown & yellow. The reason why that second screenshot actually looks decent is because they had less yellow and some "blue-ish" gray to contrast it:

bQ97dEa.jpg

The whole game should aim for balance like this; their models and graphics are not bad, they only lack more care. Why not only they keep over-bloom areas like the other one, but post high-res screenshots of it as a awesome accomplishment is beyond me.

hiver

AoD looks about ten times better. Even with relatively worse graphikz.

work of a really, really good artist.

Septaryeth

Augur
Brown > Yellow
Actually, it is a bit more complex:

76a8Kvz.jpg

Wasteland 2 not only uses the brightest color of them all, but it also fails to properly contrast it, using nothing but shades of brown & yellow. The reason why that second screenshot actually looks decent is because they had less yellow and some "blue-ish" gray to contrast it:

bQ97dEa.jpg

The whole game should aim for balance like this; their models and graphics are not bad, they only lack more care. Why not only they keep over-bloom areas like the other one, but post high-res screenshots of it as a awesome accomplishment is beyond me.

:bro::bro::bro:

throwaway

Cipher
Where did you get that? I'd like to shove the FNV breakdown to people who complain it's more bleak than F3.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
or just index the picture in photoshop to 4 colors or something.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The badness of the graphics are related to the enviroment now, 'k

If you're replying to me, I was joking.

Curious_Tongue:

:what:

That must be it, but it's much worse than I remembered. Makes me wonder if it's official. But I guess it would perfectly embody the idiocy of the people working on that game.

Commissar Draco

Borderlands 2 is pretty great, although better with MP, Rage is meh, although I haven't played enough to give a better review, I've owned it since release though, so that should say how into it I am...
Also, your old avatar was better.

Darkzone

Arcane
Nice one Felipe. I would brofist it if i could.
But if yours reduced color palette, would stand only on it's own, i would say that Wasteland 2 is the best. Because it has the highest variety on different color palettes.
And Fallout 1 would range in the middle, with FO:NV and FO:3. FO:3 (vanila without the DLC and Mods) like FO:NV, had very few variances in the interiour and the landscape, even now it the beta of Wasteland 2,
i can say that Wasteland 2 has a lot more different interiours and different landscapes, with different color palettes. But this is also like comparing apple to pears. Pretty much senseless.

I would say, that the worst graphics problems of Wasteland 2, is the lack of different body models / mashes, the disproportional weapons models, and the PC / NPC body textures, and not a restricted color palette, and the lack of contrast in some places.
The problems that i did mention could be easy solved. Overall the graphic of Wasteland 2, was never a main goal for the backers. Therefore a feedback about it is good, but whining not.
I'm for my part are very satisfied, with the color palettes and the contrast of the landscapes in Wasteland 2, because it does remaind me of a real desert (or at least that i think is a real one), and not a fantasy one.
But let me end my emission with this: Tomorrow we will have reasons to complain, but not today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom