Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Broken Sword The Serpent's Curse

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I FUCKING HATE and DESPISE that graphical- and animation style in the Serpent's Curse teaser. I'm so glad I didn't pledge into this, better to just remember the first one as accidental masterpiece.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't get why people hate it. It looks great to me. I guess some people are just uber-sensitive about 3D and 2D being mixed? I dunno.

Anyway, can't wait.

kaizoku

Arcane
It's the same type of art style that made me quit Runaway after an hour.

Why not do traditional 2D art?

Also they seem to have turned Nico into the Heavy Rain slut.

AFAIK it's because it would get fucking expensive due to hi-res we use nowadays. (even though the germans still do it :salute: )

Would also prefer for it to be 2D, but I'm ok with the cell shaded thing. Although I have to say some animations look a bit rough.

Dexter

Arcane
https://revolution.co.uk/news/2013/11/05/broken-sword-5-release-4th-december/

Game is apparently releasing December 4th.

kickstarter_releaseupdate.png

We are delighted to announce that the PC version of Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent’s Curse will be released on December 4th. The success of our Kickstarter appeal has allowed us to be hugely ambitious – the game will be released as two action-packed episodes. Each episode is a full sized game in its own right, which we will publish in close succession.

The first part of the game will debut on Windows / Mac / Linux through Steam, GOG.com, and Revolution’s own website store on December 4th, with a PlayStation Vita version to follow later in the month. The concluding part of the game will be published on PC in January 2014. iOS and Android versions will follow shortly after each PC episode

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I doubt their claim of each episode being a game in its own right. Probably calculated by current game lengths. Obviously trying to milk it.
At least as a backer I get both of them.
Curious how they're gonna do that beta test just a couple of weeks before release.

Game's looking pretty decent, in my opinion. I've played all of the Broken Sword games, even the shitty recent 3d ones. Will be cool to play a new one.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Played the original a long while ago, now going through Smoking Mirror on my Galaxy Tab. I like it. Though, while the game is easy most of the time, there are quite a few nonsensical puzzles. I hope they tone the difficulty right in this one.

m_s0

Arcane
It seems that way. That season pass thing is just misleading.

I still doubt each part is as long as an entire game, though. Depends on the game, but shitty marketing is shitty.

m_s0

Arcane
It doesn't say in the link whether there's more coming after Ep2 or not, so that's where my confusion came from.

And since we're kind of already talking about this, I do avoid reading as much as possible about anything Kickstarter-related on purpose. Same with the Wasteland, P:E, ToN etc updates. The less I know about them the more enjoyable experience I'll have playing them, and there's lots of info I'd never want to know beforehand that's given out very casually, I find. I'm just tired of stepping into unmarked spoiler-territory. Basically, the last time I even glanced at anything related to that new Broken Sword game was at the beginning of the Kickstarter campaign.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Is this a direct sequel to Smoking Mirror? It would be a good thing if BS3 & 4 were erased from the canon.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is this a direct sequel to Smoking Mirror? It would be a good thing if BS3 & 4 were erased from the canon.

Good question. One thing turning me away from getting this immediately is the fact I still haven't played BS4. If this is a sequel to the second game though, well...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Alright so I've played an hour now.

Random collection of initial impression, I suppose:

Slightly wonky animation at times, but nothing outrageous.
Backgrounds look nice.
One hour in, solved the first "scene", but not exactly grabbed by the story yet.
Writing is decent enough.
Voice-acting is decent enough as well. Sounds like it could be the original VOs (I don't know if it is), and the other VOs sound good enough.
Inconsistent volume on the voice-overs... It was as if George yelled a few lines for no apparent reason.
I play on "classic" for whatever options could have "classic", and hints turned off. Will see how that turns out later on but initially it feels pretty good -- like a classic point & clicker.
Nicole isn't wearing her purple dress :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom