Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Brian Mitsoda fired from Bloodlines 2

Miserable Panda

Educated
I PRE-ORDERED THIS GAME A WEEK AGO, WHY

Edit: If you are reading this, invest your money wisely and use it on games that have already been released and have the approval of your Codex® friends.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
someone has to write for the DLC don't they? At least in a narrative heavy game.

I am sure that kotaku chick (or whatever rag she's made her "writing" career at complaining about muh patriarchy) has a plenty of tranny friends to bring in. Like, uh, "patricia hernandez" and xir 7 transbian lovers.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The real reason for firing him is that some Paradox mole here at 'dex fora saw this poll:
Sy7O6X5.png

Our words carry weight beyond our numbers, so we have to be careful from here on.

Latro

Arcane
Asking for new systems designer after firing Mitsoda spells it out. Everyone’s need to dream up a sparkling Mitsoda in shining armor fighting DLC or SJW shit needs to get real.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Mitsoda likely saw a lot of problems with the original.
Not with BL1 but I was amazed how accurate he recognized all the issues of Dead State in a "what went wrong" section of this postmortem.
While we were able to achieve an impressive scope for the project, we definitely had to work with the base of what we could afford. Most reviewers called us out on the lack of activity in the Shelter or the turn-based combat not being interesting enough, and while we would have liked to have done more with them, we simply did not have the budget to make those features happen.
meh, bullshit.
Underrail's combat(character building, etc.,) is way better, what kind of budget and team did it have?

Combat and character building in Dead State(to be clear here -- I'm not picking on Dead State, this applies to a lot of cRPGs) is subpar because it's obvious the designers never bothered to learn the fundamentals. It's like trying to draw lifelike figures without even studying anatomy but just guessing. They did a rough approximation of what they think it should look like.

Honestly, it's sort of ridiculous how he seems OK with just having bad combat. It's like an FPS having bad shooting mechanics and the designers saying "well, our priorities were elsewhere!"

Sometimes honestly, we just suck at certain things.

My general design philosophy is to take an existing idea that can be fun (for example, the rules for DnD 5e), take away all the garbage that make it unfun for me (like 50% of 5e) and try to implement it in a game.

Doesn't always work. As much as we want to believe there is some sort of science or art to designing RPG systems, there really isn't anything beyond just trial and error, tempered by experience.

waken

Educated
The real reason for firing him is that some Paradox mole here at 'dex fora saw this poll:
Sy7O6X5.png

Our words carry weight beyond our numbers, so we have to be careful from here on.
If only. They would have fired the entire staff. :)

As entertaining as it is to watch this burn, I would have liked a good Bloodlines sequel. Maybe some indie will deliver one day.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Brian Mitsoda Kickstarter when ?
Codex slowly acquiring its CRPG dream team.
[x] MCA
[x] Brian Mitsoda
[ ] Brian Fargo nah

When was the last time Avellone had more than a passing involvement in a project? As in actually helmed the narrative side of a project? It looks like his recent work is just writing small parts and collabs.

Kind of a waste given he's arguably the only RPG writer with mainstream fame.

Murk

Arcane

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Brian Mitsoda Kickstarter when ?
Codex slowly acquiring its CRPG dream team.
[x] MCA
[x] Brian Mitsoda
[ ] Brian Fargo nah

When was the last time Avellone had more than a passing involvement in a project? As in actually helmed the narrative side of a project? It looks like his recent work is just writing small parts and collabs.

Kind of a waste given he's arguably the only RPG writer with mainstream fame.
FO:NV?

He's said pretty explicitly he doesn't want to be narrative lead any more. Since 2010, he was more like the master in an art workshop, adding a stroke here, a word of advice there. It diluted but expanded his impact on the industry, and more importantly, it let him be a hands-on mentor to a whole generation of writers. He had a chance to teach the young writers at Obsidian, Larian, inXile, Overdrive, etc. -- recruiting, mentoring, providing feedback, formal and informal. Obviously his current status is what it is, but modern RPG writing -- the themes it explores, the kinds of characters it focuses on -- is Avellone. If he'd just focused on his own work, he might have inspired many, but his impact probably would've been less.

Latro

Arcane
Obviously his current status is what it is, but modern RPG writing -- the themes it explores, the kinds of characters it focuses on -- is Avellone.
If this were true, where are his successors? Avellone said he wept when Obsidian threw his work in the dustbin, and it's true, he wasted years churning out work that would be dismissed and his influence has waned everywhere but here.
Since 2010, he was more like the master in an art workshop, adding a stroke here, a word of advice there.
He was an "owner" in the Obsidian office that ultimately wasted what should have been some of his most productive creative years of his life. Then he became a kickstarter item, and now he's persona non grata. MCA lived a hard life.
He had a chance to teach the young writers at Obsidian, Larian, inXile, Overdrive, etc.
:hahano:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Lots of people on the Codex are going to automatically assume this because they like Mitsoda, but in his case it's probably more likely that he'd be removed because Paradox want to cut woke content.

I mean if the game is behind schedule, it's likely that some content will need to be cut. Maybe they think Mitsoda and Cluney aren't up to the job.

lmao if you think a european company as cucked as paradox is going to want to remove woke content, this is the same company that rejects its own audience and fanbase because their memes are too "dangerous"

It's more like if content has to be cut, the crazy woke stuff might be the first thing to go. Cara Ellison's trigger warning menu idea? Yeah, that's likely not happening now.

Paradox are European but they're not retarded. One way this game differs from VTMB1 is that its publisher also owns the World of Darkness license. They should have a strong interest in not fucking it up.

Another famously "Bad Take" from our resident news-man.

Quoting so I can jump back here in 8 months and do the whole "Told you so" song and dance.
I'm starting to get bored of gloating over PoE and Underworld Ascendant.

sser

Arcane
Developer
A long development cycle with multiple companies involved. The simplest assumption is that it was a business decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom