Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim Carrier Command 2

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news..._medium=tweet&utm_campaign=twitter-2021-04-07
Developer Spotlight - Naval Warfare
a1f7c0816bd38867e7374deb7fcadcbb4ca8af16.png

Dear Players,

In developer spotlight posts, we discuss the detail and ideas behind Carrier Command 2.

In this post, we announce naval warfare in Carrier Command 2.

Across the archipelago, the enemy have a small fleet of corvettes and gunboats that guard the highest value islands. While these ships only guard a small number of islands, they are very dangerous. These ships are armed with a subset of the same armaments you carry on your carrier.

5be397987b251099406d9ead4942d6c720d9077e.jpg

While it may be possible to sometimes approach an island undetected and deploy ground forces while avoiding a naval conflict, it is often prudent to eliminate the enemy naval force before landing. This can be achieved through several means, such as the same armaments that you already have versus ground targets such as cruise missiles, naval artillery cannon, guns, rockets, precision bombs, but also the new carrier launched and air launched torpedoes.

de3d078fea134ff7b5863e46a277f5fc20013d01.jpg

Torpedo combat is inspired by classic Microprose title, Red Storm Rising, and also the well-crafted spiritual successor Cold Waters. Torpedoes are launched with a compass bearing and arming timer. Once the arming timer becomes active, the torpedo switches from cruise to search mode, and actively searches for sonar targets. Once a target is locked, the torpedo steers towards the target to close the distance and maintain lock.

Torpedoes are displayed on the vehicle control screen including their position history to show their progress and tracking behaviour.

As well as offensive torpedoes, your carrier and some enemy ships are equipped with decoys and noisemakers. Decoys are another type of torpedo that emit a strong signature, which other torpedoes are likely to lock on to. Noisemakers simply generate a huge amount of sonar interference in order to blind sonar tracking capabilities and disrupt a sonar lock.

e009ba577ee8b1b0c7f089ff38ec635594413954.jpg

Fighting these ships is hugely engaging, but also serves as great practice for when you finally fight the enemy carrier, and everything is being played for.

We have been having a great time developing and playing with the new naval combat and cannot wait to share more with you.

Please let us know if there is anything particular you would like to know more about, as well as your thoughts and feedback on naval combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1489630/view/3065238927485500637
Developer Spotlight - The Music of Carrier Command 2

568cee3eac7fc6b9853dd9aacbce0269c6ba872d.png

Dear Players,

In developer spotlight posts, we discuss the detail and ideas behind Carrier Command 2.

In this post, we discuss the sound track of Carrier Command 2, it's inspirations and development. We are also sharing a preview of some of the music to help describe the sound of the game.

Turn your speakers up and check out the music preview here:

youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

The direction of Carrier Command 2 is to mix the scope and precision of modern gaming with the creativity and pioneering spirit of the original game, and to celebrate the golden era of 1980s gaming. Many parts of the art style make reference to this, with low poly graphics and pixel art. In terms of music, we want to achieve a similar reflection of this era of gaming.

We are inspired by many well executed films and TV shows such as Tron Legacy and Stranger Things which capture the zeitgeist of an age gone by, in a way that captures the feeling of nostalgia and an appreciation of the styles of the era.

We are also inspired by original works of the 1980s, particularly of Ridley Scotts 1982 classic, Bladerunner. The sound track created by Vangelis creates a unique identity and brilliantly supports the incredible visual visual design that tells the story of their neo-noir world.

The Carrier Command 2 sound track is created by Chris Randle and Jon Daou, two brilliant composers who we have been working with for over 7 years and 5 games. Previously, they had produced a short 36 second main theme and soundscape for a small text based game we had developed called True Legacy. We loved working together in this style and had been waiting years for a new opportunity to take that style further.

Their sound track for Carrier Command 2 comprises of a main theme, 3 in game tracks (each with 3 layers corresponding to a state of alertness) and a boss fight theme. They are also working to produce an album version, designed for listening as music rather than integrated into a game, where the music is designed to loop and change procedurally.

42172044eaf51b52dfdd7bd24a8cc6f711d6d466.jpg

Sound and music is such an important part of the experience of playing a game, so we have been very excited about developing this, and pushing this aspect as far as we can. A huge thank you to Chris and Jon who have wildly surpassed our expectations yet again.

We would love to hear your thoughts and feedback on the music and direction of the game. Let us know in the comments!

In the mean time, development is going very well and we are working on final features that we are really passionate about. We are hoping to make some new exciting announcements soon! Until then...

Much love <3,

The Carrier Command Developers

downwardspiral

Learned
Not directly made by stormworks team but if they got influence from them.
There is a good chance this game going to have good autistic vehicle FPOV/cockpit gameplay.
The bridge MFD interface already looks like something that is made in stormworks.
I hope they also get a bit of inspiration from the TMA of dangerous water, which is something already possible in stormworks.

And the damage control and simulation, wish it would have partially damaged ship where you need to isolate the chamber to prevent further tilting and sinking.(which is somewhat possible in stormworks)
Something that could provide good immersion to make player feel like they are really operating a huge mobile base.

Edit
Forget to put on the old news.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/573090/view/2949259187600688187

If they done it right, the cockpit aspect of the game won't feeling like a gimmick or something trivial.
Stormworks's cockpict management is more autistic than planeX, P3D or FSX without paid aircraft and flight computer mods. However I think they will down scale that autism in this game for a more RTS friendly gameplay.
It is still nice to to see something different in modern days and the revival of Microprose ofc.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
how many games has the new Microprose released so far?

I have serious doubts they even have people working on all those announcements and how their pockets could be so deep.

Something just doesn't feel right, a new publishers appears announces 20 games, nothing ever gets released, and they keep announcing more.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well this is exactly how PlayWay S.A. (the premier Polish shovelware producer) operates. They announce dozens of various titles, create Steam pages for them and then nothing happens, often for years. I guess they might actually be using Steam wishlisting as a sort of marketing survey - they announce ton of stuff and then actually work only on things that seem to get good reception. Microprose might be trying something like this too, though I sure hope that aint the case, because a lot of their stuff is actually interesting.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how many games has the new Microprose released so far?

I have serious doubts they even have people working on all those announcements and how their pockets could be so deep.

Something just doesn't feel right, a new publishers appears announces 20 games, nothing ever gets released, and they keep announcing more.
It is possible that they publish these games without putting any money upfront, and just do some PR stuff, and let them use the Microprose name in exchange for a cut. Several publishers work like this.

Do you have original ideas?
Have a game you need to get off the ground, then contact us and see if we can help.

Have a game that is highly developed?
Need someone to help you publish your project, then contact us.

Seeking a partner?
We are always looking for opportunities to help with interesting and innovative projects.

#2 and #3 would not cost them much. I highly doubt they are doing a lot of #1, where they need to give an unknown developer money to fund the development of the game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
It is possible that they publish these games without putting any money upfront, and just do some PR stuff, and let them use the Microprose name in exchange for a cut. Several publishers work like this.

But then it's just a bunch of developers who use the name Microprose. A publisher without money has no artistic control and there is gonna be a bunch of shit games with perhaps 1 or 2 nuggets.

Also the fact that original Microprose went bust because people pirated their games and bought arcade games instead, does not bode well.

Call that negatitity if you want but I am never in favor of necroing dead brands. It never worked, not a single time.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

But then it's just a bunch of developers who use the name Microprose. A publisher without money has no artistic control and there is gonna be a bunch of shit games with perhaps 1 or 2 nuggets.

Also the fact that original Microprose went bust because people pirated their games and bought arcade games instead, does not bode well.

Call that negatitity if you want but I am never in favor of necroing dead brands. It never worked, not a single time.
Wasn't it rather that the original Microprose busted because they invested in arcade games at the time they were dying?

downwardspiral

Learned
Pretty much just bunch of small devs under the name of a publisher. Why would it be anything other than that?
The theme they play is some kinds of old fashion mil/sim focus game that is less obscure.
Microprose's name somewhat help them to get attention to people who might be interested in those genre.
If that brand/fame drive more small dev to make those kinds of games, I don't see much of a problem.
Quality control from publisher is not something I expect in 2020s. It is better to have more published and see if I would get one that is good.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Also:
https://store.steampowered.com/news..._medium=tweet&utm_campaign=twitter-2021-06-15

Steam Next Festival: Carrier Command 2 Free Demo Available Now!
ecc74a090cd90199ce218e04baec592030104799.png

Dear Players,

We are taking part in the Steam Next Festival, which is 6 days where games releasing soon share their demos, and do live streams.

We have a free demo live now that you can download and play through Steam. This version of the game is similar to the playtest, but with many updates and new improvements! We have been reading the hundreds of detailed feedback that players sent us from the last playtest, and we have implemented as much as we can so far. Thank you so much to all the players who took the time to give us feedback - it is very important to us and very appreciated :)

We are doing a developer live stream on Thursday at 4pm UTC for 2 hours. We will be playing multiplayer on the full version of the game, chatting about the game, the design, plans, and answering your questions live on stream! Please come and join us!

We may also test multiplayer in the demo over the coming days - we just have a few more things to do before we can add it to the demo! The multiplayer feature may appear and disappear, as we change and improve it!

The demo will only be available during the Steam Next Festival, which runs from June 16 to 22.

Please feel free to add more feedback, through the in-game button or below in the comments - we read everything carefully and will discuss your feedback as a team.

Much love <3,

The Carrier Command Developers

Patch Notes

demo0.0.2

Fixes

- Fixed carrier being teleported into the air sometimes when landing aircraft
- Fixed islands sometimes not spawning
- Fixed carrier propulsion still functioning when propulsion breaker is switched off
- Fixed carrier radar still functioning when radar breaker is switched off
- Fixed TV-guided missile camera being rotated 90 degrees when equipped on Razorbill
- Fixed surface observation camera being equip-able on Razorbill
- Fixed observation camera having inverted controls
- Fixed torpedoes often targeting furthest vehicle instead of nearest/best target
- Fixed surface missile turret firing the wrong direction when manually controlled
- Turret attachments no longer try to target drydocks
- Improved explosion rendering performance
- Fixed rotor vehicles taking off at a sharp angle
- Fixed camera jittering when entering a seat at low framerates
- Improved barge buoyancy so they don't jump out of the water as much
- Fixed audio popping artefacts
- Fixed ocean foam flickering on AMD graphics
- Improved vehicle obstacle avoidance and fixed issue where vehicles often wouldn't try to avoid other vehicles
- Fixed crash when trying to dock a vehicle when no bays are available on the carrier

Changes
- Scrollbars can be dragged with the mouse
- Altitude selector +/- buttons can be held down instead of needing to be repeatedly clicked
- Waypoint altitude defaults to 1000m instead of 200m
- Game paused if controller disconnects
- Game paused when Steam overlay is opened
- Rotor vehicles take off from the top of the lift instead of taxiing
- Added additional sound effects to carrier when impacting waves and launching from the drydock

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Navigating around in the carrier is cool and gives a sense of how much you can do on the strategy layer. Unfortunately, the everything else is left with much to be desired. Vehicles skate around like they're permanently on ice and can clip through each other. Terrain objects are impenetrable. Aircraft controls are weird.

The only thing it succeeds at is making me want to replay Hostile Waters, which is far superior to many "strategy/sim" games out there :P

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I only just found this! I can't believe Microprose are back although I am sceptical too. I'm also concerned about their graphics approach. I think retro graphics are great for most games and their graphics look great as far as retro goes, but for simulations I'm not sure it can work. The only flying a lot of younger people will have seen is in Battlefield games or whatever which looks amazing (because it's not a real flying game). So this is gonna need great gameplay to compensate for what people are used to. I hope it works out though, they made great games. I've blabbed about Gunship2000 on here many times, it was amazing. It felt as real as simulations at the time but it was simplified and easier to play, more actiony. But then instead of focusing on flying you focus on the weapons and targeting and you get promoted over a career, and then you get to lead a squadron of choppers and you can issue them commands on a map etc. And you give them medals and promotions too which upgrades them. Classic 90s game being awesome.

I gotta wonder if the sense of scope the games had relative to 90s can be reproduced today. For a game today to be as impressive as stuff like Gunship 2000 was back in 1991 or whatever, it would need to look great, feel high tech, and be packed with good gameplay. Maybe they can pull that off...? But they would probably be the only dev in the world right now that can.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think there's a chance that the retro approach to simulation graphics can work. Many people suspect the reason why flight simulations and the ilk died off is because things were getting to simulationist, you know, every button on the keyboard does something vital to survival in the skies and if you turn the wrong way you will crash. Perhaps this kind of graphical style will make people think "aha, a flight sim that doesn't look like I need to be a pilot to understand!" and have fun. That's the theory anyway, in practice, Ace Combat seems to be doing pretty well, and that's realistic and arcadey. If I knew how to get people to play games, I wouldn't be idling thinking about it on an internet forum.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah promotion is everything. Now that I looked at more videos of it I think it looks good. It is so smooth and everything is so well done, the low-fi aspect will probably be ok. It also probably means it rocks for VR people. I can't believe they are back, they could be huge if they play their cards right.

downwardspiral

Learned
What's the deal with these games. How does it fit in with say CMANO?

CC 2 is one of those FPS + vehicle commanding type of game, they emphasized more on immersion, targeting who want to feel like they are in the command center of a carrier but not necessary weaponry enthusiast.
CMANO is a RTT with database, targeting weaponry enthusiast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom