Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Age - Double Fine's Kickstarter Adventure Game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interestingly enough, they got more than half their money from people donating 100$ or more. In fact, as of now, donations of 1000$ or more add up to a pretty crazy 81000$. Although I suppose nobody else does pre-order bonuses like lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Bioware should give it a try. Lunch with David Gaider and Felicia Day in a Tallis costume.

Angthoron

Arcane
Interestingly enough, they got more than half their money from people donating 100$ or more. In fact, as of now, donations of 1000$ or more add up to a pretty crazy 81000$. Although I suppose nobody else does pre-order bonuses like lunch with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Bioware should give it a try. Lunch with David Gaider and Felicia Day in a Tallis costume.
They should start their own programme, dub it "The Cockstarter".

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So if I donate $50k will I get both an undoctored and a doctored picture of Ron Gilbert? Will I be able to tell the difference?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

I would donate if they got Gaider wearing a Darth Gayder t-shirt and Yvonne Strahovski wearing this

0FA7Xl.jpg

So if I donate $50k will I get both an undoctored and a doctored picture of Ron Gilbert? Will I be able to tell the difference?

LyQEC.gif

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yeah, I know, right? But Ennis has always been a fantastic relationship and romance writer so I'm not that surprised seeing him branch out into children's books. :love:

Anyway, a picture of Ron Gilbert? Man, that's something, but I'd prefer to have a picture of MCA. How much is that, Obsidian?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)
Great way of making money...a teared version of that box sold for $200 on eBay...

Anyway, a picture of Ron Gilbert? Man, that's something, but I'd prefer to have a picture of MCA. How much is that, Obsidian?
In B4 Obsidian kickstart Arcanum 2 with $5,000 donations from teh Codex for lunch with MCA.

trustno1code

Prophet
Financed by the fans:
Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions - Kickstarter

Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see.

In about 9 hours they got the required 400.000$
It's over 550k now, and there's 33 days left.

They're doing a documentary of the production for the backers to see during the process, "private discussion community" for giving feedback during development... ah, just watch the promo video (it's that huge Double Fine logo) for all the awesomeness.

Oh yeah, and if anyone's got 150k lying around:
The Double Fine Adventure-Adventure is here!

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Pledge $150,000 or more:
Great way of making money...a teared version of that box sold for $200 on eBay...

In B4 Obsidian kickstart Arcanum 2 with $5,000 donations from teh Codex for lunch with MCA.
I'm sure they could trick us with far less than that.

100,000 or more - we'll send you a bottle filled with the air from MCA's office.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
18,322 Backers
$739,844 pledged

This is mighty cool.

And it'd be even cooler if something similar could be done to produce a new "oldschool" cRPG.

Black

Arcane
Imagine, maybe the Codex could make its own RPG. With Prosper as lead designer.
I'm thinking an isometric RPG with turn-based combat set in post-apo low-fanta-sea Roman Empire themed world.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
18,322 Backers
$739,844 pledged

This is mighty cool.

And it'd be even cooler if something similar could be done to produce a new "oldschool" cRPG.

I somehow doubt it. It works for Adventure Games because it is a genre largely abandoned by the mainstream. Adventure game fans don't even have a substitute, no major developer caters to them. RPG fans have largely transitioned to either Bioware or Bethesda. Newfag RPG fans don't even know what they don't know, they think RPGs have evolved, and that Mass Effect and Skyrim are the pinnacle of this evolution. I honestly doubt the "oldschool RPG" crowd is as large as the classical adventure crowd. Games like Fallout are also considerably more difficult and more expensive to make than what Schafer is trying to do. He has like half a year of development time planned, what kind of RPG can you make in that amount of time with a 400k budget?

And all of that aside, who could propose such a project? MCA? The "oldschool RPG" industry doesn't really have figures of the scale of Ron Gilbert or Tim Schafer. Maybe Tim Cain, but he's busy with South Park RPG.:roll:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
At this rate they're going to break the million mark in less than a day. I wonder if they did expect such success...

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if VD could use something like this to help fund and finish AoD before Thursday?

Also Arcanum 2 by Tim Cain and MCA

10k to dine with Cain and MCA

30k for an undoctored picture of MCA smiling,naked

50k for the privilege to suck Tim Cain's and MCA's cocks

They could raise 500k from the Codex in 8 hours

20 Eyes

Liturgist
This is great news, and could lead to big things for the gaming industry (especially for niche genres like adventures and *gasp* turn-based rpgs). This also seems like it might be a new solution (for some) to piracy. "Give us the money beforehand, so we know you don't just download the game for free when it comes out :smug: "

Too early to know for sure what this means (other than 3/4 million dollars in 24 hours), but this could be a big wake-up call. I'm just interested in seeing what happens.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is mighty cool.

MCA's mind is blown because of the success of this modell. Maybe Obsidian will try something similar with an oldschool cRPG.

Avellone on Twitter:
I just backed Double Fine Adventure on @Kickstarter http://kck.st/A9k3jH ! Adventure games FTW
Man, this Double Fine model is amazing. $675K in a day? They should do the same with Firefly, @NathanFillion, just saying...
@SteveJaros @kickstarter That is nuts. Whole new business model, here we come!

How about you do it yourself to fund a real RPG project. Dammit.
Who? MCA? I think this is a bit too much money for one person to fund.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Who? MCA? I think this is a bit too much money for one person to fund.
I meant that Obsidian should start a similar thing to get money for a real RPG.

I just backed the project.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ron, I wanna believe things can go back to the way they were, but I know you're gonna hurt me again.
How did Ron Gilbert hurt you exactly?

He went out for a pack of smokes in '91 and never came back, you insensitive equine!
That's nothing. Tim Schafer went out with my pack of smokes in '91 and never came back.

Man the fuck up, you pussy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom