Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can We Get Another Turn-Based CRPG Already?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Excommunicator said:
I am aware there are many, many styles that can fall under "anime", but again, it doesn't matter. This is not a debate about specific things that fall under a specific term. For me this is about styles identified in specific products, whether they are technically anime or not is purely circumstantial at this point. The only point I am making in using the "anime" art as examples is the fact that I have so far identified elements of intentional visual simplification in all of the "anime" that I have seen. That makes them good examples of what I think are inherent weaknesses in dealing with mature topics in contrast to less mature ones. You don't have to agree, and I am not going to change that opinion.
You nearly got us. I guess majority of posters hear thought you was talking about anime.

That is what makes anime lovers around here act like pack animals every time I debate the topic. You know who you are.
I guess it would help when you say you are not talking about anime, but used a correct term from game development.

in order to identify offspring, because most baby animals do have proportionally much larger eyes, the identification of which is a survival mechanism for both the adult and the baby. Unless you can separate that biological instinct - which you can't, don't kid youselves - then you certainly can't claim that it is just my experience with cartoons that gives me that opinion.
And don't forget old painters painted women with larger eyes, butts, and breasts. Considering woman breasts hyperbole currently present in Anime, I doubt your argument holds water at all. (It can be used for Western animated works.)

Johannes said:
From that quote I can only tell that animation is called anime in japanese (doesn't include the specification of being japanese either). But it doesn't answer what anime means in english, which isn't as simple as that.
Anime meant a Japanese styled animation with mature elements, and consistent stories spanning over multiple episodes. (Basically non crap mature like animation.)
Clockwork Knight said:
I wonder if some of you actually believe that empathically stating your opinions over and over turns them into facts
It occasionally works for democratic politicians. It worked for ancient Egyptians after they altered previous writings. So why wouldn't they try it well?

mondblut said:
You mean my avatar is anime too? :smug:
Naw. It should be classed as Manga. Drawings that were showing Oni that had sex with tied up naked women were rather common. Japanese are perverts.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Blackadder said:
Never really got into the whole 'Gaming Art Style!' thing. I am guessing it is due to the games I began with largely having little, to no, 'Art Style', so I see games purely through the gameplay they deliver, with graphical content merely being a window and representation to the gameplay itself.

Ultima_IV_intro.gif

Is it Art?

tmc1.png

Can you feel the Art?

Phantasie_III_ingame3.gif

Oh God the Art is Heavan!

0.jpg

The Art; can you feel it?

Windwalker_ingame.gif

Multiheaded Art.

Pool_of_Radiance.gif

True Art.

Knights_of_Legend_4.gif

Art on Art.

newcomer2.jpg

Art overload.
Sieg Heil!!!

Excommunicator said:
This board is so full of half wits that don't even understand insight when it is written clearly and concisely. That is not my problem.

When a lot of people fail to understand your "clear and concise" reasons... maybe...just maybe...the problem could be on your end.

Of course, that would imply adimitting that you aren't 100% right about everything, and I understand that's hard for most people.

Not me, of course. Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal

Raghar said:
You nearly got us. I guess majority of posters hear thought you was talking about anime.

I was talking about certain types of anime, but not because they are anime. Simple to understand? Good

I guess it would help when you say you are not talking about anime, but used a correct term from game development.

See above

And don't forget old painters painted women with larger eyes, butts, and breasts. Considering woman breasts hyperbole currently present in Anime, I doubt your argument holds water at all. (It can be used for Western animated works.)

Don't know what you just said.

Clockwork Knight said:

It is irrelevant how many people disagree or take offense to the things I say. I don't need agreement to know I'm right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom