Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Buildfag RPGs (aside from Diablo clones)

Eisen

Learned
Games where building your character is deep?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Credit where credit is due, if you can tolerate Owlcat games, I hear that build enthusiasts really enjoy them.

I'm not sure if "deep" is the right term for their games, more like "exploit broken shit."

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Pathfinder games are more capable of buildfagging without resorting to broken stuff

The fact that optimization ceiling is very hard and you can do silly stuff with it doesn't mean you need to "exploit"

it's just problem with 3.5e based games

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
More of a rts/rpg hybrid, but the character building in warlords battlecry 2 is deeper than most RPGs, old or new.

notpl

Arbiter
You could actually achieve a surprising degree of this in that King Arthur tactics game we were all playing a couple years ago.

More of a rts/rpg hybrid, but the character building in warlords battlecry 2 is deeper than most RPGs, old or new.
I really enjoyed the heroes in Warlord's Battlecry 2. All of them were extremely satisfying, especially the archmage. The spell list was better than what most modern RPGs have in them. You could even staff the mines with summoned zombies, or mutate your units into more powerful ones with illusion magic. I will say that the game is an RTS first, but the heroes are good enough to embarrass a lot of current year RPGs.

behold_a_man

Educated
Heroes of Might & Magic IV is pretty much an RPG/Strategy hybrid (much heavier on RPG elements than earlier installments), and had more depth in terms of character building than almost all RPGs I saw. I could develop a hero to scout the area, to help me with management, to give boosts to my troops, or to physically assault enemies; and there were 5 schools of magic, much harder to master than in previous entries and way more rewarding. I could do way more insane things on the battlefield than before with the bigger variety of spells and the ability to choose between an additional hero or an additional unit. I could blend any group of five of those nine sets of skills as I saw fit; each offered unique advantages, and their combinations gave me a specialization (which could also dramatically change the proficiency of a character on the battlefield).

The quality of those elements might be more obvious in campaigns made by users, though. The main campaigns were uneven (albeit some were great - especially the Necropolis), and those from the add-ons were abysmal.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heroes of Might & Magic IV is pretty much an RPG/Strategy hybrid (much heavier on RPG elements than earlier installments), and had more depth in terms of character building than almost all RPGs I saw. I could develop a hero to scout the area, to help me with management, to give boosts to my troops, or to physically assault enemies; and there were 5 schools of magic, much harder to master than in previous entries and way more rewarding. I could do way more insane things on the battlefield than before with the bigger variety of spells and the ability to choose between an additional hero or an additional unit. I could blend any group of five of those nine sets of skills as I saw fit; each offered unique advantages, and their combinations gave me a specialization (which could also dramatically change the proficiency of a character on the battlefield).

The quality of those elements might be more obvious in campaigns made by users, though. The main campaigns were uneven (albeit some were great - especially the Necropolis), and those from the add-ons were abysmal.
Homm V was made by nival (owlcat).
Heresy, but YMMV. I mean if you're into IV you may as well try V.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Path of Achra is a Buildfag: the game.
Erannorth Reborn and Chronicles, if you're not allergic to cards.
Voidspire Tactics and all the other Tactics games by Rad Codex.

ind33d

Learned
starfield has one of the best skill trees in a video game and I mean that completely unironically

d&d 3.5 is just broken

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom