Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

ChristofferC

Magister
Adventure games have always been something that looks and sounds better than it plays.

Having been unable to finish a single adventure game EVER, from Full Throttle to The Ripper to Monkey Island to Phoenix Wright to Back To The Future, I continue to have zero enthusiasm for the concept of glorified pixelhunt with occasionally triggered cutscenes.

Not to be a wet towel or nothin'.
I usually cheat whenever I get stuck for a while in point and click games because pixel hunting and trying to combine everything with everything is not my idea of fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adventure games have always been something that looks and sounds better than it plays.

Having been unable to finish a single adventure game EVER, from Full Throttle to The Ripper to Monkey Island to Phoenix Wright to Back To The Future, I continue to have zero enthusiasm for the concept of glorified pixelhunt with occasionally triggered cutscenes.

Not to be a wet towel or nothin'.
I usually cheat whenever I get stuck for a while in point and click games because pixel hunting and trying to combine everything with everything is not my idea of fun.

How about taking a step back and trying to think of a logical solution?

Or do you do that before deciding that you've gotten stuck?

Angthoron

Arcane
If there was a Kickstarter project for a game based on Mechwarrior 2 design philosophies, I'd drown it in money.

Exactly how I feel about sports games and flight sims. So?

Should I have gotten something out of that statement asides from us having something in common? ;)

Well, I was trying to say something about different tastes and interests, but darn! Granted though, adventure games aren't my primary interest either, but I'm guessing that positive example of DoubleFine (presuming they manage to make a good game in time) would possibly see more classical gameplay representatives being made - who knows, a proper remake of XCom, a proper Arcanum sequel, anything's technically possible if teams manage to get sponsorship.

Of course, they won't have people like Schaefer to be the "face" of their projects, but hey.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Logical solutions in adventure games have never been a particularly sound strategy.

Mostly because the engines were never sophisticated enough to account for any degree of non-linearity. There aren't properties, or forces, that are affected by certain other properties or types of items... there's always just very specific triggers that work in very specific circumstances and not in others.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Logical solutions in adventure games have never been a particularly sound strategy.

Obligatory OMM link is ignored.
Let's leave the dark ages behind us. I've found that the recently made TellTale adventure games have had perfectly logical puzzles.

Mostly because the engines were never sophisticated enough to account for any degree of non-linearity. There aren't properties, or forces, that are affected by certain other properties or types of items... there's always just very specific triggers that work in very specific circumstances and not in others.

That's what an adventure game is.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
It 's at 430k now,can't wait for Notch to notice this and donate a cool one million jewgold units.

Repressed Homosexual
Brutal Legend was always an RTS, the action parts were only added late in the development.
The people who say that it is an RTS are console kiddies, who don't know what a real RTS is. There were only 5 battles in the game that used that mechanic, the rest was free roaming action adventure. So no, it was not an RTS. Although I admit the multiplayer focused on only that aspect.

This comes from an interview with Tim Schafer himself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Brutal Legend was always an RTS, the action parts were only added late in the development.
The people who say that it is an RTS are console kiddies, who don't know what a real RTS is. There were only 5 battles in the game that used that mechanic, the rest was free roaming action adventure. So no, it was not an RTS. Although I admit the multiplayer focused on only that aspect.

This comes from an interview with Tim Schafer himself.
I don't doubt that it started as an "RTS", and it turned out to be an action type game. But the end result was 90% action-adventure-free roaming stuff and 10% "RTS" (the single player of course).

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Evidently, members of the generation that played point n' click adventure games back in the early 90's have grown up to be quite successful adults. I don't think any other genre could have raised this much money so quickly.

I think the reason it reached the goal so quickly was a few things, Notch just gave Double Fine a lot of gaming media attention, The involvement of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert, the money men having declared adventure games dead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Donated glorious 30 Reais, and the project is in almost 500,000 already! Suck that publishers. :incline:

That was five minutes ago. Now it's past 500,000. Is this shit for real? :incline::incline::incline:

EDIT: Donated $20.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't really like point-n-click adventure games, but I wholeheartedly support this venture. The more esteemed developers can do this, the better off the video games industry will be for it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In before people go "Wtf is this shitty spew they released!? I hope they all get cancer and die!" in 6 months.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In before people go "Wtf is this shitty spew they released!? I hope they all get cancer and die!" in 6 months.

I usually pay 60 dollars for shit games, so even then I'd end up ahead.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Now it's time for Herve to strike while the iron is hot...

Kickstarter for another EWJ game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm interested in this, but Garth Ennis' children's book project is ten thousand times more interesting.

ERF is the story of four friends at the dawn of time; Figwillop, KWAAAH!, the Booper, and Erf himself, and their adventures in the primordial world of long ago. The four take their first nervous steps out of the ocean and onto the shore, and are soon exploring the exciting new lands beyond. But danger lurks in the prehistoric jungle, and soon our heroes come face to face with the mighty and terrifying Colossux . . . An evolutionary tale of love and loyalty for children aged four and up.

I donated to both projects. Go, Double Fine! Go, Garth!

Wulfstand

Prophet
One of my all time favorite adventure games was Day of the tentacle, alongside that Indiana Jones game that everyone loved, i think it was IJ 2 or something, again, my memory is a bit fuzzy. God I could sure go for something like that.
I just hope they won't publish something similar to those episodic Monkey Island games, those were real turn offs for me, from the graphics to the content per episode, everything just felt a bit off for me..

RPGMaster

Savant
Man Schafer has really let himself go. He looks like a completely different person to this

tim-schafer.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Interestingly enough, they got more than half their money from people donating 100$ or more. In fact, as of now, donations of 1000$ or more add up to a pretty crazy 81000$. Although I suppose nobody else does pre-order bonuses like lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Interestingly enough, they got more than half their money from people donating 100$ or more. In fact, as of now, donations of 1000$ or more add up to a pretty crazy 81000$. Although I suppose nobody else does pre-order bonuses like lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Pledge $15,000 or more:
Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $20,000 or more:
Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $50,000 or more:
Become an actual character in the game.

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

I'm interested in this, but Garth Ennis' children's book project

Wat? o_O:?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom