Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I like AI generated crap for what it is and if can show some nightmarish weird shit. I enjoy art made by humans because it usually has something that screams made by real people but there are artists through time that have created nightmarish weird shit like a bad acid trip. It really depends.

TheKing01

Novice
I can't reasonably stand rogue-like games, and that didn't change with this game.

How do Codexers handle the procedural generation? Do you also enjoy AI-generated art? It's in-human and the people supporting it are questionable in their morals and ideological perspective.
Why do you belive all or even most RLs have "AI-generated art". I don't remember ASCII being AI generated. Many simple tilesets aren't either. In general, this isn't a specific RL ussue. don't even the part about "morals" of people using AI. Bad, bad people.

As to procedural generation, it is what it is. Some people don't like it, others recognize its advantages in a genre lke classic roguelikes. Nothing to "handle", it's like asking: "How you handle first person perspective in action(-ey) games?" - the question is nonsense.
That wasn't a mutually exclusive accusation.

It's not 'either or', it's do you enjoy randomly generated content.

What are these advantages? Plentiful content? Play another game. I'd go back to Skyrim and just enjoy the quests created by Bethesda before I mire myself in radiant, procedural, infinite, never-ending or whatever else cope-word Codexers use to justify their fascination with being obsessed with fun mechanics over actual, substant content.

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most procedural writing is better what these 'writers' these days produce anyways, for example the Rimworld narrator. If you want to enjoy 'substant content' (wtf that even is), go read a book.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Please use simpler words. Me are simple guy. What isn't mutually exclusive?" What is not "either or"?

Yes , I do enjoy procedural generation in some games. I had some discussions about it previously and i have no intention to repeat what was said. If you are truly interesteed in the subject (instead of trolling - which you obviously do), you will look for it.
I have no idea what is the "fascination of Codexers" - care to elaborate how do you know what those are? And add to that: why wanting "fun mechanics" over "actual, substant content" (whatever that sh*t is) in a computer game is an "obssession" at all?

BTW, whose alt are you? And no, don't start with"no one's". I know for a fact that you are one. I even recognize the style, just can't add a name to it at this moment. Rusty is that you? Someone else?

Zeriel

Arcane
I can't reasonably stand rogue-like games, and that didn't change with this game.

How do Codexers handle the procedural generation? Do you also enjoy AI-generated art? It's in-human and the people supporting it are questionable in their morals and ideological perspective.

Some roguelikes (mostly lites) manage to be semi-good in spite of the genre, not because of it. But yeah, I agree. It's like Soulslikes--they've completely colonized and replaced better genres, so sometimes you just have to play them because there's nothing else and people make them instead of better games, but I wish they were a tiny niche, not a dominator.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Some roguelikes (mostly lites) manage to be semi-good in spite of the genre, not because of it. But yeah, I agree. It's like Soulslikes--they've completely colonized and replaced better genres, so sometimes you just have to play them because there's nothing else and people make them instead of better games, but I wish they were a tiny niche, not a dominator.
Classic roguelikes WERE, ARE and always WILL BE a tiny niche. They also exist since the early days of computer gaming and never colonized anything. They are also one of the better CRPG sub-genre. It concentrates on mechanics, gameplay and challenge (unlike vast majority of CRPGs that are made for morons) instead of fluff.
As to rogue-lites, the word doesn't have any real meaning or definition. And I can't think of any genre that lost because people call every game with permadeath made in the past 2 decades a "roguelike". Care to name a few "colonized better genres"?

"some roguelites are semi-good" = "I don't like roguelikes". Fair enough. I don't like action RPGs. Some Codexers don't like "blobbers". Etc...
"...in spite of the genre" = I don't know what I'm talking about.

Zeriel

Arcane

Classic roguelikes WERE, ARE and always WILL BE a tiny niche. They also exist since the early days of computer gaming and never colonized anything. They are also one of the better CRPG sub-genre. It concentrates on mechanics, gameplay and challenge (unlike vast majority of CRPGs that are made for morons) instead of fluff.
As to rogue-lites, the word doesn't have any real meaning or definition. And I can't think of any genre that lost because people call every game with permadeath made in the past 2 decades a "roguelike". Care to name a few "colonized better genres"?

"some roguelites are semi-good" = "I don't like roguelikes". Fair enough. I don't like action RPGs. Some Codexers don't like "blobbers". Etc...
"...in spite of the genre" = I don't know what I'm talking about.

I think roguelites are pretty easy to define. They are games with "runs" where you keep repeating short gameplay loops with persistent upgrades that build up over time and make the game easier (or more often, are required to beat the game unless you play 100% perfectly, some even seem to make it mathematically impossible without them, like vampire survivor clones).

Whereas roguelikes reward knowledge, roguelites reward time spent.

Anyway, you sound very triggered. Obviously that's just my opinion. As indicated by... the fact I posted it.

notpl

Arbiter
Also, Qud is the wrong game for that specific complaint, since almost every named location in the game - including every main quest dungeon - is hand-crafted and identical from run to run.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The best way can put it is that you play roguelikes for the gameplay, not for the content. Even then, good roguelikes like ToME and CoQ know how to use procedural generation to complement the handcrafted elements. The things that matter are handcrafted.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/333640/view/6973349936528070885
Journey to 1.0! Final preparations + new price
Hey friends,

It’s been a while since we’ve had a big news post, so we want to give you an update as we head towards our 1.0 launch at the end of the year. We don’t have a more specific release date yet, but we will let you know as soon as we do...

The team has reached some major milestones in completing the enormous amount of detail work it takes to get Qud to 1.0. We recently finished rewriting descriptions for the 2,000+ (!!!) objects in the game. Here’s the last one we did: it’s trash.

71b198beb298b7548614d8969a3cd1fbab86831f.png

We also finished activated ability descriptions, message log messages, sound effects for everything in the game (over 1,000). And we fixed some long-standing bug chains with cooking, cloning, and creature attitudes.

So what is left to do? Aside from more detail, there are two major pieces. First is the tutorial, which we’re designing specifically to teach the
very basics
of Qud and help new players get their footing. We’re far along and will be making it available to Patreon backers and private testers soon.

Second is the endgame. How do you end a game like Caves of Qud? Well, we’ve had the outline for 15 years, and we’re finally making good on it. Endings are hard, we take the task very seriously, and to be frank:
we are absolutely cooking
! Can’t say anything else yet, but we’re so excited to share it soon.

As we head into the endgame…
A few important things to know as we approach the finish line.

1. No More Feature Fridays.
    This Feature Friday (September 20th) will be the last one until 1.0! We’re going heads down to give full focus to the endgame.
  2. Tutorial Beta is Coming.
    Early next month, we’ll put the tutorial up on a beta branch and ask folks to help us test. Be on the lookout!
  3. The Price is Going Up.
    After much consideration to many factors, including how far the game has come since our Early Access launch in 2015, we’ve decided to raise the price on
    October 29th
    to $29.99 USD (and the OST to $9.99). This will be the final price heading into 1.0. We wanted to give as much notice as possible so that folks can get the game at its current price and take advantage of the 10% off sale running now. Please tell your friends who’ve been on the fence to pick up the game before the price goes up!

We are nearly there, and we’re feeling it: excited, exhausted, etc. We’re committed to having these last few updates put a satisfying capstone on the game while also welcoming new players with (multiple) open arms. Thank you so much to everyone who has stuck with us for the long haul.

Soon...

32ee4ffaf6389a2eebbaedf910f924a6567ec69b.gif

Live and drink!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/333640/view/4659626075687384642
Final Feature Friday!
Hey folks,
If you missed this announcement, tonight's Feature Friday will be the last one before our 1.0 launch later this year. We're going heads down to give full focus to the endgame. Thanks for observing this Friday ritual with us week after week, and we'll see you again soon!

Live and drink.

• Added a clickable close button to the status screens frame.
  • We changed how the procedurally generated, white-titled books work when read.
    • Most of the time, reading a generated book displays a short excerpt from the book instead of the full, several-page text.
    • You'll occasionally still find full-text books.
    • Due to this change, Ruin of House Isner secrets are still findable but rarer. To offset his, we've made the location secret appear more frequently when you trade for or discover journal secrets.
  • The gun rack and cathedra cybernetics can no longer rust.
  • Removed biome and stratum information from slynth sanctuary choices.
  • The "of terrifying visage" mod now shows the effect on cooldown for Berate, Intimidate, and Menacing Stare in the ability menu.
  • Removed "fast travels much faster" from the description of the flying effect since that bonus is no longer tied to the effect.
  • Horns now displays its to-hit bonus in the mutation description and on the Horns (or variants) natural weapon description.
  • Tweaked troll foal character level.
  • You know complete the Disable the Magnetic Field step of the Tomb of the Eaters quest after [redacted].
  • You can now enter the [redacted] without the Tomb of the Eaters quest without having the game lock up.
  • A sound is now played when your sharpened polyp crumbles to dust.
  • A sound is now played when you activate the Temple of the Rock platform.
  • World generation tier is now set correctly for objects generated at worldgen time such as lair owners.
  • Gave becoming nooks way more HP.s
  • Made the ingredient baskets and medical chests in the Yd Freehold unowned.s
  • Added missing grenades to some artifact tables.
  • Fixed Mass Mind not properly cooling down mental mutations.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the second golem spawned from using cloning draught as a catalyst to not be your follower.
  • Fixed a bug that caused ickslugs birthed by a snailmother to adopt a docile demeanor.
  • Fixed a bug with village apothecary stats.
  • Fixed an error in the display of the cleave amonut for gigantic axes.
  • Fixed an issue that caused mutations added from cooking recipes to not be applied properly in some cases.
  • Fixed an issue that caused cooking effects to not apply their effects but still remove the effect when wearing off in some cases.
  • Fixed an issue that caused skills added from cooking recipes to not be applied properly in some cases.
  • Fixed a bug with the tier of metal locker contents.
  • Fixed some issues with cybernetic credit wedge chests.
  • Fixed some description typos in Syphon Vim and some creature objects.
  • [modding] Added a RegionalObject part, which can place keyed groups from a population table based on the zone's terrain region.
  • [modding] Cleaned up the StreamingAssets folder.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Will the templars be playable in the final version?
there's one central questline which requires siding with the barathrumites, but there's a mod to play as a templar (I haven't tried it)

lack of a branching questline is the worst thing about this game imo, and siding with the "bad guys" would be a cool option ofc

Alex

Arcane
Will the templars be playable in the final version?
there's one central questline which requires siding with the barathrumites, but there's a mod to play as a templar (I haven't tried it)

lack of a branching questline is the worst thing about this game imo, and siding with the "bad guys" would be a cool option ofc

Bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom