Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Brian Mitsoda fired from Bloodlines 2

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shout out to everyone who preordered this video game

• Funny x 20
    • Despair x 2
    • nice x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Arcane

Black
    [​IMG]

• incline x 15
    • Funny x 14
    • How about this as a button x 6
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • coof x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Going by comments on sites like RPS, even SJW types seem pissed about Brian being fired.

The drama will probably be more interesting than the game itself at this point.

• Agree x 18
    • Excited! x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Bohrain Savant Patron

Bohrain
    We all know this would've never happened if the game had been turn based.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 3
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    I was just going to comment on that. WTF happened to RPS? It's RetardEra levels of passive-aggressive cuckoldness.
    Although I'm not sure why they're surprised, they were cheering for corporations for so long now - did they really expect they would never be on the other side of the barrel?

• Old Old x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. cyborgboy95 Learned

cyborgboy95
    Well, at least we still have an unannounced horror-themed game that may be set in the world of darkness from Harebrained Schemes (who is owned by Paradox now) in addition to Vampire The Masquerate Swansong from the maker of The Council (if you are into narrative-RPG)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jedi Exile Arcanum Patron

Jedi Exile
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It just came to my mind that they used Brian to promote this game because he worked on Bloodlines and he is well known to the fans of the original game, they don't just used his work and ideas, but also his name to sell this game to the fans, and after he contributed to all this (although he acknowledged that marketing was very hard for him to do because he is not a people's person), they just got rid of him.

I am not sure about cancelling my pre-order, because I think there still would be work by Brian and other good people in the game, and I want to see it.

• cuck x 11
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 2
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It was always a dangerous proposition to pre-order this (or any game in this age). Safer to cancel the pre-order and see what the game is like when it's out.

Goes double with them fucking Brian over.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 4
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Wait. I wasn't paying much attention to the devment outside watching the noclip shillmentary and trailers being released at major conventions, so I didn't even know MCA was involved, but after some quick search I see this:
    June 2020: After the MCA kerfuffle, Paradox announced all MCA written content will be removed from the game.
    July 2020: Mitsoda goes bye bye.

Smells like

• Despair x 11
    • Makes you think... x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    It's a distinct possibility. My respect for Brian would increase dramatically if turns out he had stood up for MCA.

• Agree x 21
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    You can just pirate it.

• PIRACY IS WRONG x 6
    • incline x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Balanced x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kuattro Augur

Kuattro
    There's always been this tensions between the "old guard" and the new developers, who more than once have mentioned how they would like to "correct" the mistakes the first game made, something that I expect Mitsoda, as one of its creators, probably didn't enjoy at all.

I remember one of the new developers going to twitter to mention how disgusted he was when he saw he had to share a project with MCA (instead of recognizing the opportunity of working with someone who has more talent in his appendix that the little toad has in all his body). He probably didn't say anything about it when he was right in front of him, and they certainly used him as a PR crutch as much as they used Mitsoda, but once down, all bets were off.

I don't think the development team was a happy family, and there were a lot of people hoping to "dispense" with the "baggage" so they could make the game they wanted to make, which as I said sounds more like a "correction" of Mitsoda's work than a continuation. He was the weakest link in the chain (especially after MCA's damnatio memoriae) and they probably used any excuse to go crying to management with the platitudes of how "it's not working out". Might as well have been him refusing to unperson MCA.

I bet that in the next days we'll get plenty of developers of the game talking about how it was horrible to have to work with two dinosaurs with old ideas, and how now they will really bring their vision of what Vampire and the WoD should be.

Expect shenanigans :bunkertime:

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Some wishful thinking ITT right now re: Mitsoda. The guy had no problems dispensing of his own baggage.

• Agree x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. daveyarsegallant Cipher Vatnik

daveyarsegallant
    Mitsoda was probably sacked for mismanaging the project. Its been caught in development hell for sometime already and Paradox probably lost patience.

• Agree x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Sadly, probably true. It's a nice thought that he may have stood up for MCA though.

Also ultimately pointless to consider, as unless someone spills the beans we'll never know happened.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Oh, believe me, unless you are making a simple tiny game, devs always see their past games as a deeply distorted and broken image of their original vision. Cut content, changed content, unrealized scope, unreached design goals, shit that worked better on paper, plethora of minute inconsistencies you see but players miss, underdeveloped shit you had to rush through.
    Mitsoda likely saw a lot of problems with the original.
    Whether there was a major agreement or disagreement between the new and old devs as to what needed fixing, that's a different question.

• Brofist x 18
    • Despair x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kuattro Augur

Kuattro
    I see where you are going and yes, he (and Annie) are very much in the "woke" department. The first Bloodlines was a pretty woke game by itself, of course in the 90s-early 2000s way.

But I still believe in basic human decency. Just like Darth Vader, there's only so much shit you can endure and see before your lizard brain goes "hang on a minute".

Can a man really see some of his most memorable work, and work he probably was proud of at one moment or another, get shit on without really starting to resent it a bit.

I certainly don't believe the development of the game was a battle between the colour haired hordes and paladins of the industry like Mitsoda and Avellone in defence of purity and political incorrectness in a world gone mad.

But I can not believe that there were not tensions. Moments were the square peg did, even if politely and silently, refuse to go into the round hole. And I do believe that that is, at least partly, the reason of these news.

Otherwise, why fire him so fulminantly? Either he touched someone's anatomy when he shouldn't (and we've been told is not that), or this was brewing for quite some time and only now has had consequences.

It cannot be that the game is in development hell because, as he himself has said, he is not in charge of programming or anything of the sort, he is just a narrative guy, so his firing has to have something to do with the narrative, the theme and the story of the game.

I don't know, and we probably will never know, but seeing how other developers of the game have spoken historically of the first Bloodlines, and seeing that this is all a Paradox operation (they already nuked White Wolf for the reasons we all know), I don't think it's completely unreasonable to venture the reasons why the axe has fallen on him and one of his close collaborators, and no one else, was because they were not "a good fit for the team".

Or maybe he did just put his hand in the kitty, either the money kitty, or the other kind.

• Brofist x 5
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Paradox must have gone "you can do that??" when someone brought up firing Mitsoda and the other guy, considering Swedish law prohibits firing someone without disclosure (and good reason). I honestly think this is a Hardsuit Lab-related drama, with Paradox just okaying it. Something like the CEO of Hardsuit Labds being pissy about something (sounds like a person who could be that -- protected Tweets and a BLM banner: https://twitter.com/andykipling ).

Here's from a negative 2017 glassdoor review:
    Studio heads and management are from Zombie Studio. Reasonably nice people. However those staff members haven't shipped a game from "start to finish" in over 5 years. They are a bit out of touch and inept. Understanding of basic order of operations/development and dependencies!

From mobygames:
    Zombie Studios shut down in January 2015 with its owners' retirement. Former staffers of the company subsequently founded a new studio, Builder Box Games (now Hardsuit Labs)

These people seem to be aforementioned Andy Kipling and Michael Athey (Studio VP). Pretty sure they cooked this up, whatever the reason.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Brian said this:

One way to interpret that statement is as something like "Our narrative team was doing just fine, it's these other guys who failed to support our vision!"

In other words, he and Cluney might have been seen as unlikely to cooperate with what needs to be done to ship the game (ie, cut lots of content). And he hints at that right afterwards:

Something similar happened to Kevin Saunders on Torment: Tides of Numenera.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Not necessarily. It's quite possible he stood up for the art and the process, not for Chris as a person.
    MCA's stuff might be so essential cutting it would ripple through almost every other piece of content. Just rewriting a game after a major change might take up to a year, not to talk about re-implementing all the new and changed stuff. The game was supposedly in the final lap (very likely in beta stage) that means close to everything was already implemented.
    But it might be the case MCA just wrote one side character that can be easily cut, so this is all just speculation.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kuattro Augur

Kuattro
    So either, as I venture, the "evil wokies" have added Mitsoda's scalp to the collection, and they are now going to turn the game into shit.

Or the incompetent managers of the studio (still "evil wokies" though!) have fucked up so royally that they are now forced to bring the guy with the chainsaw to start cutting, and the only ones who actually said that this was not ok have now been sacked. And they are now going to turn the game into shit.

Yours sounds more reasonable, especially seeing how the industry works, but I'm not letting go of my pet theory, dammit.

This is like Alien vs. Predator, isn't it? Whoever wins, we lose.

Nah who am I kidding? When this garbage is released we'll have a party the size of the one we had when Andromeda was ripped apart by players and critics. We'll have entertainment for a week, and without having to pay a cent. I'm ready for the memes.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Heinrich Educated

Heinrich
    Ever since having to deal with some developers of spin-off games of their titles fucking with them and draining resources without really doing anything for them (for example Magna Mundi) earlier in their history, Paradox have developed a very cutthroat approach to troubled productions, both in-house and for the games they publish (the exceptions to this are their core in-house IP's, which is why Imperator is still getting updates).

These games either get cut ruthlessly if there is nothing to be shipped yet (like Runemaster or East vs. West), or dumped out and forgotten if something can be salvaged from them (March of the Eagles, Sengoku, Magicka: Wizard Wars).

The development of the game was fucked, it was decided something could be salvaged from the wreck so development will continue at the cheapest possible level, the game will later be dumped without much fanfare and support in order to recoup some losses, without wasting more money on marketing for a failed project.

And the people they think are responsible for this get the axe. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • incline x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.