Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt RED has been hacked, hacker threatens to release CP2077 and Witcher 3 source code

Gahbreeil

Learned
Listen up, news says the data was bought outside of the auction.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Ha the fun never ends with this game.

How the Universe works and Consciousness. "Your focus of thought brings those things into your world."

Cyberpunk, Cyberpunk, and we get Punked is not Ironic.

Good Luck CD Project!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why would the code be worth that much? First you need people that know how to read it,then you can't really use it by copy/paste it because it will be recognized and they will get sued by the EU. I don't see much of commercial value,at best it could be used as starting pillars for a new game,but i doubt that it could make up for the price....if real.

Terra

Cipher
It's gone from bad to worse. First CD Projekt, now the Codex has been hacked. Just found this ransom note on the encrypted servers.
upload_2021-2-11_22-25-58-png.17514
The hacker clearly doesn't know who he's blackmailing. Imagine demanding nudes of codex members and specifying no trannies. Here's a picture of the hacker in a few months time.
LkgpGnX.jpg

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Holy moley..... Dreed!!! I feel flattered about all your attention!

You must hate me hahah!:D

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I keep seeing people on reddit etc saying, people will copy parts of the source code.

None of them seem to have any understanding of how hard it would be to actually copy complex sections of engine code into another engine. Let alone that it's likely spaghetti code with polish comments.

Also what does Red Engine do so well that other engines don't?

I can see China use the code, they don't give a fuck copying stuff.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I keep seeing people on reddit etc saying, people will copy parts of the source code.

None of them seem to have any understanding of how hard it would be to actually copy complex sections of engine code into another engine. Let alone that it's likely spaghetti code with polish comments.

Also what does Red Engine do so well that other engines don't?

I can see China use the code, they don't give a fuck copying stuff.

It's probably more work to copy a section of spaghetti code using god knows what middleware and libraries into another engine than it is to just write your own functionality.

Chinese are more likely to just use Unity/UE4 and not abide by the licensing requirements.

Antigoon

Augur
It's probably more work to copy a section of spaghetti code using god knows what middleware and libraries into another engine than it is to just write your own functionality.

Chinese are more likely to just use Unity/UE4 and not abide by the licensing requirements.

Yes, this.
I don't think anyone bought that with the intent to somehow commercially use the source code. It was probably just some rich dude with way too much money who bought this as a collectible/curiousity to show off to his friends.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The suspicious part of me does wonder if CDPR would make a big public claim of not paying the ransom and then secretly pay it, either in their name or with a third party agent.

These hacker groups (guys that do ransomware etc), generally do keep their word as it makes future victims more likely to pay up if they aren't seen to be pulling shenanigans after payment.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Who the fuck even wants the source code of this shit lmao.

Maybe modders will fix it now though.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Unless you're Chinese and want groundwork for some knockoff game who would want to have anything to do with illegally acquired source code, though? Release something based on it and anyone catching a whiff of what you have will get you crucified. I still remember Too Human and that was over "just" using Unreal 3 code in their own engine.

Codex Year of the Donut
The suspicious part of me does wonder if CDPR would make a big public claim of not paying the ransom and then secretly pay it, either in their name or with a third party agent.

These hacker groups (guys that do ransomware etc), generally do keep their word as it makes future victims more likely to pay up if they aren't seen to be pulling shenanigans after payment.
You'd have to be retarded to pay a ransom for something that's infinitely reproducible.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Unless you're Chinese and want groundwork for some knockoff game who would want to have anything to do with illegally acquired source code, though? Release something based on it and anyone catching a whiff of what you have will get you crucified. I still remember Too Human and that was over "just" using Unreal 3 code in their own engine.

It's more that the code is shit. You would only end up making your game worse by stealing anything from this game lul

Falksi

Arcane
The password they broke to get it was apparently "HeinzMayo&HPBrown"

Sauce code.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom