Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
You can go around killing hundreds of creatures but you aren't allowed to do it if you believe in mean things that upset people on the internet

NoSoup4you

Learned
Was gonna finally check this game out, got excited about the mechanics, and then found out about the devs' hamfisted woke bullshit. Have modders fixed it?

Trithne

Erudite
Was gonna finally check this game out, got excited about the mechanics, and then found out about the devs' hamfisted woke bullshit. Have modders fixed it?

If you're referring to not being able to join the Templars, while they made it a "woke" thing after it blew up due to that one YoiTuber, it's really more like not being able to join the Master's Army.

The Templars are genetic purists with Hapsburg levels of inbreeding. They consider even True Kin characters to be tainted, but they won't be automatically hostile to them. But you aren't going to be pure enough. It's that simple.

Q Girl is less woke and more Oblivion Essential NPC protection. She actually loses her immunity to death once her dying would no longer soft lock your campaign.

The devs are absolutely woke asshats who sit on their safe space curated discord and shield paedophiles, but the game itself isn't really woke.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Afaik, no, there's no mod for stuff like the Q-girl tranny self-insert character, or mods to let you start as a Templar or play as one.

But you can always ask on their Discord to be sure. :M

And there's no fixing the devs. I wouldn't recommend QUD unless you're pirating it, for reasons I'll get censored for again if I talk about them.
the game itself isn't really woke.
It is, according to the devs, but probably not as obviously as Bear Sex 3 and the like.

Trithne

Erudite
I mean yes, they say that.

And yes it's very loosely Judaic. It clearly takes place in the far future of the Levant. And Q Girl is cringe and they should write a better main plot that doesn't require essential NPCs.

But in practice it's... really not all that "queer"?

Their idea that the "chuds" will hate the game is because they think "not killing everyone different to you on sight" is a "leftist ideal". Even though mass murder is what you do in the game anyway.

Their Overton window is so skewed they think the game is more radical than it is.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, Sseth made it look fun with the crazy shit you could do. Still, Elin Is gonna rape the fuck out of Qud.

….. we’ll see.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
stuff like the Q-girl tranny self-insert character,
I don't know why this meme is so persistent, but there was no one for her to be a self-insert of when she was added to Qud. Was just Brian and Jason back then afaik, and neither claims to be a woman.

Don't have to think she's a good character, or well written, or whatever to see that the self-insert thing was just meme'd into truth without any substance behind it.

Sibylla

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag!
It's just cringe shit no wonder most players thought of the same thing.

Also what did they do to the UI of this game? They revamped it two times now and current version is a nauseous turn off. your roguelike license is revoked!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why this meme is so persistent, but there was no one for her to be a self-insert of when she was added to Qud. Was just Brian and Jason back then afaik, and neither claims to be a woman.

Don't have to think she's a good character, or well written, or whatever to see that the self-insert thing was just meme'd into truth without any substance behind it.

I don't think it's that far fetched, you'll never convince me that Pallegina isn't some kind of suppressed desire by Sawyer to troon out.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Not contesting whether it's cringe or not; just kinda peeved by seeing the same abject nonsense repeated ad nauseam. (And criticising things on demonstrably false terms undermines other, substantiated criticisms one might have.)

Also what did they do to the UI of this game? They revamped it two times now and current version is a nauseous turn off. your roguelike license is revoked!
If they made the new UI the default there should still be an option to turn it off, i.e. revert to the old more traditional @'like one. I can check later if you can't find it, haven't played it in a damn long time.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Not contesting whether it's cringe or not; just kinda peeved by seeing the same abject nonsense repeated ad nauseam. (And criticising things on demonstrably false terms undermines other, substantiated criticisms one might have.)
What difference does that make if it is a self-insert or not? Difference other than you being upset that is. The character itself is cringe as i understand. Self-insert or not, the cringe is (mostly) not about self-inserting. In other words, you are nitpicking.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What difference does that make if it is a self-insert or not? Difference other than you being upset that is.
Oh yes, I am so very upset. Distraught even. Despite not defending the character.

The difference is self-inserts are indulgent wish fulfillment on the authors' part. It is a deeper (and fair, when it is actually substantiated) criticism than simply bad writing, which if anything has long been the norm in games.

I liked Qud's worldbuilding, but I don't remember having any meaningful praise to say about the characters or dialogue I came across.

notpl

Arbiter

I think if q-girl is based off the fursona of some 14-year-old they/them the creator was grooming on discord at the time it still counts as "self-insert," it doesn't have to be that literal. And this is almost certainly what happened.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/333640/view/4137190132757570713
Joppa and UI Rework + more! Caves of Qud Dev News
Plus our next mod jam!
Hey everyone,

It’s Alexandra from Kitfox Games with some development and community news! We are working towards the final, major content update before 1.0 release. Much like the Creatures of the 7th Plague, this one will have a ton of new features, bug fixes and improvements.

The team has been working on a full UI rework complete with fully mouseable, gamepadable, gorgeous updates for every screen. Here are some mockup screenshots of the new UI:

944369e927e580e17ea0c3ca6b1bea88e875e86c.png

e18fa98d1f33c57b8efb845973364431e3bff7c6.png

d7189229033f4416f7c7f32e444522048e8eee7f.png

3fab2c2d04fa4b8deaa88806128a7de001bcceea.png

Joppa is also getting a refresh! Everyone’s favourite starting area is going to be as textured and lived-in as the rest of the world. More to show on this later!

Along with those major reworks, the update will also include:
  • Hundreds of new sound and visual effects
  • 40 new achievements
  • New death can and icons
  • Several new narrative touches
  • Big bug fixes and performance improvements
You can expect this update to be released in Q2.

Jam with us!
The folks in the Caves of Qud community are doing another mod jam!! The theme this time around is...Vignettes.

Like last time, they'll be compiling mods from the jam into a modpack. Unlike last time, they're allowing C# scripting - so they've also extended the duration to a week. Beginner modders are still very much welcome and encouraged to join! If you've ever been curious to try modding now is the perfect chance!

The jam will run from March 15, 6:00 PM to March 22 6:00 PM EST.

To sign up for the jam visit: https://itch.io/jam/caves-of-qud-modding-jam-2
If you've got questions, visit us on the Kitfox Discord in the #⁠qud-jam channel

That’s all for now! We will have more details, about the major update in the coming months so stay tuned!

-Alexandra + Freehold

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/333640/view/4195740727955544983
Roadmap to 1.0 ️ Caves of Qud Dev Update
and all new interface is nearly ready to play
Hey quddites!

As you probably know, we announced that Caves of Qud is finally releasing on Steam in its full glory later this year, after more than 15 years of work. But we haven’t talked a ton about how we get there and what’s left to do. So let’s get to it!

Very Soon: Spring Molting
We’ve decided to put out one last pre-release feature arc on our Journey to 1.0. This update is already in private beta, coming to Patreon supporters extremely soon, and then going to open beta in early May & releasing a few weeks after that. Here’s what’s included:

- ALL NEW INTERFACE The much-touted, transformational UI redesign is complete! Fully mouseable, fully gamepaddable, and gorgeous, but all carefully designed to maintain the essence of what makes Qud Qud.
- a refresh of the starting town of Joppa, with as much texture & lived-in feeling as the rest of the world
- hundreds of new sound and visual effects
- 40 new achievements
- several new narrative touches, big bug fixes, & performance improvements

6bbcbd7bd9667866c5fe0d5f16b80e7bb5adfb73.png

Gallery of the gorgeous new interface: https://imgur.com/a/slSlWbh

Summer & Fall 2024: Secrets til Launch!
We don’t want to spoil everything, but throughout summer and fall our central project will be to finish the main quest, and then add something to satisfy those who complete the entire narrative arc of Caves of Qud. We’ll add a more hands-on tutorial, too.

There’s also always tons of t’s to cross and i’s to dot when finishing a game: those last achievements, missing sounds and visual effects, more bugfixes, etc. All of these things will need to be built and tested behind closed doors, and they’ll keep us busy.

Late 2024: Launch
No, we don’t have a date, as it’s still awhile away and we don’t want to be up against the marketing budget of the next Assassin’s Cry: Breath of the Duty (trademark pending).

Part of the lead-up to launch is preparing the game architecture so we can properly handle big meaty updates post-launch. Which begs the question…

What About After Launch?
Yep! We’re going to keep updating the game! Major content and system releases. Of course how many exactly does depend on the financial realities of sales, but no matter what, we have two big DLCs planned already. We honestly don’t know yet if they’ll be paid purchases or free upgrades, but we’re thinking about the right approach.

We’re also considering how to best support other platforms. It’s not urgent or pressing, but we want to make sure we don’t code ourselves into a corner if/when the time comes to maintain several control schemes, hardware, etc.

Back to Work!
Those are all the updates for now. We’ll shout-n-video when we have Spring Molting up on Steam for you, but hopefully this clears up any lingering confusion about what comes next. Feel free to keep asking us questions on the Discord; we’re watching out for ‘em.

Live and drink,

Tanya, Alexandra, Jason, and Brian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom